Summer Suggestions: Madrid

asthejoeflies

Staff member
Welcome back to the series Summer Suggestions, where I recommend places for you to visit this summer because we can’t! While I’ll offer some ideas about how to get there, what to do, this series isn’t meant to be comprehensive. I just want to write about fun destinations and put some ideas out there for people to get in their heads. For the second in this series, I’ll be discussing one of my favorite cities in Europe: Madrid. Be sure to check out my thoughts on the Amalfi Coast from the first post as well!

Spain is at the forefront of many travel hacking enthusiasts minds at the moment thanks to the new Chase Iberia card. And while I’d caution against signing up for every shinky new card out there, the buzz has me reminiscing about one of my favorite cities in all of Europe, Madrid. Spain is a great place to visit, especially if you’re traveling from the East Coast where it takes only a little bit longer than a flight to California. And while I’d give Barcelona a slight edge food wise, overall I think Madrid is my favorite city in Spain.

You can enjoy great food, museums, and architecture in Madrid. Plus, everybody goes to bed late in Spain so you don’t even have to jet lag adjust your kids as much! Let’s take a closer look at Spain’s central capital.

• How to get to Madrid
  • Miles and points availability to Madrid
  • Where to stay in Madrid
  • What to do in Madrid

Retiro Park is a great place for a stroll in Madrid
How to get to Madrid

Many airlines fly directly to Madrid. Now if you’re like me and have a family, you probably prefer a direct flight off the bat. What I’d advise doing for Madrid (or anywhere, really), is search for Madrid’s airport in Wikipedia. (Related: Using Wikipedia to search airline routes). The IATA code is MAD. You want the Barajas airport (incidentally, the airport is beautiful). Then search for your home city and see if anyone flies directly to Madrid. If any of those airlines belong to a major alliance, you can search for award space.

Once you know your options, you can start looking for flights. If you’re looking to save money while booking with cash, I still like to use Kayak although it’s interface is starting to get annoying. If you prefer an alternative use Google Flights instead.

In terms of award flights, you’ll find the many major carriers fly directly to North America. Below is a list and where I’d recommend checking for award space (in parentheses).

• Air Canada (united.com)
  • Air Europa (Expertflyer or airfrance.us)
  • American Airlines (alaskaair.com or aa.com)
  • Delta Airlines (Expertflyer or delta.com)
  • Iberia (aa.com or britishairways.com)
  • United (united.com)

Channeling “anything is possibleee” at the Royal Palace
Miles and Points Availability to Madrid

Like I did with Amalfi, I searched a few award routes for award space for a family of four (man, my third child will be a killer one day when we need to buy her a ticket!). Remember even if you don’t live in the cities I’ve searched for, if you can find transatlantic space you can always book a positioning flight.

For four people, there are some days in July with space on AA economy (30K+$19 flights), but no business award space at quick glance:

For United and Star Alliance, there is a ton of space for four in economy out of New York, and also some in business though most of that is with connections:

United and partners in economy

United and partners in business

And for fun I checked Delta out of Boston. There’s good space in economy for four although no nonstop and some scattered dates in business. Most of the flights go through JFK.

Boston to Madrid in Delta coach

Boston to Madrid in Delta business

One last word of caution when searching for award flights, cash flights to Europe have been dropping in price overall. That means you should always compare the number of miles you’d pay for an award against how much you’d pay if you used bank points at AMEX, Citi, or Chase Travel since a lot of those cards have an uplift. For example don’t pay 60,000 miles roundtrip for a $600 flight, since even at 1 cent per point you can book through any one of those credit card travel portals and earn mileage credit for your flights (a simple example, but hopefully you get my drift).

Where to stay in Madrid

We’ve never stayed in a chain hotel in Madrid and have been happy with our decision. We really enjoyed Hotel Europa for its location in Puerta del Sol, a huge pedestrian area. At about $125/night even in July the price is right for us. It’s lovely to walk around during the day and at night, though bear in mind that people go to bed late in Spain. If you don’t want to hear happy youths singing at night, maybe stay a bit further out. But we loved staying in Puerta del Sol, everything is basically walkable and there’s so much to see and do. There are also plenty of hostels in that area if you are looking to save money.

We could sort of look down at Puerta del Sol from our Hotel Europa room

Spoiler alert for things to do, but our stays in Madrid revolve around the Museo Nacional del Prado, my favorite art museum in the entire world. So I personally would prefer to stay within walking distance.

If you’re looking for chains, there is a Hyatt Centric on Gran Via about a mile from the Prado. Cash prices run about 200 Euros in the summer; it’s a category 5 hotel meaning rooms cost 20,000 points/night. That’s a great value but maximum room occupancy is 2 adults, 1 child, so most families will need to book two rooms.

Hilton surprisingly only has a hotel at the airport and a “small, boutique” Doubletree (??) which costs like 102,000 points a night so that’s a non-starter.

While I agree with The Deal Mommy that IHG can be annoying, there’s a centrally located Hotel Indigo on Gran Via for ~125 Euros or 35,000 points/night. I don’t love the Intercontinental Madrid’s location because we like to walk everywhere, but it’s right next to a Metro station and only 40,000 points/night.

The one downside of Hotel Europa, at least six years ago, was Wi-fi that required sitting by the door to get a decent signal
Things to do in Madrid

Like I said, we love Madrid and even have gone back for repeat visits (something I love to do but Jess shies away from). It’s high up on my list of places to visit with the kids. For those of you like us who have infants, I wouldn’t be too concerned about traveling to Spain with them, like I said everybody stays up late and they seem to love their babies there! Here are some of my favorite things to do.

