House of Cards
Orange is the New Black
Orphan Black
Game of Thrones

(For the immature - Workaholics)

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
+1 Suits

How to Get Away with Murder - I want Viola Davis as my criminal defense attorney

Big Bang Theory

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
+1 Suits
+1 The Americans
+1 House of Cards
+1 Orphan Black
+1 Game of Thrones

The Good Wife
Vikings
Justified
Madam Secretary
The Blacklist
Homeland

Last edited:

NickPFD

Mmmm.... yeah....
Staff member
Since we have a lot of travelers here--has anybody seen "Hotel Impossible"? I really enjoy that one.

Also, "Arrow" is a guilty pleasure. Kind of a cross between "Batman" and an Aaron Spelling series.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Since we have a lot of travelers here--has anybody seen "Hotel Impossible"? I really enjoy that one.

Also, "Arrow" is a guilty pleasure. Kind of a cross between "Batman" and an Aaron Spelling series.
I think I saw one episode of Hotel Impossible a while back but I can't recall much and most definitely not the hotel.

My wife likes The Flash and Arrow a bit. It's OK. Doesn't have great lines but it's actually pretty good production considering the usual super simple plot and storyline.

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
+1 Suits, True Detective, House of Cards
++1 Homeland! love it

For comedy:
Brooklyn 99
Mindy Project

pillow25

Level 2 Member
+1 House of Cards
+1 Workaholics

Last Week Tonight - love John Oliver's investigative pieces (HBO)
Archer - animated comedy about a dysfunctional spy agency (FX)
Burn Notice - Miami Vice meets McGyver - discontinued but on Netflix
House MD - grumpy, misogynistic, hilarious, and brilliant physician - discontinued but on Netflix

Guilty pleasure - The Bacheleorette - love the ABC-manufactured drama

Since we are a travel forum:
  • No Reservations and Parts Unknown (separate shows) - Anthony Bourdain goes to various parts of the world and eats and drinks. It's on Travel Channel and Netflix.
  • Jiro: Dreams of Sushi - movie on Netflix about one of the world's best restaurants

sriki

Level 2 Member
Anyone interested in the reboot of heroes? (My research area in collage was image processing. So, some of the tech they use is (was) fascinating to me)

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Sorry, not if it's the same people who did the original Heroes. That one started out pretty good with the coolness factor but the writing and direction sucked ass. No amount of good characters and decent actors could save the mess that it was. Couldn't overlook that. Obviously, just IMHO.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Sorry, not if it's the same people who did the original Heroes. That one started out pretty good with the coolness factor but the writing and direction sucked ass. No amount of good characters and decent actors could save the mess that it was. Couldn't overlook that. Obviously, just IMHO.
You are right. It sucked later on. That happened as a result of writer's strike and sub-par writers came in to continue it. That strike affected a lot of the popualr series at that time. Here's to some hope that they can give it a good revival and/or ending.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Dood, The Unit was pretty damn good! Too bad not enough people got into it... miss the good action and drama written into the show.

Firefly was pretty good oldie and had a cult following.

Fringe most definitely had some of the old X-Files feel to it. Decent.

I'm assuming you meant the remade Battle Star Galactica, since you probably weren't old enough for the 80's version? Both good series, either way.

Last edited:

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
You are right. It sucked later on. That happened as a result of writer's strike and sub-par writers came in to continue it. That strike affected a lot of the popualr series at that time. Here's to some hope that they can give it a good revival and/or ending.
Oh I forgot about that strike. Explains things. Bleh...left a bitter after taste. Not looking forward to testing that out again! LOL

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I hadn't thought about that. We were watching Heroes on Netflix. Watched an episode every night, couldn't wait for the next one, and, all of the sudden...we didn't care. The strike explains it.

Haley

I am not a robot
I don't think these have been mentioned:

Better Off Ted
Arrested Development
The IT Crowd

Netflix or Hulu I'm not sure which has them.

VDebs

Level 2 Member
Foyle's War- Awesome detective series set in Britain during WWII

Defiance- Really great Sci-Fi series about an earth full of aliens and strange terraforming technology

Peaky Blinders- Great series about a Birmingham gang post WWI and the interplay of politics and organized crime.

Archer- Because hilarious

Danger 5- One of the strangest and funniest shows you'll see about killing Hitler

Rick and Morty- Just...the...best cartoon comedy ever.

