Tokyo

LordByran

Level 2 Member
Also good for planning trains and travel is Hyperdia (http://www.hyperdia.com/en/) which gives additional customization options. I believe they have an app you can download as well.

The one thing I found invaluable was carrying a pocket Wifi device that gave fast internet virtually everywhere in Tokyo, it beats constantly searching for hotspots or paying for a separate plan. Agree with Matt about food, you can't go wrong. One recommendation: the Tsukiji fish market is where I had the freshest, most delicious sushi of my life, and is crammed with charming restaurants and shops worth exploring. Though people swear by going as early as possible in the morning, I went during normal lunch hours and you'll get nearly identical superb quality. My mouth waters just reminiscing about that food...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, I have been curious: how good is your Japanese? I imagine the experience could be very different if you know more of the local language.
Not good. I went knowing none, and picked up a tiny bit. I could get around self sufficiently- eg commute, eat, etc, but not much more. So I had some basic grasp of Kanji to do that.

I'd frequently experience more through others who had the skills.

BrianJapan

Level 2 Member
I lived in Japan for 15 years (10 Osaka and 5 Tokyo)...moved back stateside 3 years ago (NJ)...and have been back about 20 times since (for work and pleasure)...my quick recommendation would be to get a Japan Rail pass and hit Kyoto/Osaka and Hiroshima...spending time outside Tokyo will give you a broader, more "Japanese" experience than just Tokyo...

Road Humps

Level 2 Member
Also good for planning trains and travel is Hyperdia (http://www.hyperdia.com/en/) which gives additional customization options. I believe they have an app you can download as well.

The one thing I found invaluable was carrying a pocket Wifi device that gave fast internet virtually everywhere in Tokyo, it beats constantly searching for hotspots or paying for a separate plan. Agree with Matt about food, you can't go wrong. One recommendation: the Tsukiji fish market is where I had the freshest, most delicious sushi of my life, and is crammed with charming restaurants and shops worth exploring. Though people swear by going as early as possible in the morning, I went during normal lunch hours and you'll get nearly identical superb quality. My mouth waters just reminiscing about that food...
We're leaving for Tokyo next Wednesday on ANA in F Class (so excited!). I can second Hyperdia as a JR resource -- it's a little odd to get used to using it, but ultimately an excellent resource.

@LordByran :
I'm curious where you got your pocket Wifi device? Is that something you bought locally or before you left the U.S.?

steventravel

Level 2 Member
Matt, I have been curious: how good is your Japanese? I imagine the experience could be very different if you know more of the local language.
We're leaving for Tokyo next Wednesday on ANA in F Class (so excited!). I can second Hyperdia as a JR resource -- it's a little odd to get used to using it, but ultimately an excellent resource.

@LordByran :
I'm curious where you got your pocket Wifi device? Is that something you bought locally or before you left the U.S.?
Are you flying out of ORD?

steventravel

Level 2 Member

@LordByran :
I don't know what type LordBryan used, but this is a fantastic idea, that I overlooked. Here is an article about it.

http://thisbeautifuldayblog.com/travel-review-pocket-wifi-rental/#

LordByran

Level 2 Member
@Road Humps: We rented from a website a few days prior to our departure (www.rentalwifi.com). Their prices are really competitive, I think it came to about $5-6 per day and was perfect for splitting between two people. Best thing was that the company shipped the device to the hotel we were staying out on the first night for free, but I also know you can pick it up from the airport if you let them know in advance.

The connection was reliable everywhere, even on the subway. The device itself gives 75 mbps and has enough charge to last a full day of use, but to be safe I also brought along a portable charger (saved us a few times on our trip!) The owners communicate in English as well, overall it was a very positive experience.

EDIT: Also, there was another company, Global Advanced Communications, that had similar pricing for pocket Wifi, but I think they're better known and were sold out when we requested.

Road Humps

Level 2 Member
@steventravel we sure are! Why are you flying on Wednesday as well?

