T-mobile handset deals?

Erin

Level 2 Member
I am currently on a family plan for T-mo through my brother-in-law. $35/month for 2 lines with unlimited everything (data, txt, voice). The only downside is that we don't get any handset subsidies. So now I'm looking for a handset to replace my Galaxy S3 that is dying.

I don't need/want the latest and greatest new handset. Something for $2-300 that is at least as good as the S3 is all I'm interested in.

The best deal I've found so far seems to be from Wal-Mart- http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Prepaid-Smartphone/43388843

So I'm either looking for better deals or the best way to buy from WM.

TIA

PointsEarner615

Level 2 Member
That $35 a month for two lines is a pretty sweet deal -- I need to look at that. Is that a two-year commitment? I'm on T-mo's $30 prepaid for each line, unlimited data/text but 100 voice minutes.

For a no contract phone, the Moto G 2nd Gen works great. $179 from Amazon.

Erin

Level 2 Member
That $35 a month for two lines is a pretty sweet deal -- I need to look at that. Is that a two-year commitment? I'm on T-mo's $30 prepaid for each line, unlimited data/text but 100 voice minutes.

For a no contract phone, the Moto G 2nd Gen works great. $179 from Amazon.
I guess I should have been more clear, he is a T-Mobile engineer so it's an insider deal. I know I'm spoiled.

I had seen the moto g and was very intrigued. It looks like it doesn't have WiFi calling available and my house is a complete dead zone for cell service so that is a necessary feature.

RWC75

Level 2 Member
Try this deal via FatWallet: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1445181/

$50 for a new unlocked Moto E LTE from Best Buy, plus $25 back in Best Buy Rewards. It will originally be set up for Verizon, but there's a link in the deal thread that shows you how to set it up for GSM (T-Mobile) rather than CDMA. This will work very very well, will give similar or better performance to the Galaxy S4, and be a fraction of the price.

I'm planning to pick one up myself today actually.

Erin

Level 2 Member
According to CNET, only high-end phones feature carrier-enabled WiFi calling:

I would anticipate that more phones will get this feature shortly, but for now, you'd be limited to calls via WhatsApp, Hangouts, etc.
I think that list is quite a bit shorter than reality as my Galaxy S3 has WiFi calling on it. Not sure why there would be an error in the information but it highlights the uncertainty in going with an "aftermarket" phone.

L

Liquidops

Try looking into Alcatel Onetouch Idol 3 for $249 on Amazon. Some people would say it's a better value than S4

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
Hopefully Erin already has her solution.

I just wanted to point out that people tend to replace phones, laptops, etc for all the wrong reasons. When they say it's dying, either they just need a new battery or something (which is possible with anything even if the manufacturer claims it isn't), or more likely...

Computing devices just plain slow down and bloat up from use.

You don't need a new one. Just root it, backup the OS (periodically backing up your personal files etc is hopefully a no-brainer unless you're like me and Tom Brady), wipe it, then put the OS back. Then there's some instances where you'd wanna switch to a cleaner OS like CyanogenMod. For example I believe if you're really frugal and have say a Samsung Galaxy S2, even Samsung will say you can't run a more advanced Android than 2.x. Well, switching to CyanogenMod would easily get you up to Android 4.x

RWC75

Level 2 Member
Rooting and installing a custom OS is the easiest way to get a lot more performance from your phone. I recently upgraded from a 5 year old MyTouch 4G to a Moto E 2015 edition that I got from Amazon for $99. GSM with 4G LTE, I rooted it and dropped a CyanogenMod build on it this past weekend. Easily 90% of the performance of a higher-end phone, totally unlocked and usable worldwide, for a fraction of the price.

Erin

Level 2 Member
Rooting and installing a custom OS is the easiest way to get a lot more performance from your phone. I recently upgraded from a 5 year old MyTouch 4G to a Moto E 2015 edition that I got from Amazon for $99. GSM with 4G LTE, I rooted it and dropped a CyanogenMod build on it this past weekend. Easily 90% of the performance of a higher-end phone, totally unlocked and usable worldwide, for a fraction of the price.
Are you on T-mobile? If so, does Wi-fi calling still work after the root? I'm limping along on my S3 with a replacement power switch but its anybody's guess how long it will last.

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
Because it's wifi, Wi-fi calling does not depend on the carrier except to the extent that it presents the proper phone number to the callee.

My phone number is Google Voice cuz that gives me a phone number for life* without having to put in requests to whichever carrier whenever I switch. So I use Google Voice and Google Hangouts and the Hangouts Dialer. It's freaking awesome, you can even use your phone's native messaging app to send/receive texts with the proper number -- get this -- even when you have no wifi connectivity.

* This is similar in concept to what all people should be doing for their main email address, too. Friends don't let friends have silly email address domain suffixes (.net etc) when they switch ISPs, plus you never have to send "Here's my new email address" broadcasts LOL.

Oh BTW I'm pretty sure there are soft power switch apps, search the Store or the google. I doubt they will turn it on, but it should double the life due to turning it off LOL.

Last edited: