SYD-US the long way

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Any ideas on how to do this using the least number of miles? I have enough miles to do it in about any program I think. Currently flying US-SYD, SYD-US on DL and thinking of changing it to an around the world. Current exit date from SYD would be 12/29, with some flexability. Im fine with a combo of miles too.

I can't seem to find any DL space or how the routing would work no matter what combos I try...

Singapore unfortunately charges crazy ex-Aus surcharges and the miles to get to JFK are rather high.

AA looks to be around 150k (maybe 142.5 via LON but high surcharges) each in First using either all Etihad or a Etihad/Quantas combo through DXB

United would be over 200k for first best I can tell.

Anyone got any tips, hints, tricks, thoughts?

rpsandiego

Maybe you could start by enumerating all programs not just the metal which flies the route, e.g.
  1. Flying Blue
  2. Flying Club
  3. Elevate
  4. Avios
  5. HawaiianMiles
  6. Aeroplan
  7. KrisFlyer
  8. LifeMiles
and how much it would cost for each on their own metal or via partners...

TheBOSman

Staff member
Ooooh my favorite award :).

UA, DL, and AA do not allow USA-SYD on one award via the Atlantic currently. So, you would need to book two awards to go that way using those programs.

Australia has high airport taxes, so that is a rather large portion of the SQ surcharges (although their fuel surcharges are not low either). Expect a decently high charge no matter what.

For me, I would book SYD-DXB with QF using AA miles if available, and then try to avoid London if you don't want to pay the surcharges on BA. Definitely leave SYD (or MEL) on QF F if at all remotely possible, the QF SYD and MEL F lounges are among the best anywhere.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Yeah, there was availability on QF for MEL-DXB-LON, but not the MEL-DXB only leg, otherwise I would have been all over that. I wish there was a way to force it to allow only the MEL/SYD-DXB leg, not as a through flight.

There is availability on Qatar first from MEL-DOH-DXB/AUH, though I'm not sure how I feel about Qatar..

Last edited: