Starting Out with MS

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Matt submitted a new resource:

Starting Out with MS - New Hobbies can be consuming, make sure you aren't pushing too hard.

When people start out with Travel Hacking and Manufactured Spending they can get too involved too quickly. As you begin, it is important to take slow and steady steps. I understand that this is a challenge when everything seems so exciting, but you really need to be careful you don't lose site of your limits, and that you are enjoying the hobby.

I also find that many people don't know what the next guy is doing, but they assume it to be vast amounts, and want to 'keep up'. This can become...
Read more about this resource...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Great concept! A "point of beginning"!
Had you considered a "lexicon of abbreviations" for the codespeak
so to speak? :)
Maybe.. but it's a little different of an idea. The lexicon is more akin to spoonfeeding beginners so they can communicate internally more effectively. That has some value to keeping the forum operating smoothly, but at the same time, it can put a veneer of expertise onto them. Sometimes having to learn the hard way is better.

The idea behind the bootcamp is that we don't want the 'hard way' to be learned at the risk of a gig. So we give people basic concepts before they let rip with a $250K monthly Redbird churn.

Basically, I am not totally against a lexicon, but it isn't high on my list to create.

AlohaDaveKennedy

Level 2 Member
Part of going slow is to always do proof of concept (POC) tests. Never wade into the deep end without testing the water first. Some cards may charge cash advance fees, some stores in a chain will act differently than other stores, some variants of a card product (like BUXX) will act differently than other variants, some customer service representatives (CSRs) will tell you one thing and some CSRs will tell you another thing, some credit card terms and conditions will be outlined and enforced and other terms and conditions will be outlined and never enforced. Testing is important.

The going slow part is soooooo important, I knew it but had to hear it again! There's so much info out there its hard NOT to get excited,,,,,thanks for reminding us! This forum is exactly what I need as a newbie!

loves2fly

Gold Member
Discretion can make or break a gig for someone that's why we often read people saying, "don't sh** where you eat". Another thing to always remember is YMMV is the silent ruler in this game; it doesn't always mean that if something works for others, it will surely work for me and vice-versa. as ADK stated, it is best to test it out and that requires time and effort.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
And retesting. What worked last week or yesterday, may not work today or next week. I literally never make any assumptions.
Excellent point!!!

I haven't bought a MO from my local grocery store since Christmas. I have 1 OV to liquidate. Though I was at RA this morning picking up a prescription (yes, a real one), I didn't buy any OV's because I wanted to ensure the grocery store still let you buy MO's with "debit cards."

Andres

Level 2 Member
I agree with all the comments. The way to learn is to go slow, and ramp up as you learn the trade. Don't jump full speed at the beginning. With time, you will learn what are the risks of the game, and you will learn how to minimize them. While this is a good starting point, nobody here can teach you all about the game. The devil is on the details, and those you only learn with experience.

Firesong23

Level 2 Member
These are terrific resources. I must be reading all the right advice, because as soon as I saw the link for "When to call in" I thought "NEVER!!!" before even clicking the link.

Reading and learning is a constant in this game, I have been able to avoid a lot of the frustration people have when starting out by going slow and learning as I go.

athenakt

Testing is also a matter of seeing what you're comfortable with. As mentioned in the resources, don't use more than what you're comfortable with in an effort to gain bragging rights. Bragging rights won't pay your bills if something keeps you from liquidating your investment. ;)

I've been going quite some time at a slow pace compared to others and I'm quite happy with it. I get a little extra money to play with, and I don't get stressed over the process!

Tricia

Level 2 Member
Keeping it all in perspective is important. I can get caught up in the process and feel overwhelmed. I try to remember my goal and realize that every deal out there is not necessarily for me. Thanks for the reassurance.

Dwater

Level 2 Member
I think if you assume that nothing lasts forever you won't be too disappointed when it doesn't!

Its always good to have multiple outlets in case one source goes down.

Fran

Thank you! The information about the float is critical, and often missing from other ms hacking blogs that I've read.

fidelity

This is a thoughtful post. I appreciate the part about going slow, learning, and testing the waters before diving in too deep. Thanks!

CCTWW3

Level 2 Member
Good points in this, especially starting with earning points via MS and then migrating to cash back. I enjoy earning a tiny bit of cash back via reselling, but if one goes into MS-ing with $ as the primary goal, it will end in frustration (or simply pushing the limits too hard).

Phantom707

Gold Member
I have no other place to put this note. As such, delete it if it does not belong here.

I went to Sears today in the hopes of using my Discover card for the bonus category by purchasing gift cards. Unfortunately, all of the associates stated that the system would no longer allow credit, that it was cash only after a recent system update. They were very adamant about it, and I was unable to even get the to allow me to test it. I thought that I should inform the public about this possible recent development, which, in honesty, may be nothing.

Being mobile means I can't even properly make emphasis and text sounds, especially around no other place, inform the public, and nothing.

I thought that this may be an okay place to put this as a reminder that the world of MS changes.

kathynokes

Level 2 Member
I have enjoyed several trips with family just by points on regular spend. Our business generates quite a bit of spend on its own. Have a dream trip in the plan, so if I can earn more points, maybe make a few $, that would be great. Slow and steady she goes.

Jung Lee

The idea behind the bootcamp is that we don't want the 'hard way' to be learned at the risk of a gig. So we give people basic concepts before they let rip with a $250K monthly Redbird churn.
250K RB Churn?!? wow, thought i was doing well with 30K RB monthly. My interest is very piqued.

AGtravel

Level 2 Member
Loved the thoughts presented in the article. Its all about having fun and the "process" or the way to do it matters. Started with this hobby a few months back, so pretty new to the game - it has been awesome journey so far. Its been a pleasure to meet/chat/connect through this hobby.

steven li

Great advice. Also beaware of your environment. If you are in an urban middle income area where population is internet savy alot of ms resource may already tabed or tabbed out. But if you are near rural low income area. You probably able to let it rip without much consequences

Spgbus

Level 2 Member
Bought 7 cards at Sears yesterday using Discover. It's not hard coded. It's always worth trying again!
I haven't seen any Sears not accepting CC to purchase GC. However, some stores had their registers hard coded to prevent you from buying VGC with Sears GC.

Milestogo

I have opened several credit cards and enjoyed the sign up bonuses but I do not close and "churn cards". I believe in a slow, steady and focused approach. I mix points and miles bonus spending opportunities with cash back deals. I make lots of mistakes and use them to learn. Still, I am quite pleased with what I have accomplished. As the economy improves, the credit card companies seem to be tightening up and closing loopholes that gave us easy opportunities to earn points/miles so it takes more effort. I use gift card purchases when I know I can easily liquidate and/or use the cards. I think the most important thing to learn with this hobby is balance. I also like the idea of setting a goal by planning a specific trip so that I concentrate on opportunities that allow me to complete my goal.

anng

Matt, I love reading all about this stuff, although I don't usually try to post. Thanks for organizing this - it's helpful information.

MarylandMike

Maybe.. but it's a little different of an idea. The lexicon is more akin to spoonfeeding beginners so they can communicate internally more effectively. That has some value to keeping the forum operating smoothly, but at the same time, it can put a veneer of expertise onto them. Sometimes having to learn the hard way is better.

Basically, I am not totally against a lexicon, but it isn't high on my list to create.
Hi Matt, I've been lightly MSing for three years and doing AORs for four. I read to start a conversation with you down here to learn more about Level 2 access. I understand the point system earns access?