@LordByran thank you SO much for triggering the thought process in my head. I sort of had planned to get SIM cards on arrival, but this is a much better solution. I have no interest in making phone calls, just want the internet while there.

I requested a device from Global Advanced Communications - supposed to hear back by tomorrow. The price is extremely reasonable.

steventravel

Level 2 Member
I fly out Wed morning. And my wife flys out Thursday morning.

We had to fly on the fancy plane and couldn't get tickets together.

I also ordered a card from the same company.

Road Humps

Level 2 Member
I fly out Wed morning. And my wife flys out Thursday morning.

We had to fly on the fancy plane and couldn't get tickets together.

I also ordered a card from the same company.
I'm just not sure I'll be able to stand waiting another week to go - we had planned this trip for last April but had to postpone because I changed jobs and figured they wouldn't be too happy if I went on vacation the second week. So this has been planned for a year!

I do understand the need for a fancy plane though! It's hard to beat a glass of Krug at the gate.

Road Humps

Level 2 Member
If you can get to Hakone and Kyoto, do it. Both are worth the trip. Kyoto is one of my favorite cities.
Kyoto is the last stop on the trip. We're seeing Tokyo, Nikko (for autumn leaves), Kanazawa, and then Kyoto. We've been to China three times (plus Hong Kong) but have never been to Japan!

smittytabb

Staff member
Kyoto is the last stop on the trip. We're seeing Tokyo, Nikko (for autumn leaves), Kanazawa, and then Kyoto. We've been to China three times (plus Hong Kong) but have never been to Japan!
Hope you have a wonderful time! Both Nikko and Kyoto have wonderful UNESCO World Heritage sites worth visiting.

BrianJapan

Level 2 Member
You can't go wrong in Japan...Tokyo is a big international city with that unique, quirky Japanese twist...Kyoto is beautiful with its temples, shrines, an amazing little bamboo forest...Osaka is a busy, frenetic, down and dirty (in the good way) merchant city with the best "soul food" in Japan and lively, interesting people (very different people and vibe in Osaka)...best castle (in a way) in Japan is in Himeji (west of Osaka)...and Hiroshima is a can't miss historical point of interest imho (for the obvious and somber reason) - less about the temples/shrines and more for those who like the heavy lifting of soul searching history of importance...the paradox of Hiroshima now also being a "regular" functioning, fun and zany Japanese city is also interesting

BrianJapan

Level 2 Member
A few more specific recos -

Kyoto - Ryoanji (shrine) with its rock garden, walk the "philosopher's path" to or from the "silver temple" (which is not actually silver), a visit to the "golden temple" which is actually golden (very garish and yet beautiful), Kiyomizu (temple) which is awesome in the fall being on a mountainside surrounded by autumn foliage and a nice view down on the city...

Osaka - put on your walking shoes and forget the history/culture/temple/shrines/peace/serenity and ready yourself for frenetic/neon/urban Asia a la Japan (Osaka style)...get off the subway at Hommachi or Shinsaibashi and walk down the shopping arcade towards Namba (Dotonbori)...take it all in and turn right to see "America Village" or head left to see more of the shopping arcade an check out "doguyasuji" (a wholesale area for restaurants that also has some neat souvenirs like "real" plastic sushi key chains)...keep going and head for "kuromon market" for a look at a less touristy (i.e. more "real") local market street right in the city...finish off this walking tour by hopping in a taxi and checking out a way off the beaten path but very awesome "okonomiyaki" restaurant called "Satomi" in the Ikuno ward of Osaka (near the Nakagawa 2 chome bus stop)...you can actually eat at most anywhere in Osaka and be OK...try the takoyaki in Osaka (for the adventurous as it is octopus)...okonomiyaki is an Osaka specialty not very know in the outside world (some call it a "soul food"...I am not sure on that but it is really good cheap eats:)...I've given this walking/dining tour of Osaka to dozens of friends on their visits to Japan...always seems to go over well (perhaps they are just being polite - who knows:)

Tokyo - touristy but an interesting building to dine in is a place called "Gonpachi"...lunch is much cheaper...food is so-so but atmosphere is pretty neat...

