Swaziland ??

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Our Africa trip is soon approaching, and it has kept me very busy! That and serious problems with my wrist and fingers (yes, computer related) are the reasons why I have posted very little on the Forum and I miss interacting with you all!

We are in southern Africa for the month of Feb., and purposely left about 9 days unscheduled. Last night we started to consider renting a car in JNB for 4-5 days so we can do a little road trip to the Cradle of Humankind in ZA and to Swaziland. We are considering going here for a night or two:

http://www.swazi.travel/Mkhaya_Game_Reserve_for_Endangered_Species

Has anyone done any travel in the areas around the Cradle and/or in Swaziland? We have been googling road trips in Swaziland but I always appreciate any advice my travel hacking friends may be able to offer. If you have an itinerary to share with info on places to see and to stay, that would be super.

Thanks!

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
Funny you should bring up Swaziland. I just pulled out notes to answer another query here. We went some years ago. Game viewing wasn't particularly good in Swaziland. The country suffers from poaching and there is little game to see. We spent a night at Reilly's Rock, http://www.thekingdomofswaziland.com/pages/lodges/lodge.asp?LodgeID=2. John Wayne stayed there while filming Hatari. We had the good fortune to have the family staying there when we were there and spent some hours talking to Ted Reilly, now head of the national parks in Swaziland. Handicraft shopping was fantastic, and I am no shopper. We did most of our craft shopping of the trip in Swaziland.

Last edited:

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Hi @SanDiego1K ! Nice to "see" you again!

If I remember correctly, the lodge we are considering is actually staffed by local people who mobilized to work against poaching. It appears that the problem has improved.

We will be at Arathusa Lodge in Sabi Sands and Muchenje Lodge in Chobe so this would be "extra"and not our main focus for game viewing. My husband likes that Swazi seems to be a place South African locals go as well as the collective efforts to band together against poaching.

I've heard crafts there are indeed super. Good idea to wait to buy things there.

What brought you there and how long ago did you go?

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
It's been 10 years or so ago. We drove from Capetown to Addo Elephant Park, flew to Durban, then drove on thru some parks and back to JNB. We wanted to see more of South Africa and it is quite economical to do it self drive. If you have the time and energy, I recommend going on to St Lucia. We had the most amazing view of hippos there. We took a government boat down the river for 2 or 3 hours and saw a number of pods of hippos in the water. We could have done a number of dental exams quite easily if we'd be willing enough to get close. Absolutely extraordinary. http://www.stluciasouthafrica.com/hippo-croc-boat-cruise-st-lucia/

I understand Botswana in uncomfortably hot this time of year. If you think of it, would you please circle around after your trip and let me know your thoughts? And I'd love to know what you think of where you are staying.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Yes, it may be quite warm but this was the time we could go.

Remind me about your wanting my feedback as I may not remember who wanted what on various threads!

We are gone til the first week in March, on the ground in Africa for 4 weeks.