Staples Reward Card Expired

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
$132 expired on 8/31. I've tried calling the numbers I find on line to talk to a human about getting a new card issued since I don't really feel like throwing away $132. Anyone have any luck getting one reissued and how did you get a hold of someone?

EDIT: Found a number and they reissued the visa card for the full amount.

Last edited:

DanT

Level 2 Member
This is the only post that I found on the subject. I also stupidly let one of my $20 Staples reward cards expire in October(Threw it in the drawer with intention to use it and forgot about it. Lesson learned!). So they deducted $3 from the card but I cant use it because it expired. I know I can call for a new one but....

I thought that federal law requires that maintenance fees not be charged for at least 1 year after issue and that gift cards not expire for at least 5 years yet their cards start charging after 6 month. Isn't staples in violation of the law/regulation? There is probably some loophole they have exploited but does anyone know?

cav

Level 2 Member
I thought that federal law requires that maintenance fees not be charged for at least 1 year after issue and that gift cards not expire for at least 5 years yet their cards start charging after 6 month. Isn't staples in violation of the law/regulation? There is probably some loophole they have exploited but does anyone know?
Rebate cards are different from prepaid or gift cards, and don't really get any of the CARD act protections since you are getting the rebate card for "free".

12th Man

You can always go buy something for the value of your gift cards, then return it. When you get the replacement card, they put the total value of your cards you used onto one store card. I am not sure if it expires. The replacement card is different than the original rebate card.