Mufmuf

Level 2 Member
Asakusa is a fun place to visit during your stay in Tokyo. You can get inf here (there is a language option box on the upper right corner), an official Asakusa info site. There is a new Sky Tree and the old Sensouji, very interesting combination. There are many small shops inside the temple where you can get your souvenir shopping done.

Another place which is popular among young people (you can enjoy even if you are not young) is Harajuku. Info on Harajuku can be found here. In addition to shops and restaurants, you might want to visit Meiji Shrine and the Antique market at Togo Shrine (1st and 4th Sunday , 5th Sunday except for Dec).

Last edited:

steventravel

Level 2 Member
Some Apps that may be helpful for Tokyo:

Google Translate - Download offline Japanese.
Maps with ME - Offline Maps
Or if you have the Wifi Card - Google Maps
Japantrains or Hyperdia
What's App for texting - many people use it over there.
Tripadvisor - Tokyo City Guide can be downloaded for Offline Use.
100tokyo
http://jorudan.co.jp/english/ - For Train Mapping
Tokyo Weather Radar This app shows real-time rainfall data from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Bureau of Sewage. IF you want to know where it's raining and how likely it is to rain before going outside - this is a great app! Makes Tokyo outdoor activities more enjoyable.
Speak Japanese Free This app will teach you quickly how to speak functional Japanese for traveling or business.

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
A couple food places I recommend in Tokyo:
  • Ramen at Rokurinsha, at Ramen Street in Tokyo Station
  • Tonkatsu at Butagumi
And if you're at all a Disney fan, I highly recommend a day at DisneySea -- I think it's the best Disney park in the world.

(Talked my wife into going in January, with the JL SFO-HND seats that opened up a few months back :))

steventravel

Level 2 Member
For someone that is also a Disney fan but only has time for one Day at Disney Sea, any highlights or favorite places/rides?

Thanks for the food recommendations.

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
Their Tower of Terror is pretty neat, because it has a completely different back story -- no collective "Twilight Zone" memory in Japan.

Journey to the Center of the Earth is a favorite ride -- it's vaguely like Test Track, where you explore deep into the bowels of the earth. Sindbad is a wonderful float-along ride like It's a Small World, but with a catchy tune there's no shame in enjoying. Fortress Explorations is cool area to play in.

And seek out the popcorn flavors! :)

A great place to read up on the rides (and get a planning guide) is http://www.disneytouristblog.com/tokyo-disneysea-best-rides-guide/.

nsmn4945

Level 2 Member
And seek out the popcorn flavors! :)
+1 on the popcorn. Especially the strawberry flavored one. There are lines just for the popcorn...and it's worth it.

And just relax and take your time and wander around DisneySea. It is unlike any other disney park out there....it's simply mind-boggling how much work went into all the details. And it's always fun to people-watch......the japanese LOVE Duffy the Bear.

Road Humps

Level 2 Member
@Road Humps: We rented from a website a few days prior to our departure (www.rentalwifi.com). Their prices are really competitive, I think it came to about $5-6 per day and was perfect for splitting between two people. Best thing was that the company shipped the device to the hotel we were staying out on the first night for free, but I also know you can pick it up from the airport if you let them know in advance.

The connection was reliable everywhere, even on the subway. The device itself gives 75 mbps and has enough charge to last a full day of use, but to be safe I also brought along a portable charger (saved us a few times on our trip!) The owners communicate in English as well, overall it was a very positive experience.

