Tax ID Theft

TravelDean

Say NO to road trips
So, I received a large tax refund in the mail yesterday but... I had not filed my taxes yet.
I called the IRS and they said I am a victim of identity theft.
Same day, I got letters from the IRS stating that they did not deposit my refund into the requested account but sent a check instead. (whew, likely much better that I have the check)
I have been doing the following for years:
  • Lifelock member
  • Shred any document with my personal info
  • Rarely give out my SSN
  • Checking my credit report weekly
Only odd thing that gave any hint prior to this was that I received a T-Mobile prepaid card with my name and address but it did not activate when I called in. (thought it was a replacement for my old one)
T-Mobile rep just said that someone had made the card in my name and they would take care of it. No indication that I should be concerned of identity theft or take action.

Now I have to go through the ID theft recovery process, hope it is not too bad

Last edited:

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
A similar thing happened to me. After I filed my return, I got a notice that my wife, joint return, hadn't filed. It turned out that someone else had filed a return for me as single and got the refund. They wouldn't tell me much but I had to send in some docs about my identity and returns.

This was two years ago so the IRS wasn't as familiar with the problem but they do have a process where they send you a PIN in the mail that is required for them to accept your e-filed return. If they don't offer it, push for it.

The good news is that I had no other identity theft issues.

While we always think of CC as the source but I was thinking DR office or medical. I'll never know for sure.

If you would like to chat privately, send a PM.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Crikey! I'd say its lucky you got the check as it would be a PITA to have to explain to the IRS that they wired your refund somewhere else...when they wanted it back!

Let us know how you get on with this, be keen to hear what steps people might suggest to cover the bases on this.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
The IRS was really easy to deal with in my case. I had to send in an affidavit along with copies of a couple pieces of government ID.

They wouldn't tell me anything about what the crooks filed due to "privacy concerns". Of the crooks? Really?

Once human eyes are on the return, they can see that the crook's return doesn't look at all like my previous year's return and the one I filed looked about the same.

The hardest time was getting them to enroll me in the ID theft PIN program where they send me a PIN to put on my return and won't process an e-filed return without it.

Nothing can be done in advance to prevent the problem as a filer but the IRS needs to re-evaluate the filing ease/security balance to make it harder on the crooks but it will also make e-filing harder for honest people. Same security/ease issues everywhere.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
In thinking about this, the main thing that can help avoid this type of fraud filing is to file your taxes as soon as you can. The crooks count on being able to get the "refund" before you file the good return. If you file early, their fraud return will get kicked.

To late for this year though.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Btw, the irs will only enroll you in the PIN program after you are a victim. You can't enroll as a preventative.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
I have to shamefully admit I haven't filed yet, nor asked for a Pin (don't hack me you gamesters!) but I thought this link implied anyone could get one? http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Electronic-Filing-PIN-Request
You're correct. The IRS must have opened the availability of the PIN program to non victims to help them fight the tide of filing fraud. It also gives the IRS some PR cover since it gives them something to say to the press and congress about their fraud fighting progress.

Good to see that it's now open to people without having the problem first.

Update: In looking a bit further into the issue, it looks like the e-file PIN from the link above is different from the PIN program for ID theft.

Here is the ID theft PIN link. I guess there is so much fraud in FL and GA that they open the program to everyone in those states.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-An-Identity-Protection-PIN

Last edited:

thedrills

Level 2 Member
This was a big problem a few people I know had this issue. If somehow you have a big overpayment from a previous year on your return and someone with Ill intentions sees it they can file a return with your info just claiming no income and saying please refund the overpayment instead of applying it. Shouldnt effect you in any way i would assume that it would be the IRSs problem. Someone told me that the IRS didnt send any refund because the person had filed MFJ status for the last 30+ years and all of a sudden they were filing as a single.

TravelDean

Say NO to road trips
Update on my situation.
Had to mail in my taxes with some added forms that were pretty simple.
I got my check finally in October and now this month I received my tax filing PIN for 2016.