Travel Delay Benefits - What Issuer Offers The Best Options/Service?

• Thread starter RamboAroundTheWorld
  • Start date
R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I was reading the FT thread on the CSP Travel Delay benefits and it really makes Visa sound like a real pain in the ass to deal with. Although I assume all issuers are a huge pain in the ass to deal with. On the other hand, I never really see threads touting MasterCard or Amex service when dealing with travel delays or trip reimbursement. So I was wondering what you guys thought? Anyone used Mastercard? I found this page touting some benefits:

http://www.mastercard.com/mel/personal/en/promotions/features_benefits_tc.html

And this from my Barclays Arrival booklet:

TRIP CANCELLATION/INTERRUPTION: In the event of the Insured Person’s Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption, we will pay up to the Trip Cancellation/ Trip Interruption Benefit Amount of $1,500. Our payment will not exceed either: 1) the actual Non−Refundable amount paid by the Insured Person for a Common Carrier passenger fare(s); or 2) $1,500. The Insured Person will relinquish to us any unused vouchers, tickets, coupons or travel privileges for which we have reimbursed the Insured Person. The Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption of the Insured Person must be caused by or result from: 1) death, Accidental injury, disease or physical illness of the Insured Person or an Immediate Family Member of the Insured Person; or 2) default of the Common Carrier resulting from Financial Insolvency. The death, Accidental injury, disease or physical illness must be verified by a Physician and must prevent the Insured Person from traveling on a Covered Trip.

smittytabb

Staff member
It's pretty hard to beat the Ritz-Carlton card in terms of benefits. It even includes evacuation insurance, something I had always insured separately (I go to pretty obscure places from time to time).

• Automobile Rental Collision Damage Waiver
    You're protected up to the actual cash value of most rental cars. Primary coverage for damage due to collision or theft is available in the United States and most foreign countries.
    Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation
    When you use The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® Credit Card to pay for your covered trip via train, plane, bus or ship, you are eligible to receive up to $100,000 for medical expenses related to sickness or accidental injury occurring during your trip and not paid or payable by your primary medical insurance. In the event of death during the course of a covered trip, expenses incurred up to $1,000 can be covered to return your body to your home country of residence.
    Roadside Assistance
    You are provided up to $50 per event in the United States and Canada if you need help with towing, delivery of two gallons of gas, jump start, spare-tire change or lockout services.
    Emergency Medical and Dental Coverage
    This supplemental coverage provides up to $2,500 for covered medical or dental expenses and hotel convalescence not paid by your primary medical insurance in the event you need care during your trip.
    Travel Accident Insurance
    When you use The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card to purchase travel tickets on a common carrier (train, plane, bus or ship), you are provided accidental death and dismemberment insurance up to $1,000,000.
    Trip Cancellation Insurance
    Trip cancellation insurance can provide reimbursement to you for the cost of your scheduled passenger fare on a common carrier for a covered trip in the event that the trip must be cancelled or interrupted due to covered reasons.
    Trip Delay Reimbursement
    When traveling on a covered trip, you are provided with up to $500 per ticket purchased with The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card for reasonable expenses — including lodging and meals — provided your trip is subject to a delay of more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay.
    Baggage Delay
    When traveling on a covered trip via train, plane, bus or ship, you are provided with coverage of up to $500 ($100 per day; 5 days maximum) for the emergency purchase of essential items if your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier.
    Lost Luggage Reimbursement
    Have your bags been lost? If your Common Carrier (train, plane, bus or ship) travel tickets were purchased with The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card, you are eligible to receive reimbursement up to $3,000 to repair or replace your checked or carry-on luggage and its contents, due to physical loss or damage by the Common Carrier.
    Travel and Emergency Assistance
    The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card provides you with assistance, including arrangements for money transfers, information on travel requirements, assistance in the location of lost or stolen luggage and more.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Interesting. I wonder if the CSP has the same provision. I notice that the $500 is the same though. Seems to be a standard Visa thing for the high-end cards.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
I actually had to use the travel insurance on my CSP because of the horrible storms back east this winter. Chase said that I did not need to book airfare with the CSP, while the benefits company (really, the claims administrator) did. Chase did a conference call with the three of us, and I had a check in the mail next day. They did need a fair bit of paperwork, but for the $250 it saved me, it was well worth the time. It was done through Crawford Insurance or Chub something.

It is worth noting this was for Travel Cancellation, not Travel Delay.

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
I had to cancel a trip due to the airline canceling a flight. It was certainly not weather related so chase declined to give me a claim. Thankfully I got a refund from the airline.

My biggest problem is although CSP and other chase cards have these benefits, often I end up usign another card for flights e.g. travelocity for the 10% rebate or the airline card for free bags (UA or AA).

Also, chase benefits administrator said, you can make a claim for other parts of your travel only if they are booked with the chase card. I rarely pay for hotels with CSP as I have most of the co branded hotel cards.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
It's worth noting that you don't actually have to use the airline card to get free bags. It's tied to your FF#. While it is in the T&C, you don't HAVE to, and it's just there as a scape goat if there is a problem.

raccah

Level 2 Member
Hey I had to go visit a urgent care out of the country on a trip I was doing. It cost me 225 bux. I used miles to get there, and only paid for the TSA taxes with my 2x Barclays card. Can I get that back from CSP (which I owned then) or Amex cards which I owned then?? Or am I up a creek?

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Hey I had to go visit a urgent care out of the country on a trip I was doing. It cost me 225 bux. I used miles to get there, and only paid for the TSA taxes with my 2x Barclays card. Can I get that back from CSP (which I owned then) or Amex cards which I owned then?? Or am I up a creek?
You can't use your CSP, but you could try to use your Barclays insurance. Its not quite as good as the CSP, but its something. Although, I don't know if sickness once you're already on the trip is something that would be covered.