EDIT: Also, there was another company, Global Advanced Communications, that had similar pricing for pocket Wifi, but I think they're better known and were sold out when we requested.
Back from Japan and this tip turned out to be the best! Got ours from Global Advanced Communications and package was waiting for us upon checkin at hotel. It worked like a charm every day for a good 8-10 hours. Dropped it in the mail at Narita on the way out of the country. Absolutely fantastic idea, device, service, price, and company!

Road Humps

Level 2 Member
Hope you have a wonderful time! Both Nikko and Kyoto have wonderful UNESCO World Heritage sites worth visiting.
@smittytabb Nikko was gorgeous! The ride up the mountain to the falls was not something I'd repeat (extraordinarily poor weather up there), but UNESCO sites were stunning.

Nara near Kyoto was wonderful and awe-inspiring. If you're going to Kyoto, don't skip it! And don't let the deer see you buying the biscuits!

Road Humps

Level 2 Member
Here's a trip report from the Mrs http://saverocity.com/trips/tokyo-as-a-tourist-this-time/

We lived there for about 3 years, and have since visited many times for work.

Things to see:

Yoyogi
Harajuku
Ueno
Hon Kawagoe
Kamakura

Places to eat - everywhere...

Best tip:

Get a suica/passmo card and use Jorudan to plan your travel.
@Matt we got cheated on our visit to Harajuku! Was there on Halloween weekend and all the Harajuku Girls and cosplay guys were dressed up for Halloween -- hah! Who woulda thought?

Your're right about places to eat, but here are a couple of standouts:

Tenmatsu for tempura - literally 10 feet from the top of the stairs at the Mitsukoshi-mae Metro station.

Birdland for yakitori. Right across the hallway from Jiro sushi in the Ginza Metro station. It's counterintuitive to find -- head down into the station from the street and you'll find it.

Pasmo card is a MUST. Also recommend a mobile hotspot from Global Advanced Communications -- LTE-speed internet for about $6/day, so worth it.

Overall loved Tokyo and Japan. Surprised at the small town feeling of Tokyo, was expecting crushing hordes of people like you find in Beijing or Shanghai and got very civilized and calm streets away from the shopping centers like Harajuku or Shibuya. Even Shinjuku didn't seem crowded.

smittytabb

Staff member
@smittytabb Nikko was gorgeous! The ride up the mountain to the falls was not something I'd repeat (extraordinarily poor weather up there), but UNESCO sites were stunning.

Nara near Kyoto was wonderful and awe-inspiring. If you're going to Kyoto, don't skip it! And don't let the deer see you buying the biscuits!
Glad you had a great trip. Kyoto is one of my favorite places. Did not have time for Nara, but hopefully next time! I took the train to Nikko and generally enjoy traveling by train in Japan.

Road Humps

Level 2 Member
Glad you had a gear trip. Kyoto is one of my favorite places. Did not have time for Nara, but hopefully next time! I took the train to Nikko and generally enjoy traveling by train in Japan.
In my series of posts above I failed to mention our Japan Rail pass. An amazing bargain at $350/pp for a 7-day pass in Green Class. If you're on the fence about Ordinary or Green, spend the extra $100 for a Green Pass. You'll be very glad you did.

Also, surprisingly many of our trains were pretty full, even in Green Class. Recommend you go to a JR office (one at Tokyo Station) and book reserved seats for all your legs in advance. We're very glad we did that.

Duffman033

Level 2 Member
If you go to Kyoto, check out 9 Hours. It is a capsule hotel but very modern and new. Also, there is a very special kind of sushi that is only made in Kyoto that is worth trying. It is very expensive though. I tried it and wasn't too impressed but I know a lot of people that say it is the best in the world.

derek

Level 2 Member
If you go to Kyoto, check out 9 Hours. It is a capsule hotel but very modern and new. Also, there is a very special kind of sushi that is only made in Kyoto that is worth trying. It is very expensive though. I tried it and wasn't too impressed but I know a lot of people that say it is the best in the world.
oooo I've been meaning to try capsule hotels! I've had positive experiences with hostels but love the idea of a capsule for privacy!