The Cheapskate Challenge - with a cash prize!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe, but not necessarily. Kenmore brand appliances are made by other companies. If you can find out who makes the range under the Kenmore brand, and find a comparable it could be argued as the same product.

From wikipedia: Kenmore (brand) Kenmore Appliances is a brand of household appliances sold by Sears since 1927. The products are currently produced by manufacturers such as Whirlpool Corp, GE, Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Bosch, Electrolux, and Mabe Mexico.
Yep, that is what @MickiSue was looking into, didn't make sense immediately, but once I realized it was Whirlpool I saw where she was coming from.

smittytabb

Staff member
Yep, for me I will start over - but for the Challenge - should we let it run with the original model (or is that almost done anyway) or evolve it into best product that can do the same thing, but is a different brand and as such we can drop the price further on?
Is it Friday already?

Ja350z

Level 2 Member
should we let it run with the original model (or is that almost done anyway) or evolve it into best product that can do the same thing, but is a different brand and as such we can drop the price further on?
Thoughts on making an area for this with subthreads on hacking real spend for individual products/expenses? Aside from all the deals that will be popping up for the holidays, could be a way to build out the real spend idea.

smittytabb

Staff member
I almost in jest wrote a few minutes ago to suggest that the next ad I would see on the site would be a Kenmore one. Not only is it a Kenmore ad, it is for the exact range that @Matt had us pricing. So, you need to know that Kenmore is "tested for living" and that you have free shipping with a $399 purchase. But we knew that..

Ad choices..click here to see why you are seeing this. Um, I think I already know why!

smittytabb

Staff member
Thoughts on making an area for this with subthreads on hacking real spend for individual products/expenses? Aside from all the deals that will be popping up for the holidays, could be a way to build out the real spend idea.
Oh man. I might not get anything done ever again! But seriously, it is an interesting idea.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Is it Friday already?
I wish.
I like the idea, but also don't want to build areas without content, so if we get a couple more threads here on the topic, I'll build a home for them.

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
I don't much buy permanent things at Sears, but do know that even if all you buy is a candy bar your receipt is like five feet long with coupons. Maybe worth investigating FWIW.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

It raises a great point tying into Rambo's suggestion. Price match is an important factor and by picking Kenmore I am hampering myself. I had thought that I had seen it a HD or somewhere else, but must have mixed that up.
Correct. There are MANY factors involved in my idea not to buy from Sears. Not the least of which is that they will be going out of business shortly. Their warranties are an absolute joke. Their extended warranties (of which you don't really need for an oven, but still) are horrendously overpriced. Their customer service is a complete crock of shit. I could go on.

The logical conclusion for Kenmore is to get spun off into a separate brand. God only knows what will happen at this point though.

I can access Consumer Reports if you'd like to see the ratings for ovens, or other appliances. Personally, I bought The Great Satan a new Samsung and its been fantastic. I got an amazing deal via a package price-price match at Best Buy for the oven/micro/fridge. Took weeks of work and TONS of haggling at different BB's but it was worth it.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Correct. There are MANY factors involved in my idea not to buy from Sears. Not the least of which is that they will be going out of business shortly. Their warranties are an absolute joke. Their extended warranties (of which you don't really need for an oven, but still) are horrendously overpriced. Their customer service is a complete crock of shit. I could go on.

The logical conclusion for Kenmore is to get spun off into a separate brand. God only knows what will happen at this point though.

I can access Consumer Reports if you'd like to see the ratings for ovens, or other appliances. Personally, I bought The Great Satan a new Samsung and its been fantastic. I got an amazing deal via a package price-price match at Best Buy for the oven/micro/fridge. Took weeks of work and TONS of haggling at different BB's but it was worth it.
That's cool - yeah if you have anything on Consumer Reports for Induction that would be great.

Jamie

Level 2 Member
The people selling appliances at Sears do work on commission. According to a friend who worked in optical t sears there is a lot of room for negotiating on appliances.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Here you go @Matt, let me know if you want the user reviews on any models in particular:

CapturFiles.png

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Btw - that included all models of Kenmore, so they apparently don't think too highly of your Elite model.

Edit - completely FUBARED this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Btw - that included all models of Kenmore, so they apparently don't think too highly of your Elite model.
Isn't my Elite model the one they list here? Interestingly the Samsung I see on Sears Outlets.. but Samsung are the only brand sold there that will not honor a manufacturers warranty on 'like new'...

