Targeted Spend Offer for AAdvantage Aviator Red (Earn 30K Bonus Miles)

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
DISCOVER EXCITING NEW TRAVEL DESTINATIONS WITH 30,000 BONUS MILES

Earn 30,000 bonus miles – here's how it works:
  1. Register for this special offer by December 31, 2015
  2. Spend $2,500 or more on purchases using your AAdvantage®Aviator™ Red MasterCard® each month from December 2015 through May 2016 and earn 30,000 bonus miles
  3. Plan your next getaway – once you've earned your 30,000 bonus miles, they will be awarded in July 2016 and you will be able to redeem them for exciting adventures just a few days after that
I think I'll definitely hop on this one. MS $2,500 for $24.75/month for 6 months = $148.50 for 45,148 AA Miles.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
My wife got this one

Earn 45,000+ AAdvantage® miles – here's how it works:
  1. Register for this special offer by December 31, 2015.
  2. Spend $2,500 or more on purchases using your AAdvantage®Aviator™ Red MasterCard® each month from December 2015 through May 2016 and you'll earn 30,000 bonus miles. Plus, you'll earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on eligible American Airlines®purchases and 1X miles for every dollar spent on purchases everywhere else which adds up to at least 15,000 AAdvantage®miles.²
  3. Plan your next getaway – once you've earned your 30,000 bonus miles, they will be awarded in July 2016 and you will be able to redeem them for exciting adventures just a few days after that. AAdvantage® miles earned from your monthly purchases will be awarded monthly as they are earned.
It's the same offer as mine but they worded it differently.

DanT

Level 2 Member
That is an awesome offer! When is your annual fee due? There seems to be some speculation that these offers tend to come up before the AF is due. Also have you put any spend on the card other than because of promotions?

Linda marshall

Level 2 Member
I got this offer too (45K), and I was just about to call for a retention offer! I'm planning to call anyway and see if I can get the AF waived. Thanks for the calculations, Josh, it seemed like a pretty good deal, but your figures helped confirm this for me. It's going to be a busy couple of months for me working toward the min. spend for this (25K/month) in addition to min. spend for the SW Companion pass (14K by end of Jan), my new citigold card (3K by Feb 15) AND a new Alaska Business card which fortunately only requires an initial purchase. I think I'm up for it, in large part due to wealth of information I picked up at Travelcon II!!

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
That is an awesome offer! When is your annual fee due? There seems to be some speculation that these offers tend to come up before the AF is due. Also have you put any spend on the card other than because of promotions?
Mine is due February 1st and my wife's is due May 3rd. I haven't had any spend since May and my wife hasn't had any YTD. I was targeted for a promotion in August/September, but it wasn't worth it

DanT

Level 2 Member
I don't spend anything on mine. Last year I got an offer about a month before AF due offering me 10000 miles for $500 spend per month for 3 months. This year nothing although my card get the 10000 miles bonus every anniversary. My AF came due in September. I also had the summer offer this year. I think it was double miles for up to $10000 of spend. My wife also has not spent anything on hers since getting the card early this year. Neither of have been targeted by this promotion.

ashishsg

a$]-[u
I am about to call for retention as well but do not see this offer, did you receive email or see it online?

Beltway Explorers

Level 2 Member
I have two cards. One always gets targeted for the bonus spend promotions (and was for this one). The only bonuses that my second card gets are the less exciting ones like get an extra point or two on grocery store purchases. I only spend for bonus promos and mix flights between the two if paying with outright cash, but between A+ and BA miles that is rare.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
I think I put $26k on this card in 2015, and probably more than $10k in the past 2 months. My AF was due a week ago and I never got this offer. Calling soon to get the AF waived and will request the offer.

cavil

Level 2 Member
A cautionary tale...

This is a great offer. It’s tantamount to 3X miles on $2500 spend per month for 6 months. My wife and I both got this offer in Dec 2015 and completed it successfully. In November 2016 my wife got the offer again in the mail. I was not targeted this time. The flyer specifies one must activate the offer by calling or visiting a website. There’s also a specific promotion code in the flyer. I activated it via the website and DW proceeded to put $2500 per month on the card November through April 2017.

When the 30k bonus had not posted by the end of June, I contacted Barclays by SM. The response was promising “We can confirm that you accepted the offer for spending $2,500.00 from November 1, 2016 through April 30, 2017 to earn a bonus of 30,000 miles, and that you have met the spending requirement. Please note that the miles should have been awarded to your July 3, 2017 statement. As a result we have submitted Case xxxxxxxx to have the miles awarded to your account. “

A few days later a cryptic letter in the mail says only "We are currently unable to complete your request." There was no case number or explanation and no further SM communication.

So I SM’d about the cryptic letter and got “We regret to inform you that upon investigating the account in regards to the promotional offer, we show that your account was not properly enrolled. As such, we are unable to award the 30,000 bonus miles. If you have the communication that would have been sent indicating that you were enrolled in the promotion, we ask that you send the communication to our Customer Care Correspondence.”

I asked what form that communication would have taken and they had to admit that if enrolling via the web you just see a confirmation onscreen and no correspondence is sent. So, they expected me to have taken a screenshot of the fleeting confirmation.

The back and forth SMs continued: “Upon review, we can confirm that the offer in question was not properly opted into and we sincerely apologize for any misinformation received. …we have no record of enrollment we are unable to award the 30,000 bonus miles in question.”

I said I categorically did enroll and that the spending patterns for the next 6 months were strong circumstantial evidence. I concluded with “I am hoping someone in a supervisory position will see the merits of my case, and with an eye towards customer goodwill and courtesy, will be able to award the points in question.”

About a week later a letter arrived in the mail with the good news that the points were to be awarded. They showed up in my wife’s account a week later.
Thank you Barclays, even if you made me work hard for it!

Lesson learned. Confirm everything, screenshot everything, don’t take no for an answer.