Traveling with Newborns: The After

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
My 4 little kids do so well when we travel, which is surprising, because, well, I'll be the first to admit they are not the most well behaved children, especially my three year old! I know most people think traveling with young kids is just either A. too hard or B. a waste because they won't even remember it. I obviously disagree, or actually do agree but am a glutton for punishment, depends on the day, but really, to me, the hardest part is coming home. Especially with the baby! When we travel, she gets my undivided attention. I'm usually wearing her as we gallavant through town and the second she makes a peep I nurse her because who wants to deal with a screaming baby on a train/plane/etc.

When we get home she is THE WORST, which is totally understandable. I mean, she goes from getting everything she wants at the drop of a hat to, "Hey, dad is back at work for 21 days straight and there are four of you and only one of me!"

Anyway, what I'm getting at is, are there any earth shattering pieces of advice you have for getting back into the swing of things once you get back home? I know that eventually she will readjust and life will go on as normal, but man, it would be nice if she jumped right back into her schedule when we walked through the front door! Wishful thinking! PS, we should totally have a traveling with little kids/big families thread!