Stopovers Singapore to and from South Africa

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
For reasons known only to myself, I booked QR Business JFK-DOH-SIN and return with the flights being a month apart.

We go to Singapore often and enjoy it. My wife particularly likes the hotel at which we always stay.

Our main trip will be 21 days in South Africa. I can easily get to CPT and back from JNB to SIN on SQ but was thinking that, with four days on each end I might like to go somewhere new. Problem is that I can get to Maldives on the way out but then can't get to South Africa.

Maybe Mauritius? Thinking of Sri Lanka but no non stops from South Africa.

Any ideas?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I have a SA trip in September that many folks here chimed in to help me with. We fly into CPT and out from JNB. In between we'll have several days in CPT then off to Kruger for a safari experience. We also plan to visit Victoria Falls and do some kind of "different" safari in Chobe NP in Botswana. If you are looking to do something with a totally different feel, then you are on the right path (Mauritius was a possibility on my first SA wish list but it didn't fit for us - we don't have quite as many days as you do!). However, there are lots of places around SA that could be interesting! Madagascar? Mozambique? Namibia? Victoria Falls.

Are you looking specifically for things you can reach via award travel?

Edit: Sorry, I see. You are thinking, literally, "stop over" as part of a single flight itinerary. I got all excited ... none of my suggestions will fit that well. Certainly not Victoria Falls ... but who knows?

Last edited:

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Not really stopover, just go from SIN-somewhere and coming back go from JNB to somewhere. I can get from SIN to MLE but not to South Africa from there. Maybe Mauritius? No not one itinerary. I already have JFK-DOH-SIN and return. I have like 4 days after SIN before I have to be in CPOT and the same after JNB to be back in SAIN for the flight home.

I may just have to hang out in Singapore which isn't the worst thing at the Mandarin Oriental.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Doesn't have to be award travel though I( should some time stop amassing points/miles and spend them. We have enough $ for whatever but I can't take 18+ hours to get from A to B thanks.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
I can't take 18+ hours to get from A to B
Based on this, it seems you want a destination that you can fly non-stop both from SIN and to SA?

If so, this is what I find:
non-stops to both SIN and CPT:
Doha, Dubai, Istanbul, Munich, Frankfurt, London, Amsterdam

non-stop to both SIN and JNB:
Jeddah, Doha, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Hong Kong, Perth, Istanbul, Frankfurt, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Mauritius

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Thanks. I really need someplace in between SIN and CPT/JNB. So far I think Mauritius is about the only one that fits. Thought perhaps Maldives or Sri Lanka but don't seem to work. Maybe we will just spend our extra days in SIN as we love our hotel there and can always find something to do.

The other places are way too far away as I only have 3-4 days in between so can't have a 2 day trip.