Travel time between LHR and LGW

Suzie

Level 2 Member
What is the minimum time necessary to transit between these two airports?

LHR -> LGW on a Friday am during rush hour.

Best mode of transportation?

Many thanks.

36902BRF

Level 2 Member
https://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/travel-between-airports gives you some info. Looks like at least an hour to do it and it isn't particularly cheap. You will also need to factor navigating the airports at either end. Immigration and customs at Heathrow (frequently a mess) and security at Gatwick. I would probably leave at least 5-6 hours honestly especially if I was on separate tickets. Actually I'd think long and hard about doing this at all. Also if you are doing this anytime around Brexit (end of March 2019) I would even think a lot harder.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
If I fly with LHR->LGW connection (5 hours) I can get all the way to my destination on one ticket. Otherwise it's an overnight and a separate flight.

I'm trying to pick the best bad idea. I had not even given Brexit a thought when planning. Something to consider. The flight would be next fall.

Thank you.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Forgot to factor in the overnight - leaves on Friday and the transit would be on a Saturday morning. Maybe not as bad?

Suzie

Level 2 Member
https://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/travel-between-airports gives you some info. Looks like at least an hour to do it and it isn't particularly cheap. You will also need to factor navigating the airports at either end. Immigration and customs at Heathrow (frequently a mess) and security at Gatwick. I would probably leave at least 5-6 hours honestly especially if I was on separate tickets. Actually I'd think long and hard about doing this at all. Also if you are doing this anytime around Brexit (end of March 2019) I would even think a lot harder.
Thank you for your insight on my question. Based on that and knowing my own stress level limits - I did some more checking and was able to find a flight a day earlier - LHR-MAD (so no mad dash to LGW) and arriving in Crete 36 hours earlier than original flight - which is nice!