Total Credit Limits

projectx

Level 2 Member
I've been at this game for a few years but here I am with a noob question! For the most part I have focused on MS. Now that I'm acquiring more cards I'm starting to look at my total credit limit across all banks. Is there a point in which you should look to lower your limits? While I understand a healthy CL is good for your utilization, at what point do banks start to look at the total credit extended to you across ALL banks when applying for new cards?

Last edited:

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Chase: I don’t lower because I want to be able to move credit from one card to another. Course I’m not applying for any new Chase cards.

Citi: I lower when I’m bumping up against the credit limits and they won’t approve for a new card automatically but need to move credit.

Amex: I don’t think they really care and you’re limited on the number of credit cards you can have anyway.

projectx

Level 2 Member
I get all that but I'm talking about overall CLs across all issuers combined. So when I apply for a card from XYZ bank, at what point does that become a problem? 2x income? 3x?

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Any idea what the total CL to income ratio is for Citi?
No idea. I might be able to get a rough idea. On my application spreadsheet I usually write down what income I put on the application and then document if it was auto approved or not. If no one else answers, I’ll try to look it up later.

swazzie

Level 2 Member
The Citi income to CL ratio is ~35% for me across personal cards, after which stopped getting instant approval and had to start moving credit around.