Sesq

Level 2 Member
Comedy:
Archer
The League (some fantasy football awareness helps, but not essential)

Drama:
The Wire (Obligatory)
Breaking Bad (Obligatory)

Sci Fi:
Farscape
Babylon 5 (slow start, terrible season 5, except the finale, but seasons 2 was good, 3 & 4 were awesome)
Doctor Who (the reboot is more accessible)

I am currently watching the Killing, pretty good so far, about halfway through the first season.

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
The Jinx (but currently running on HBO)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Nurse Jackie
Six Feet Under
Dexter
Homeland
Masters of Sex
Ray Donovan
Big Love
Louie

Jivepicnic

Level 2 Member
+1 Fargo
Peep Show (pick up the DVDs for Series 1-8 the next time you're in the UK and get yourself a region-free DVD player or set your CD-ROM drive to Region 2 -- a lot of work, but it's worth it)

Nina

Level 2 Member
+1 Justified
+1 Foyle's War

Person of Interest
Modern Family
The Men Who Built America (not really a show)

Gilmore Girls (re-runs)

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Modern Family
+1 ... brilliant writing.

Love the episode when Phil wrapped their van with an ad for his real estate business (when Alex shows him why he's getting so many calls, his response was "I guess I'll see you guys every other weekend...") .. or Cam bought Lily an electric toy car & she "crashes" the car inside the house ("Well, we knew she'd be a bad driver...")

Nina

Level 2 Member
+1 ... brilliant writing.

Love the episode when Phil wrapped their van with an ad for his real estate business (when Alex shows him why he's getting so many calls, his response was "I guess I'll see you guys every other weekend...") .. or Cam bought Lily an electric toy car & she "crashes" the car inside the house ("Well, we knew she'd be a bad driver...")
Or when Mitchell got a trophy for his environmental activities, Cam took out his trophy to put it next to Mitchell's, and Mitchell complained to Alex about Cam's trying to upstage him.
Mitchell: I was so glad I talked to Alex, because she agreed with every single thing I was feeling... which made me realize that I was acting like a 14-year-old girl.

Last edited:

Yeshu

Level 2 Member
Lie to me
Life on Mars (UK version - a must watch)
In treatment (HBO series - fantastic series a and must see if are you into Psychology)

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
How could I have not thought of this?

Orphan Black. First season is free on Amazon Prime. Second still costs. Third starts (this week?) on BBC America.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Or when Mitchell got a trophy for his environmental activities, Cam took out his trophy to put it next to Mitchell's, and Mitchell complained to Alex about Cam's trying to upstage him.
Mitchell: I was so glad I talked to Alex, because she agreed with every single thing I was feeling... which made me realize that I was acting like a 14-year-old girl.
I thought Modern Family would lose its appeal once the kids got older. Still as funny ... Alex accuses Claire for "pimping her out" ... or Lily making Joe take the blame for breaking Gloria's phone even though he can't walk (Lily confesses to the camera: "boy, did I get lucky" (she makes footsteps out of Joe's shoes) ... "I'm going to blame everything on him until he can talk") ... then they confront her: "Do you want to explain how Joe's shoes are the wrong feet?"

Last edited:

Andres

Level 2 Member
++ Breaking Bad, Southland, Sons of Anarchy, Dexter, House of Cards (there's an UK version that is good too)
+ Foyle's War, Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead, Suits, Mad Men, Call The Midwife, Wallander (both UK and Swedish version), Turn, Peaky Blinders, Lilyhammer

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
...and, now that the third season has started, second season of Orphan Black is free for individual episodes on A Prime.

I predict a good summer, watching two seasons' worth w/my daughter!

El Turk

Level 14 Insurance Salesman
The "5x" Shows
The Wire
Battlestar Galactica
Breaking Bad
The Sopranos
Borgen
Deadwood
Twin Peaks
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Seinfeld

The "2x" Shows
The Americans
True Detective
Carnivale
Six Feet Under
Firefly

The "1x" Shows (only worth it for the signup bonus)
Justified
Archer
Mad Men
House of Cards
Fargo
Peep Show
Rome
Boardwalk Empire
Bored to Death
Fawlty Towers
Summer Heights High

SomeRandomGuy

Nerd, Poet, Warrior
British shows:
The IT Crowd - the best tv series ever aired
Orphan Black
Sherlock
Downton Abbey
Doc Martin
Jeeves and Wooster (with Stephen Fry, & Hugh Laurie) - the third best tv series ever aired

US shows:
Silicon Valley - the second best tv series ever aired
Community
Arrested Development
Veep

Fun sitcoms:
Modern Family
New Girl
Better off Ted
Marry Me