Travel Power Adapter

Brennan

Level 2 Member
I just bought this Tumi international power adapter...can someone with experience tell me if this is overkill for powering a macbook, iPhone, camera charger, etc?

http://www.tumi.com/na/p/electric-grounded-adaptor-014395D

I don't fully understand transformer vs adapter and when they are necessary. $75 seemed expensive...I'll take it back if I don't actually need it. Recommendations for a worldwide adaptor would be appreciated. Thanks!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I just bought this Tumi international power adapter...can someone with experience tell me if this is overkill for powering a macbook, iPhone, camera charger, etc?

http://www.tumi.com/na/p/electric-grounded-adaptor-014395D

I don't fully understand transformer vs adapter and when they are necessary. $75 seemed expensive...I'll take it back if I don't actually need it. Recommendations for a worldwide adaptor would be appreciated. Thanks!
Most items you'd use (including that list) don't need a converter, as it is built in already. The apple stuff is fine, and likely the camera charger- have a look at it and see if it says range 110-220 or not...

We did blow a device recently but that was because it didn't have the converter built in- just a cable. Luckily it was just the charger itself that blew and we swapped it out for a generic one overseas.

Shouldn't pay more than $10 I guess for a travel adapter.

Haley

I am not a robot
An adapter is needed because of variation in plug shapes, I have a travel adapter set that is about 30 years old. Small and light weight are what you want.

Many things are dual voltage and will work fine with just an adapter. Look for markings that say 110/220. I can charge any of my batteries with just an adapter. I do not always directly plug in my laptop with just the adapter (even though it is dual voltage), sometimes I just charge the battery, otherwise I'd want a surge protector which is just another thing to have to pack. I do just plug in my iPad and iPhones. Same cautions as I'd use in US with pluging things in.

A transformer or converter (not the same thing) change the electricity flow. Yeah, not the technical term. Which one you need depends on how much wattage you need and if there is a digital display. I doubt you will travel with a microwave or a toaster, though you never know.

There are transformer/converters that will figure out which needs to be done and do it automatically.

Haley

I am not a robot
Things change when you go 30 years out... It looks like newer adapters have surge/over current protection.

And USB ports. I might need a new one.

dpd82

Level 2 Member
That Tumi device is of course, elegant! Probably overkill though. Does your camera battery charge via USB only or can you remove the battery and place it in a charging cradle? I like the OREI adapters available on Amazon because they have two receptacles. I have used the UK and Southern Africa versions and both worked well.
If you ever need a good reference for adapter types, this is a good page. http://www.travelproducts.com/electricity_guide.htm

Brennan

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the replies! I just returned from South Africa and the Tumi does not work down there. Thankfully I just had my iPhone and usb ports are easy to find.

Returning the Tumi and bought a cheaper adapter that works in most countries as well as a adapter specifically for SA.

dpd82

Level 2 Member
Brennon, I'm sorry my reply was too late to be useful. We were traveling as well. The SA plug and the UK plug would also be useful in Botswana as well. I hear adapters for Zambia are a bit of a crapshoot.

Brennan

Level 2 Member
Brennon, I'm sorry my reply was too late to be useful. We were traveling as well. The SA plug and the UK plug would also be useful in Botswana as well. I hear adapters for Zambia are a bit of a crapshoot.
No problem, thanks for the info!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I bought several plug adapters for both Husband and myself for trip to Italy last year, not wanting to be dependent on the usb on SIL's and Daughter's laptops. They were a three pack for about $10 at Target--got two of them.

But completely forgot that I had an overnight layover in London. Luckily, the Radisson Blu at LHR had plug adapters in a vending machine. I charged the phone, the watch and the iPad over the course of the night, getting up in the dark to switch.

And then was able to charge all at once in the first class AA lounge, which had both usb and plug in charging stations.