Things to do in Boston

sriki

Level 2 Member
I will be in Boston for the next 36 hours. Any suggestions on things to do around?

1. Places to see
2. Ice creams/sweet things
3. Good bottled beer I can take home
4. MS

Here or PM would work. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

MotownMan

Level 2 Member
1. Lots to see. What are you most interested in? There is American history, museums, and beautiful outdoorsy stuff nearby. My brother lives in Cambridge and I visit him pretty often. During a 36 hr trip I did once, we actually just rented a car and drove up the coast to Maine. Ate some great local lobster, checked out some lighthouses, and saw some great beaches. If you are more into the city/historical stuff, do the freedom trail and just walk the downtown. Boston is super small and Uber has great availability. Do Boston common, ride the swan boat, check out the waterfront, etc. Boston is one of the best US cities to just spend a day exploring. Nothing is too omnipotent that you *can't* miss, its small, and the atmosphere is just as good as anything else. If you are a big history buff, get a car and see Walden pond and Lexington/Concord, etc.

2. Not too big into sweets. Maybe Boston Cream Pie from the Omni House? It was first done there.

3. Harpoon Brewery. Tours too.

4. No ideas here.

Have fun!

lancemahn

Level 2 Member
In case this is found by someone else for future reference we spent several days in Boston two months ago. Also went north to Salem, Rockport, etc. In Boston proper I'd definitely do the Freedom Walk assuming you're in decent shape for 3-4 miles covering lots of history, oldest cemetery in US, Paul Revere's ride, etc. I'd also get on one of the bus tours to get a lay of the land and insights to the past and present attractions. Highly recommend Legal Seafood, better view by the Wharf. Check out trip advisor for rankings on best things from fellow travelers perspective.

lancemahn

Level 2 Member
OH yeah, also get the 'pass' for using the subway, it's good for several days and makes getting around very cheap. We went out to Harvard for a walkabout, stopped at the JFK Library for a few hours. Really great place to visit IMHO.

inflightmeal

Level 2 Member
Italian food in the North End. Even for just a canoli.

Quincy Market for shopping is pretty weak, but the food court at Faneuil Hall is awesome.

The penguins at the Boston Aquarium are my BFFs.

Riding the T (aka subway) is super easy too.