Tokyo

Jawa

Level 2 Member
For those too cheap to buy pocket wifi and staying in the main city's, japan offers free wifi for tourists for two weeks
http://wi2.co.jp/tjw/english.html (android or ios app)
In the beginning you only get access to about 60,000 hotspots but if you visit one of the listed stores (http://wi2.co.jp/tjw/premiumcode.html) to get a "premium code" you get access to 200,000 hotspots. Those flying to japan via JAL can get a premium code from JAL (http://www.ar.jal.com/world/en/freewifi/). HOWEVER, this only applies if you book through JAL directly. If you book through AA you don't get a premium code.

ddavidch

Level 42 Member
While on the subject of Japan and Tokyo... any advice about the weather in late June and early July?
From what I've found, its the end of the rainy season, but it means that its getting very hot and humid then.
We are thinking of that time frame or late August/early October instead.
Any advice/insight would be appreciated.
Note that I live in the Southeast US (CLT) in hot/humid summers so I'm not going to be shocked, but sure don't enjoy it.

BrianJapan

Level 2 Member
While on the subject of Japan and Tokyo... any advice about the weather in late June and early July?
From what I've found, its the end of the rainy season, but it means that its getting very hot and humid then.
We are thinking of that time frame or late August/early October instead.
Any advice/insight would be appreciated.
Note that I live in the Southeast US (CLT) in hot/humid summers so I'm not going to be shocked, but sure don't enjoy it.
Late August in Japan will still be steamy humid...stays humid well into September most years...early October "should" be better if the humidity is your main concern...

MaryE

Level 2 Member
July and August in Japan should be avoided. Not even Houston's humidity at its worst can best Japan in those months. I agree with BrianJapan, best to see Japan in late September/early October, but book soon. Prices will skyrocket in Japan during last week of September when the South Koreans visit during their week long holiday: Chuseok. It's similar to our Thanksgiving time.

ddavidch

Level 42 Member
Thanks for the info, I really wanted to get some trusted perspective...
Another complication is that it seems the trails on Mt. Fuji close in mid September depending upon the weather, so trying to balance that opportunity as well.
Thanks again!

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Any recommendations for things to do for first timers to Tokyo including a teenager? Trying to plan an early to mid September trip for 5-6 days with my 19 year-old son. Flight recommendations out of SFO will be appreciated as well.

Admittedly I know nothing about Japan/Tokyo and the sites to not miss. This is #1 on his travel list as he'd like to eventually study abroad there. I will definitely get his input as well as he will drive the agenda each day and I will be the chaperone.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Any recommendations for things to do for first timers to Tokyo including a teenager? Trying to plan an early to mid September trip for 5-6 days with my 19 year-old son. Flight recommendations out of SFO will be appreciated as well.

Admittedly I know nothing about Japan/Tokyo and the sites to not miss. This is #1 on his travel list as he'd like to eventually study abroad there. I will definitely get his input as well as he will drive the agenda each day and I will be the chaperone.
Page 1 of this thread might have some options for you.

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member

I'm going to Tokyo next month so this thread has been helpful :)

Assuming you have a bunch of AA miles like me, you can go JAL SFO - HND which has lie flat buisness and first :)

That USD to YEN exchange rate is awesome right now!

Last edited:

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
I just got back from Tokyo (thank you, JAL SFO-HND flights, though your SFO lounge is horrible! :)) and had a fantastic time. Agreed the exchange rate is making it much more affordable right now which is great.

A couple of food recommendations are Rokurinsha in Tokyo Station, for amazing and cheap ramen. And Butagumi near Roppongi for not-as-cheap (but equally amazing) tonkatsu.

And of course there's their awesome Disney park. :)

go heerow

I understand the desire to check out Kyoto/Osaka, especially if its your first time in Japan, but you should check out places most people don't go. Head north from Tokyo to places like Sendai, Fukushima, Aomori, and Hakodate. All beautiful places where you don't need apps like Yelp and TripAdvisor to tell you what people think is good/bad. Create your own adventures.

steventravel

Level 2 Member
I used Global Advanced Communications they worked great.

Also check out this website to save money there.

tokyocheapo DOT com

Road Humps

Level 2 Member
And very reasonable I have been looking at the same type of service for Europe and it is pretty spendy.
Europe was much more difficult. We went to Paris/Brussels in May and rented a mifi from HipPocket Wifi. Started out well, delivered to hotel, and speed was just fine. But returned device to them and they claimed they never received it. I have two witnesses that I placed the device into the envelope and handed it over to the business center at the Sheraton Frankfurt who has been able to produce a waybill with confirmed delivery.

Received a very accusatory email from Hip Pocket several days later, which turned into a darkly worded exchange over the following two weeks where they claimed they investigated shipment and it wasn't possible that I mailed the device back to them. So I stopped responding as they clearly were trying to extort money out of me.

This has has driven me to purshase my own mifi device for an upcoming around the world trip (ORD-YYZ-LHR-AUH-BKK-REP-HAN-HKG-LAX-ORD) and I'll just figure out the SIM card issue at each stop.