The Hamster wheel of Manufactured Spend

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

I’ve said on many occasions that I’m not a fan of Manufactured Spend (MS). It is a means to an end. Certainly, there is some fun in cracking a system or finding a new pathway, but that is not an exclusively MS related activity. I see MS as a job, sure it can pay relatively well, but it is still a job. You are beholden to give up valuable time in order to ‘earn more money/points/miles’.

I think its time to acknowledge the problem, and find solutions.

First – can we all agree that manufactured spending is a job? I define this simply as “You exchange your time for reward”. Sound fair?

Next, can we all agree that working sucks? In a real job we are looking for an exit strategy. Sure, you can love your job, but even in the best job in the world, you are likely saving for retirement, right? There’s a path, a journey. You can enjoy the moment, but the moment is a stage on the path to retirement, or early retirement if you so wish.

Transliterating the work cycle to the MS cycle

Many people can grasp the notion of the work cycle. You save enough money to be able to cover your expenses without the need to work anymore. Not an easy task, but generally speaking most people can figure out that they need some money in a 401(k) or an IRA or a really good pension. There are a ton of formulas (that may or may not work) about the number you need, but ultimately you see the concept:

Work is a necessity >Save enough>Work is elective.

In MS there doesn’t seem to be this evolution for many people. Instead it is a case of ‘earn as much as you can, burn through it, earn more’. Its a hamster wheel. You are never really breaking free from the need to ‘earn’ in this way.

However, I do see an evolution:

1. Pay for travel with cash
  2. Earn signup bonuses
  3. Earn points through MS
  4. Earn cash back through MS + Points from signup bonuses
  5. Earn signup bonuses
  6. Buy points for cash with cash back
  7. Pay for travel with cash
It seems crazy to suggest, but I think you’d agree that someone like Bill Gates doesn’t need to MS his way to 150K Skypesos through buying money orders at Wallys right? So at some point… unless you are stuck at some point, evolution needs to occur.

I’m personally at stage 4.5 on this chart (I may still opportunistically pick up a few things for cash back). I’d say that is the tipping point, you start regressing here, and stage 5 is the same as stage 2 on the way up. The big question is.. what changes at stage 5?

In one phase of evolution (stage 2) you would go from signup bonuses to spending (a lot of) time and a little money to ‘buy’ MSing points. In a later stage (stage 6) you’d spend little time, and a (lot of money). The ‘lot of’s here are used in comparison with one another of course.

Can you take a leap of faith?

If you are running around between grocery stores and your local Wallys like a demented hamster chuckling about earning $200 per hour, you’ll never be able to break free. At some point something has to give from your schedule, and you have to stop MSing to evolve. The key of course is to replace it with something more valuable, just quitting and returning to old habits of playing WoW and buying scratch offs isn’t going to get you there, so what can?

I think the answer is to look at the interplay between income and expenses: Can you reduce your debts and expenses via MS to the point where you don’t need to any more, then let it go? Can you then take that time and invest it into personal development, such as a higher degree, professional certification or perhaps a start up business?

At some point, what ever path you elect, you need to get off the wheel in order to evolve.

The post The Hamster wheel of Manufactured Spend appeared first on Travel.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Andrew

Level 2 Member
I agree with the resounding theme in this post.

While I get what you are trying to say with the demented hamster running between Wally's and grocery stores chuckling while earning $200 an hour, I think you are off the mark a bit, and its not only because that is the hourly rate I said I made in the "MS as a Hobby" thread :) What if the hamster has build MS buying and liquidating into their daily life. For instance, on their commute to work, whether it be by car or walking. Yes, we are giving up time for a reward, but I also give up time while I sleep, while I workout at the gym, etc. Is sleep work? Is training at the gym work? Training BJJ or MMA? In all situations I'm giving up time for a reward.

You then go on to that "can you then take that time and invest it into personal development, such as a higher degree, professional certification or perhaps start a business? Why do you assume that the hamster earning $200 an with his MS activities isn't also building a business at the same time, or investing in personal development? Are these two things, MS and "bettering yourself" mutually exclusive? While I am building my business or earning a certification, can't I also do an hour of MS thats built into my day that is a pretty mindless activity? If I bring in a few $K of tax free rebates a month with MS, am I certain that had I spent that 10-15 hours in a month otherwise, that I would see as good a return both in the short and long-term?

