Thanks For Quietly Killing Sweet Spots, Hilton

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Thanks to comments in my 10 favorite Hilton low category redemptions, I uncovered (so far) 2 devaluations that took place between the time I initially composed the post (last year) to when I published it (a few days ago). I actually have 20-30 unfinished posts in the queue right now – I have lots of ideas and lack time to finish them. Anyway, the 2 no-announcement devaluations are:

• Hampton Inn Mexico City – Centro Historico. Was 10k, now 20k per night.
  • Hampton Inn Krakow. Was 5k, now 10k.
I’ll add one more that I know for a fact had the same no-announcement devaluation:

• Hilton Garden Inn Singapore Serangoon. Was 10k initially, now 20k.

I’m sure there are others. This doesn’t surprise me one bit. I knew this was going to happen the day they nixed the award chart. I was sick to my stomach when some of the big commercial blogs went along with Hilton’s Kool Aid – that this change was “for the best.” No matter what Hilton’s intentions may have been (and I doubt they were totally sincere), lack of award chart encourages lack of transparency, and that can only be a bad thing. It gave them the ability to change redemption rate without answering to customers, and they have done just that – the above are 3 examples.

Hilton is now firmly the Delta of hotel programs. They cannot be trusted. So far Hilton hasn’t made sweeping “category” (RIP) changes – as far as I can tell, but they now have the foundation for doing so at their choosing – unlike other programs that still have award charts and announce the changes. I’m disappointed with bloggers who cheered/dismissed the award chart annihilation and continue to neglect the devaluations and further implications.

Are you aware of other Hilton sweet spots that received The Treatment?

The post Thanks For Quietly Killing Sweet Spots, Hilton appeared first on Points Adventure.

Continue reading...