Tips that helped you

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Italdesig started a thread about things that didn't go so well in 2015. It made me think of a some things I read this year that have helped me out.

One poster commented about using color stickies or labels on CCs to write what the card should be used for. It was for their spouse. I'm doing that for both of us! I'm also using them on GCs that don't auto drain that I need to liquidate slowly (AAA) with the amount on the card.

Another poster shared how they consolidated their trips at Walmart with MOs, BP, and loading to save time. They gave specific amounts. Definitely a timesaver.

There was also the tip about Barclay shutting people down and to book flight, use points, and then cancel the flight if needed. I don't expect to rack up a lot of points without using them fairly soon, but I would not want to lose even the sign-up bonus. Definitely won't be banking points.

I don't remember who posted what, but I appreciate those that shared!

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
One of those tips was mine (labels, dots on CCs) so it's fun to see it mentioned. Thank you.
I love the dots, but you forgot to mention to place them away from the magnetic strip. Guess some things I have to learn on my own, :) I was going to color code them: green for gas, orange for groceries, etc., but decided that might be a little OCD and most cards have multiple categories.

sbft77

Level 2 Member
I love the dots, but you forgot to mention to place them away from the magnetic strip. Guess some things I have to learn on my own ...
What do you mean by this? I wouldn't think that a label would affect the magnetic strip.

For keeping track of gift card amounts, I sometimes use notes on my phone, e.g., a Google Docs document that I can edit on a computer or the phone.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
What do you mean by this? I wouldn't think that a label would affect the magnetic strip.

For keeping track of gift card amounts, I sometimes use notes on my phone, e.g., a Google Docs document that I can edit on a computer or the phone.
I was joking BUT if it's by the magnetic strip, sometimes it will catch/curl up when you go to slide it through. :)

The latter is also a good idea. You could use the last 4 digits and then the amount. Most of the time I just drain the $500 off the GC. However, I've been getting free Metabanks at AAA and I had read about them shutting people down, thus I've been more creative and slower in liquidating. Not really worth it, but hard to turn down a card without a fee.