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Isn't my Elite model the one they list here? Interestingly the Samsung I see on Sears Outlets.. but Samsung are the only brand sold there that will not honor a manufacturers warranty on 'like new'...
Whoops, you're right. My bad. I accidentally typed in the wrong number when I was hunting for it online.

That Samsung model on top of the ratings seems discontinued.

If you really want to be a bad ass, get this one:

http://gizmodo.com/fake-led-flames-indicate-how-hot-samsungs-new-induction-1649057270

smittytabb

Staff member
Your damn range is haunting me! That Kenmore range now pops up on my Facebook and my yahoo mail in addition to here.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
...And, Kenmore = Whirlpool. Amana = Whirlpool. KitchenAid = Whirlpool. JennAir = Whirlpool. And Whirlpool = Whirlpool. Possibly others.

Big ugly factory on the east side of St. Paul. My ex worked there for 2 months in the summer, during college. Left at 2 PM, one 90+ degree day and quit. Back then, no air conditioning, so it was well over 100F in the factory. I remember him saying that he couldn't imagine how the men who'd already worked there for 25 or more years had survived.

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
Alright, I got all stoked thinking I hit the jackpot with this > http://goo.gl/Gz5Tyo Realized later it's the same one someone posted earlier on Kmart. Damn! Kinda confusing to spot the difference. Couldn't come up with anything better than what's already listed. Wanted to mention if you were willing to check into another brand Home Depot has some incredible deals going on right now on ranges. Might be worth a look.

We're all invited to Matts place for Thanksgiving this year, right?

smittytabb

Staff member
Alright, I got all stoked thinking I hit the jackpot with this > http://goo.gl/Gz5Tyo Realized later it's the same one someone posted earlier on Kmart. Damn! Kinda confusing to spot the difference. Couldn't come up with anything better than what's already listed. Wanted to mention if you were willing to check into another brand Home Depot has some incredible deals going on right now on ranges. Might be worth a look.

We're all invited to Matts place for Thanksgiving this year, right?
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was the same one too. Glad it wasn't just me!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
OK folks - time to pick a winner... I believe that @smittytabb has the lowest price - let me know if I missed any others before I send the prize money to him.

FWIW going into this I had already seen the Sears Outlet option, and there is actually a model in UT which if I shipped to NY rather than buying local would get me $799 + $200 vs $1099+100.. I'm still unsure about buying a showroom model. My method, if I had gone through the outlet was to buy GC from Stop and Shop from today, as they are offering a 4x on store cards (I think that they sell Sears) so that would be 4000 Gas Rewards points, plus 5x for Stop and Shop, plus 4x for Sears Outlet via TopCashBack.

I think this has raised a number of very interesting thoughts, and well worth the investment - thanks for playing along!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Go smitty!

The reason I posted the Kenmore, etc = Whirlpool info is that, if you look at the innards of all those brands, they are essentially the same. But JennAir is considered an elite brand, while Amana, not so much.

Not just for Matt's gorgeous range, but any time you are looking at major appliances, consider the family they come from, and see if there's a cousin that is very similar, but can be gotten for less d/t less prestigious brand, or deep discounting, or both.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Go smitty!

The reason I posted the Kenmore, etc = Whirlpool info is that, if you look at the innards of all those brands, they are essentially the same. But JennAir is considered an elite brand, while Amana, not so much.

Not just for Matt's gorgeous range, but any time you are looking at major appliances, consider the family they come from, and see if there's a cousin that is very similar, but can be gotten for less d/t less prestigious brand, or deep discounting, or both.
Ahem
Is it too late to get you to switch to a comparable LG or Samsung model so we can use price matching as a weapon? The Kenmore Elite is made by LG anyway, plus it's not blue inside!
Will gladly collect the cash and the crown. Adding "Cheapskate" to the resume as we speak.
I think a nice pink banner proclaiming your new title would be in order.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
@Rambo: THANKS! I just learned something. It used to be just Whirlpool who made appliances for Sears. Now it's one of several. Who knew?

lancemahn

Level 2 Member
While I can't help you with the cheap purchase, I can help with the long term value ala consumer reports on the model you are considering. I think I can send you a pdf from my membership of their specific recommendations re: appliances. PM if you wanna give it a try.
L

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
While I can't help you with the cheap purchase, I can help with the long term value ala consumer reports on the model you are considering. I think I can send you a pdf from my membership of their specific recommendations re: appliances. PM if you wanna give it a try.
L
Thanks Lance, I've already made this purchase, but good to know.