The AA.com Brazil Deal

ChiliPalmer

Look at me.
Is anyone over here hoping that the ticket they booked yesterday will come through?

Basically, due to a currency conversion error, fares book on AA's Brazilian website were pricing at 10% of normal.

People got pretty inventive. I saw itineraries on Cathay in First. 90% off.

Question is: what will actually get issued.

AA is making some fairly bold statements on Twitter about honoring these.

I only made one reservation, and that was a quick weekend in Hawaii at $80 per person. So I'm all AA metal, but no Brazil component, which would likely help. Naturally, I'm also using a US credit card. So I've got a few strikes against my chance of success.

pstravels

Level 2 Member
Given my scientific experiments and multivariate quantile regression analysis of a a statistically insignificant number of data sets*...
You are more and more likely to have it honored if, in increasing order:
(50%)-your card is charged for the ticket
(50- 99%)-ticket is issued
(99%)-you check in

*Note the data used for such analysis may be fictitious and the statistical tests described above may have only been used for entertainment purposes.

pstravels

Level 2 Member
In all seriousness...it does look optimistic based on the twitter responses. The airline's stance seems more favorable than what I've seen for other similar scenarios, so that in itself adds a great deal to the chances of it coming through for you. Congrats on getting the fare though, that's most of the battle. The rest is just chilling like a boss and waiting to see what happens.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Im waiting on two to ticket.... neither are crazy exciting or even crazy good deals (1k for two t HKG on AA metal in biz, eww, and 2k for two to dub on BA metal in 1st) I was on my work computer, which has a crazy slow firewalled internet, so I wasted way too much time looking for the best possible routings and trying to figure out how to get it cheaper. Didnt realize until it was too late that taxes were being charged correctly, it was only messed up base fares., thus the high Europe/Aust fares. Was trying to put another flight on hold to SIN, using CX and JL in 1st when they killed it. Oh well!

The CLP deal out of Chile was wayyyy better.... ~200 for 1st class tickets.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Also to add...I think for all mistake fares in the future, starting/ending(!) your travel in brazil might be a good way to get your ticket. It seems their consumer protection agency/laws are actually, you know, meant to protect the consumer.

ChiliPalmer

Look at me.
I was wracking my brain for other trips I could schedule, but finally gave up. I have some trips planned with miles, but I couldn't find any halfway decent routings where it would make sense to switch. More time . . . needed more time.

I really didn't think partner flights had any chance. Had I realized, I might have hit it hard. I'd really like to be an Exec Plat next year, so I could have scheduled some good Cathay flights back and forth to get there.