Stays at SPG Luxury Collection in Cusco and Urubamba, Peru

Suzie

Level 2 Member
We recently returned from a great trip to Peru where we used SPG points to spend 2 nights in Urubamba and 3 nights in Cusco. Yes, I know, we could have used the 5th night free, but given the itinerary we had planned and the distance between the two cities, we decided to spend the extra points.

A couple of folks have asked me to compare the two, so I'll give it a whirl.

First off, they are completely different in design and style. Uru is a newer, modern facility and the setting is quite beautiful. It's hard not to be beautiful in the Sacred Valley. The location is great for catching the train to MP, about a 5 minute walk. A hotel staff member led us to the train station and met the train on our return to accompany us back to the hotel.

We were acknowledged as Gold members when we arrived and they upgraded our room. While we did not get a river view, we had a room with a living room area and an outdoor patio with patio furniture on the lawn level. We were able to do some great stargazing and were able to finally clearly see the Southern Cross along with Saturn, Pluto and Mars.

The room was big, modern. Beautiful bath with separate shower and soaking tub. After hiking MP, it was heaven to soak in that tub.

There was a beautiful indoor pool and spa area that sadly we didn't use. We both were suffering from the Peruvian 2 step from our stay in Iquitos and the following day we spent at MP.

They offered us a discount at the restaurant and the morning we were leaving, we opted for the breakfast buffet. It was a disappointment. There was a very large selection of food, but the breads and rolls were dry and stale, they ran out of eggs and took quite a while to replenish.

Other than the buffet, I would rate our experience as quite high and would stay again.

The Palacio del Inka in Cusco. Wow. I just can't say enough how wonderful this stay was. It took us quite a awhile to get to the hotel as several of the streets around the square were closed to car traffic due to the celebrations. It turns out that June is the anniversary of Cusco and they celebrate for an entire month. There was an almost constant parade and dancing. Lots of fun. As the hotel is two blocks from the square, we were able to enjoy the parades several times.

We had spent the entire day sightseeing from Urubamba to Cusco - climbing even more Inka ruins and I was looking forward to a soaking tub - again! I had let the hotel know it was our anniversary when I booked the room. In our room at arrival was a small red heart shaped cake with Happy Anniversary message. Very nice. As the bellman was bringing in our bags, I checked out the bathroom, no tub. I normally don't take baths in hotels rooms, but I don't normally climb a mountain of steps. I asked if there were any rooms with bathtubs, which doesn't literally translate into Spanish I found out. But sign language seemed to help me out. He told us he would check and would be right back. He took us to another room - a one bedroom suite - separate living room, two large screen tv's, view of the city - and a jet tub the size of a 4 person jacuzzi. Yes, thank you, we'll take this! My husband (who would stay at a luxury hotel just to get his shoes shined) called down for the shoe service. Great - now to fill that tub. We had just settled into a really hot tub when the phone rang. So I reached out of the tub and answered. The front desk - "Michael has your shoes ready." Okay, can we call for them? "He's standing at your door" Ummm, it's really not convenient right now we're in the tub. Lots of flustered noises and a quick apology. We're too old to be embarrassed!

Neither of us wanted the cake that night, so we left it untouched. The next day we were out bright and early and returned to NO cake. DH calls down to the front desk. Again the flustered noises and apology. Turns out the maid threw it away. So they brought us another cake AND a bottle of wine.

The building was beautiful, very nice lobby where we had tea each afternoon and an inviting courtyard. The location is ideal for walking, and the doorman took care of finding us a taxi when we wanted to tour outside Cusco.

The staff went above and beyond. The building was stunning. Our room was very large and clean. More towels than we could use. We had breakfast one morning and ordered off the menu. It was excellent and not overly priced.

Is anyone still reading at this point? I need to learn to give "just the facts, ma'am."

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Love it! Anyone can give the facts but the rest makes it more fun reading--getting caught in the tub, your cake being thrown away...:)

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Great review! I've noticed these two hotels and am hoping to sample them in the next few years. Your review was excellent!

Badassity

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the great review Susie.

We're visiting Manchu Picchu and Peru in general in January 2018 as part of our year of travel. I had my eye on those two properties. Though I was planning to add the Inca Trail into our plans. I'm not committed though because the nine year old boy often complains when we walk about too much on vacations.

Can you go into more detail about your hike? Five minute walk to the train. How long did you hike? Did you consider a longer Trail hike? Any regrets?

It sounded like you rented a car? Or was it a taxi trying to get through traffic?

Looking forward to more info! TIA...

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the great review Susie.

We're visiting Manchu Picchu and Peru in general in January 2018 as part of our year of travel. I had my eye on those two properties. Though I was planning to add the Inca Trail into our plans. I'm not committed though because the nine year old boy often complains when we walk about too much on vacations.

Can you go into more detail about your hike? Five minute walk to the train. How long did you hike? Did you consider a longer Trail hike? Any regrets?

It sounded like you rented a car? Or was it a taxi trying to get through traffic?

Looking forward to more info! TIA...
We did not do the Inca Trail. I believe they suggest a week to get acclimated to the altitude before doing the hike. Since we did not hike it, I can't really comment. No regrets as we were not interested in investing that much time in the trip.

The 5 minute walk from the hotel to the train station is easy, on paved path. The downside to going to AC via the train from the hotel is that you arrive too late for the sunrise. If you are interested in the sunrise, it is better to spend the night before in AC.

We did not rent a car. The only way into Iquitos is by plane, and we hired a driver for days trips for the rest. We used a driver through a company that was considerably less expensive than the concierge at the hotel. HT to @knick1959 for giving me their contact info. AND for suggesting we buy our tickets to MP EARLY! If you would like their info, I can look in my notes for you.

@knick1959 has a wonderful trip report!