Transferring AmEx MR points?

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member
I have lots of AmEx MR points and find that I do not often use them as most of our travel is international. I'm thinking of canceling y Plat. AmEx card this January and would like to park the points somewhere. I have the AmEx Blu and the Hilton Honors. Where would you suggest I park them or should I open another AmEx card?

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Preserving their ability to be transferred is always a plus, if possible. I'm also in this boat and just opened a Business Rewards Gold with the annual fee waived to keep mine in the variable state when I cancel my plat after 1/1 and the new airline credit.

That being said, if you do need to transfer, British Airways Avios is a popular transfer partner. They have a good bonus on currently (40% I think) and can be used for many good One World flights. BA flights will have more taxes if in London, and Fuel Surcharges, but partners often are great options, even overseas besides AA flights in the US. I haven't read your blog to see where you travel, but I use Avios in South America (LAN) and Asia (CX and MH), and have planned some trips for a friend with Air Berlin in Europe.

Singapore, ANA, and Air France Flying Blue have some good values if you look into their programs.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
I would definitely open up a Gold Business 50/75K card like Maverick17 said, especially if you don't want to use up an AmEx credit card slot (4 cards). Otherwise, the fee-free Everyday card would be the easiest.

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member
Preserving their ability to be transferred is always a plus, if possible. I'm also in this boat and just opened a Business Rewards Gold with the annual fee waived to keep mine in the variable state when I cancel my plat after 1/1 and the new airline credit.

Thanks Maverick and Miles Junkie. I currently have 3 AmEx cards.

Perhaps looking to sly to South America for our next big trip. I just booked a flight to Germany this spring on KLM using AmEx points with a good redemption. Thinking about opening the Everyday card since it is fee-free.

Thanks for your suggestions.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
For clarity, I meant to say the Gold Biz is a charge card, which DOES NOT count towards the max 4 credit cards for AmEx. Plus the 1st year having the annual fee waived, gives you another year to stave off. So, short term (1 yr) with additional 50/75k points with Gold Biz or long term using the Everyday credit card for your MR point pool.

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member
For clarity, I meant to say the Gold Biz is a charge card, which DOES NOT count towards the max 4 credit cards for AmEx. Plus the 1st year having the annual fee waived, gives you another year to stave off. So, short term (1 yr) with additional 50/75k points with Gold Biz or long term using the Everyday credit card for your MR point pool.
Yes, Miles Junkie, I understood what you were saying but thanks for clarifying in case I didn't.