If this post is for the masses, then yeah I get it. Most people will be lost in trying to earn more from MS than simply diverting that time and brain power to something that can yield them a higher return over time. But damn, thats a pretty low bar to set for your readership. Or maybe not.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Is sleep work? Is training at the gym work? Training BJJ or MMA? In all situations I'm giving up time for a reward.
I enjoy booze too much.. so I started looking at sleep. If I behave myself sleep can be 4hrs, if I go bonkers then I need 8, and another 4 or 5 of wakefulness that is impaired... so sleep can be a pure essence (4hrs) and abusive when your body demands too much of it.

For BJJ, I see that as a forward thinking model. I actually view my training as an investment in future teaching, either formally as an instructor (in a weird reality where I move to somewhere remote but have taught my body skills that are location independent) or informally in that I can teach my son about being comfortable in a fight. It isn't just about the moment.

MS is all about the moment. It is the mundane steps and rote repetition that is exchanged for money. I am fine with using it as a mezzanine level towards a greater goal, but I really think that many people get caught up in the moment and forget the bigger picture.

PS - not sure if my weird memory may have locked in the $200, but I wasn't writing this about you, although the post was inspired by the conversations there.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
I enjoy booze too much.. so I started looking at sleep. If I behave myself sleep can be 4hrs, if I go bonkers then I need 8, and another 4 or 5 of wakefulness that is impaired... so sleep can be a pure essence (4hrs) and abusive when your body demands too much of it.

For BJJ, I see that as a forward thinking model. I actually view my training as an investment in future teaching, either formally as an instructor (in a weird reality where I move to somewhere remote but have taught my body skills that are location independent) or informally in that I can teach my son about being comfortable in a fight. It isn't just about the moment.

MS is all about the moment. It is the mundane steps and rote repetition that is exchanged for money. I am fine with using it as a mezzanine level towards a greater goal, but I really think that many people get caught up in the moment and forget the bigger picture.

PS - not sure if my weird memory may have locked in the $200, but I wasn't writing this about you, although the post was inspired by the conversations there.
I agree about the differences between sleep and training (we could also throw in the long-term health benefits of activity in here as well for forward thinking model) compared to MS. The thing I dislike about MS is the monotony of the whole thing. Well except for situations in which I need use some social engineering skills to get my way, thats actually quite fun.

It is all very "about the moment", but can be a tool if used properly for a period time, within the context of a progressive plan to improve your life.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I agree about the differences between sleep and training (we could also throw in the long-term health benefits of activity in here as well for forward thinking model) compared to MS. The thing I dislike about MS is the monotony of the whole thing. Well except for situations in which I need use some social engineering skills to get my way, thats actually quite fun.

It is all very "about the moment", but can be a tool if used properly for a period time, within the context of a progressive plan to improve your life.
I think the big issue I have is that the moment is being devalued... time is precious.

It's all about scalability. That's where the big profits lie. If you can gather 5 of your friends' bluebird card and load them in a single trip to WM, you understand scalability. While I don't condone doing it just for yourself, the big profits lie in scaling it up. Using this principle, I've been able to double BB cashback and triple another avenue.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
It's all about scalability. That's where the big profits lie. If you can gather 5 of your friends' bluebird card and load them in a single trip to WM, you understand scalability. While I don't condone doing it just for yourself, the big profits lie in scaling it up. Using this principle, I've been able to double BB cashback and triple another avenue.
Double is better than single, and triple is better still. But big picture.. the answer isn't that Bill Gates should get 4 BB cards and have at it..

Double is better than single, and triple is better still. But big picture.. the answer isn't that Bill Gates should get 4 BB cards and have at it..
Point is how do you scale to 2x, 3x, 4x and if possible 100x? Once you are in that league, you are like Bill Gates , just in a smaller league.

Marshallonmoney

Level 2 Member
For me, I enjoy the interaction with people I have come to know thru this "hobby". The various store clerks I see most days have gone from "clerks", to acquaintances to friends, in some instances. I don't view it as "work". I am just out enjoying the day and chatting with friends. One of the keys to longevity is the extent of your social network. The more positive daily interaction with people you have, the longer your life will be. So, I MS to live a longer, healthier, better life. No other hobby I know where you can do this AND make money while doing it!