Thailand

beth p

Level 2 Member
So we just booked our first Asia trip for 80k United miles. We have a 2.5 day stop over in Hong Kong, then fly to BKK.
Looking for advice on:
-what to do for our short stay in Hong Kong (2.5 days)
-what to do in Thailand, primarily what beaches/excursions etc to do (5-6 days) then 2 set aside for Bangkok
We're in our 30's. I'm looking forward to the scenery and snorkeling.

I will report back on the trip when we return!
Thanks!!
Beth

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
For HK I enjoyed side trips to Lantau and Macau, and dinner at Jumbo Kingdom was kinda fun.

I don't really like a lot of Thailand, but Koh Tao was a highlight, great diving.

tmount

Administrator
For a stay in Hong Kong, I agree with Matt, Macau is nice. Other things you could check out would be the Peak, you can take a tram up there. Also, check out the symphony of lights from Kowloon side. There are a bunch of nice markets, including the Night Market, Ladies Market, Jade Market, Stanley Market (about an hour's ride to the other side of Hong Kong Island), and finally there's the Giant Buddha, if you are ok with heights and cable car rides.

For Thailand - Bangkok is nice, 2-3 days is a good amount of time. Do try to take in a roof-top restaurant or at least a drink at one. There's one at the Centara Grand, and I think at the Banyan Tree (although haven't been).

Outside of Bangkok, avoid Pattaya (others told me, I ignored, went there this past May, regretted it). My favorite place is the JW Marriott Khao Lak, which is an hour's flight south of Bangkok to Phuket, then 90 or so minute's drive north. I'm actually heading there next week. Its perfect if you want to spend time at the beach, and disconnect. There are some beach-side restaurants and massage places that allow you to avoid the hotels higher prices (e.g. beach-hut massage was only 300 baht last I was there, vs. ~$50 US at the hotel).

I've heard good things about Hua Hin, that's a few hours drive from Bangkok, there's also Krabi, and Koh Samui, but I haven't been.

McRingRing

Level 2 Member
If you like Thai food, definitely take a cooking class. I took one in Chiang Mai and it was great. I'm sure there are plenty of options in Bangkok.

incendia

Level 2 Member
I just got back from Thailand

I think bangkok can be done in 2 it was way over the top with pushing stuff on tourists chasing mail was a lot more chilled
Travel by metered taxi

For Bangkok:
If you go to the palace where long pants/skirts and no tank tops
The red Cross has a poisonous Snake show that was interesting it was 2 or 3 stops on the MRT from the Jim Thompson house
You can also try a river/ canal tour
The royal barges were very nice but underwhelming it was an interesting walk through back alleys to get there

This is the cooking class we did
http://www.maykaidee.com/cooking-school/thai-cooking-class

Gatelouse

Level 2 Member
If you have an extra half day or so and want to do something different as a day trip from Bangkok go see the Flying Foxes at Wat Pho Bang Khla in Chachoengsao Province. There are 1000's of flying foxes at the temple. This isn't the tourist trail so make sure and have your hotel write the names of where you are going so you can show it to drivers. I took a bus from Bangkok to Chachoengsao then took a songthaew to Bang Khla, then finally a motorcycle taxi to the temple. Here is a photo I took there.fox.JPG

Gatelouse

Level 2 Member
For Thailand - Bangkok is nice, 2-3 days is a good amount of time. Do try to take in a roof-top restaurant or at least a drink at one. There's one at the Centara Grand, and I think at the Banyan Tree (although haven't been).
Agree with the suggestion to have a drink or two at a rooftop bar. I've been to Octave at the Marriott Sukhumvit, Above 11 at Frasier Suites and the Skybar at Lebua and anyone of them is worth a visit.

stellar

Level 2 Member
So we just booked our first Asia trip for 80k United miles. We have a 2.5 day stop over in Hong Kong, then fly to BKK.
Looking for advice on:
-what to do for our short stay in Hong Kong (2.5 days)
-what to do in Thailand, primarily what beaches/excursions etc to do (5-6 days) then 2 set aside for Bangkok
We're in our 30's. I'm looking forward to the scenery and snorkeling.

I will report back on the trip when we return!
Thanks!!
Beth
Did you complete your trip? We just booked flights so are in the itinerary planning stage now.