Obligatory patatas bravas photo
1. Museo Nacional del Prado

I’d say I thought art was like “cool” for a time, at least to impressive my wife, but the Prado is the museum that made me genuinely love art. The museum is filled with amazing pieces from all over the world, but of course has an emphasis on some Spanish artists. The highlight of the entire museum is Las Meninas, Velazquez’s masterpiece. If you’re touring around Spain, you’ll see just how much this painting influenced Spanish art over the centuries: I especially loved Picasso’s renditions which we saw in Barcelona (I think).

My recommendation: visit the Prado during free admission (after 6 PM most days, 5 PM Sundays and holidays) and swim through crowds to get a general lay of the land. Then, pony up the money for one day of admission and get an audio guide. If you enjoy art (or want to try), it’s a museum that warrants the multiple days.

By Diego Velázquez – The Prado in Google Earth: Home – 7th level of zoom, JPEG compression quality: Photoshop 8., Public Domain
2. Other museums and sites

Other places I’d recommend visiting (and paying admission to) are the Royal Palace of Madrid and the Sofia Reina Museum (modern art). The Sofia Reina has some great pieces, and I’ve found modern art sometimes appeals to kids more so that’s something to bear in mind. To be honest, I didn’t love the Royal Palace (it was like 100 degrees the day we went). However, when you’re in Europe, you sort of need to go check out these super old palaces and castles, so I’d still keep it on the list.

3. Take a stroll

I’m pretty sure every single one of my Summer Suggestions will have “take a stroll” as a thing to do. But it’s just a great way to get a feel for a place and just soak in the atmosphere. Like I said before, I love walking around Puerta del Sol – the street musicians there are awesome. You haven’t lived until you’ve heard four Spanish guys singing Hotel California, let me tell you.

Such a lovely place…

Another nice place to take a walk is Retiro Park, which has enough shade that you can even enjoy it during the hot summer. I took a nap there our first afternoon when I was dealing with jet lag. Also be sure to check out the Plaza Mayor, which also has some great places to eat. Speaking of which.

4. Eat, eat, eat

It’s tough to give food recommendations for Madrid because I found everything to be mostly amazing. I’d suggest getting a bocadillo (fancy ham sandwich) from Museo del Jamon (there are multiple locations). Really, any cured meat in Spain with a plate of cheese will knock your socks off. Obviously, in Spain you’ll want to eat Tapas, you can do a Tapas bar crawl even with your kids since there’s a lot of outside seating.

Ham so good they put it in a museum

If you want a taste of Barcelona, check out Sagardi for pintxos, which I can best describe as tapas on toothpicks. (I love pintxos). And, my favorite tip: ask for tap water. Before we went I was told Madrid is super proud of their tap water and honestly it is great. Ask for “agua de grifo” at every meal.

Pintxos from Sagardi

Oh, and for dessert, dip some churros in chocolate at Chocolateria San Gines or some helado (gelato) at Giangrossi.

5. Take a day trip to Toledo

I’d only recommend this if you’re spending a long time in Madrid or on a repeat visit. We took an hour train to Toledo and had a great day trip there. There’s lovely architecture, tons of El Greco paintings to look at, and the city is a bit quieter than Madrid. I think it provides a great change of pace on a longer vacation.

Final Thoughts

Writing this post has just made me sad we haven’t been back to Madrid in six (!?) years. It’s a lovely city and the place where I fell in love with art and Magnum ice cream bars. If you’ve been to Madrid, I’d love to hear your recommendations and what you enjoy for the next time we go back. Hit me up in the comments!

Never miss a post! Subscribe below and receive an e-mail once a day for new posts from asthejoeflies. Also, follow our family adventures on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Subscribe to asthejoeflies

First Name

Email Address

Continue reading...

gumercindo

Level 2 Member
Great writeup! Madrid is also one of my favorite european cities, despite not having a good first impression. My thoughts on Madrid:

1) First off, you can find great saver redemptions to Madrid (AA, UA, etc.). Lots of good availability as opposed to BCN which is a bit tougher.

2) Madrid, at first glance, is not your typical European capital. There aren't a ton of "must see" monuments/tourist sites, etc., which makes it unique. Yes, there are some nice things to see but it's not jammed to the gils with throngs of tourists like most other european capitals.

3) Friendly people. Yes, I speak spanish so that helps, but I am amazed at how friendly the people there are.

4) Great strolling city - Salamanca, La Latina neighborhoods, parque Retiro, etc. are all great places to stroll through

5) Thyssen - best museum here, imo. The prado has the hype but the Thyssen is where it's at. Small building but perfectly curated.

6) MAD is a great jumping off point for the rest of spain. BCN, south of spain, san sebastian and the north are all either easy train rides, drives or even short flights away.

7) Lastly, where to stay - Airbnb would be my recommendation but if you want to stay at a hotel, Westin Palace is great and up one more notch is Villa Magna.

Last edited:

GetawaysRus

Level 2 Member
I agree that Toledo is an excellent day trip from Madrid (by train).

We also took an enjoyable day trip (by train) to Segovia.

Both trips required some advance planning, but were well worth it.

We stayed at the Westin Palace (on points). This was across the street from the Prado and Retiro Park and only a short walk to one of the main train stations.

Our Spain trip (a number of years ago) was 3 weeks. 5 nights in Madrid, then a week in the Costa del Sol, then a driving loop through Seville, Cordoba, and Granada. We enjoyed Spain so much that we took another trip a few years later to include Portugal (Lisbon and Porto) and then a driving loop through a number of cities in northern Spain.