Level 2 Member
Ink: @Staples $300 VGC. Math: $8.95/(300*5) = 0.597 cpm
$300 VCG requires more work/time for liquidation compared to $500 VGC

(assume you have a Simon Mall nearby)
FU: @Simon Mall $500 VGC. Math: $3.95/(500*1.5) = 0.527 cpm
$500 VGC will be rather easy for MO/reload compared to $300 VGC

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
On the other hand, some of us own businesses. We get 5x points for cable, cell, office supplies. We get 2x points for gas and hotels. I do no manufactured spend on our Ink card, other than the occasional Starbucks card at Staples. I'm very happy to let the points come rolling in from legitimate business expenditures. If it's a 1x category, I try to get my husband to use a Starwood AMEX. That opens up alternative programs for where we can move points. Everyone has to do their own analysis.

Jawa

Level 2 Member
Not saying you are wrong, but I think theres a couple of other factors to consider in the scenarios you are presenting

A lot of simon malls restrict purchases of VGC to $2500 a day for chipped credit cards whereas staples $300 VGC can be ordered in PJs. 300 VCG is no more difficult to unload than a $500 VGC. It takes more time if you purchase the same total $$ amount AND only do 4x split tender, but you are also earning points faster. If you unload 4x 300 cards via MO to walmart in the same way you unload 4x 500 cards, thats vs 1200*5 = 6000 UR points vs 2000*1.5 = 3000 UR points from 4x 500 cards purchased with FU for one trip.

On a $50K MS basis assuming $2.5K a day at simon mall and 4 cards per MO per trip to walmart:

With FU
- 20 trips to simon mall (50000/2500)
- 25 trips to walmart (50000/500/4)
- 75K UR points

With Ink+
- 42 trips to walmart (50000/300/4)
- 250K UR points

Depending on MS options and redemption timeline, there could be situations where the ink+ route is favored.

kakshi425

Level 2 Member
That was just my own opinion based on the MS geographical situation of where I live. Everyone has different situation to face. I'd say it is still YMMV and I still use Ink+ for other purchases.

Here is my MS geographical background info:
-All Kate(s) within 50 miles radius have been replaced by ATM.
-The Walmart(s) near me are impossible to purchase MO with VGC without name. I have to load it into COIN in order to do it. Thus, multiple $300s will be rather suspicious to cashier compare to $500s ONLY if you want to do $900 for 3x$300.
-No Kroger and most of the supermarkets only accept cash for MO.
-The Simon Malls near me still allow 10k/day for chip cards (requires form)

By taking the above situation into consideration, this will be the case for $50K MS basis assuming $2.5K a day at simon mall and 4 cards per MO per trip to walmart:

With FU
- 5 trips to simon mall (50000/10000)
- total of 100 cards to deal with
- 25 trips to walmart (50000/500/4)
- 75K UR points
- $395 VGC fee

With Ink+
- waiting for the mail to be shipped to you from Staples (potential risk of losing the package! And since the purchase from Staples online is level 3, it also has other potential risks with Chase)
- total of 167 cards to deal with
- 42 trips to walmart (50000/300/4)
- 250K UR points
- $1494.65 VGC fee

I mean what is good for me might not be good for you and vice versa.

Last edited:

Jawa

Level 2 Member
Your initial post came across as a strong recommendation for others. "I think FU is better than ink+ because of these factor." I didn't disagree with your assertion (not trying to argue ink+ is better for you), and I also highlighted the YMMV aspect of this topic, which you really didn't in your initial post. To be frank I didn't see any value in your assertion that "one card is better than the other for me" if that was the whole purpose of your post. On the other hand, you listing the factors that led to your ultimate decision is helpful for others going through the same process. So I added some other factors(earn rate/VGC acquisition time) for consideration built upon the scenarios you initially presented. That's where I was trying to go with my post. I think your second post adds a lot more insight into your thought process, which can be valuable for some others.

kakshi425

Level 2 Member
Please noted I did not make any direct recommendations for other at all; I was just expressing the mathematical comparison based on "cost of vgc" per "total points you will earn" ONLY. Furthermore, I also used the word "I think" in the title, which added an opinionated indication. Overall, I was just sharing simple math facts for both cards and I am not interested to debate which one is better; If people want to add other external factors, it is totally fine. You decide what you want to do with your time/card.

Craig

Level 2 Member
Please noted I did not make any direct recommendations for other at all; I was just expressing the mathematical comparison based on "cost of vgc" per "total points you will earn" ONLY. Furthermore, I also used the word "I think" in the title, which added an opinionated indication. Overall, I was just sharing simple math facts for both cards and I am not interested to debate which one is better; If people want to add other external factors, it is totally fine. You decide what you want to do with your time/card.
I didn't see pants mentioned in your equation. I like to MS without pants on. Simon Mall=pants, then more pants to liquidate = pants 2x. $300 staples = pants 1x.

PillanSmye

Level 2 Member
LOL. How can this be debated? People should have both. Like a screwdriver and a hammer. Use the right tool for the job.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
It really is more important to highlight the factors that matter for you and WHY, than just the factors. Because, in the end, people will do what they prefer, based on their own computations.

If the jammy factor matters more, and INK isn't available, the a 2X + decent portal cash = convenient and cheap. If you have an actual business, you can set up an account with an online GC seller, buy bigger denominations, and save on swipes as well as trips in pants, along with paying even less than you do with portal cash. (That used to be untrue; you used to be able to MAKE money with the portal cash. Alas, no longer.)

What works for YOU is what matters to you in the end.

MileHighYuppie

Level 2 Member
Might be slightly off topic: If you product change from freedom to freedom unlimited, do charges made on current freedom earn 1.5x until you actually get the new freedom unlimited card in hand?

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I definitely think FU is better than the Ink. I was denied the Ink when I first started but recently approved for FU. Thus FU is infinitely more valuable although I haven't used it beyond min. spend. :)

JakeFromStateFarm

Points Junkie
FU should not even be compared to Ink since they serve much different purposes. Keep in mind that even if you think the FU is better for your own particular MS needs, you should still have an ink or CSP to redeem UR at anything more than 1:1 cash payouts.