Suggestions for AA Award with misconnect

AZTravelGuy

Level 2 Member
Have HND-SFO-PHX ticketed. Obviously JL and US. JL2 27 Sep, arrives SFO 26 Sep.
The US flight had a schedule change, or rather the flight disappeared entirely, was moved to the earlier flight causing misconnect. No flights exist for SFO-PHX after the JL2 arrival on this day now.

I can take the overnight connection in SFO if I must. Would much rather stay in Tokyo another day or two. However, there's no JL space left (need 2) anywhere else since big name bloggers told everyone about the wide open space.

I've booked countless awards but not a great deal of them have been with AA - and none of them have had drastic schedule changes. So anyone got any advice or suggestions?

EDIT: I am considering canceling it if I can find a *A routing that I like. Problem is there's just no "affordable" method to get *A F.

Last edited:

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
What class of service have you booked?

AA have the ability to force seats on their metal. Whether they want to or not is another matter. It's worth a phone call. Go in knowing what schedule you'd like. For example, on Sept 27 and 28, there is a NRT-LAX flight connecting to a LAX-PHX flight same day. There's also a connection via DFW to PHX.

I'm pessimistic that AA would be willing to try to force seats on JAL. If it is your desire to fly JAL, you might be forced to take what has been offered.

AZTravelGuy

Level 2 Member
F. See, that's the thing. I'm not thrilled about swapping JL F for AA F.

Nothing has been offered, exactly. JL2 arrives 17:45, the connecting US454 flight departs at 16:53. So, you can see the problem. Also, the only way I know this is because that's what I see on JAL.com - I can no longer pull up the details on AA or US websites since the original US2014 is gone.

I'd kill to have them just stick in me in UA F on the 26th! I know it's a Saturday night but still annoying they pulled the flight when UA and WN are (for the moment) keeping their flights on Saturday night.

Unfortunately, an overnight in SFO isn't ideal either. It's either the 6am flight or a late afternoon flight on the 27th, since there are no other US/AA flights, period. And, well, that's my birthday. :)

Last edited:

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
There is a late night AA flight from SFO to PHX other days of the week, but that is of no help to you. There appears to be a UA flight from SFO-PHX that leaves at 8:10pm. I know that wouldn't be covered by your award ticket, but it is a possibility.

I'd still leave the AA ticket to PHX as backup, just in case you misconnect to the UA flight.

AZTravelGuy

Level 2 Member
Yea, I saw the late night flight isn't gone, just on my day of travel. We'd all love to be in revenue management meetings to understand how they decide what they do. I get Saturday night isn't exactly high yield... but come on.

Well I'll have to call and get placed on some SFO-PHX flight I can actually make. On the 27th, obviously. And I'll probably book the UA flight. Centurion lounge over there, at least. Means paying to check a bag too (I have specific plans to buy old school Nintendo systems again!), but I'll live.

Though maybe with a little luck the schedule will change again. And also, I wish I could set ExpertFlyer alerts for JL. Argh!

AZTravelGuy

Level 2 Member
Actually... I seem to have WN points I'd forgotten about. Enough to cover almost two tickets. Just two thousand UR points will give me enough for SFO-PHX.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
JL66 NRT-SAN has 2 seats (actually 3) in business class 9/26, 17:25-11:45. No F cabin on that 787. Continue on US486 16:15-17:33

You'd lose F but keep JL and get some miles back.

AZTravelGuy

Level 2 Member
JL66 NRT-SAN has 2 seats (actually 3) in business class 9/26, 17:25-11:45. No F cabin on that 787. Continue on US486 16:15-17:33

You'd lose F but keep JL and get some miles back.
I know. I gave that very flight up when F opened up everywhere. :) It's an old J product. Not that I'm a hoity toity "won't set foot in less than a 4 star hotel" blogger.. But when the girlfriend is with me, I try to spoil.

I suppose really I'll just leave the misconnect for now, use WN points, and hope either the late US flight returns or JL F opens again on another date/route.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I had AA flight in F booked which was canceled in April when AA started pulling its schedule together with US. Would have meant a 6 hour layover. No Saver space on earlier flight. I called once, was told too bad, no way to appeal. Called again and agent said she would see what she could do. She sent it off for review and next day, new tix for earlier flight were issued.

As for non-AA metal, that's tougher since you need an AA agent willing to work on it, plus someone behind the curtain at the partner airline who can and will help. I was stuck in a similar bind two years ago on an AA award for and IB flight. IB never answered AAs request to rebook space which IB had canceled in error. Took a week of AA sending requests to IB (IB never answered). In the end, AA just opened space on one of its flights.

AFAIK, you have no rights to get what you want here, so a heavy hand will work against your interest. An attitude of being in a bind and needing some help can go a long way with the right agent.

AZTravelGuy

Level 2 Member
I know. I was just hoping someone might have had a story about good luck with partner award space when AA made the schedule change.