SQ Waitlist Help?

Kevin Lu

Level 2 Member
I'm going to be in Europe for the summer and have currently waitlisted myself for the first class suites on the FRA-JFK route. I've booked an economy flight for the same flight as insurance. This is potentially my first big redemption since I just graduated and am just getting into the points game. I know it's a pretty popular route especially during the summer, but I checked the seat map on expertflyer, and there's only one seat taken in the entire first class cabin. It's also a Tuesday flight so I feel like it's not going to fill up any time soon. Any one have any tips in trying to get off the waitlist, ie. when to call them about it?

HariOm

Transcendent Level
With SQ waitlist, I've had a couple successes when calling 3-4 days after booking the waitlist, and at that time during the callback, being very nice and asking them whether it looks like the waitlist might clear, and whether they could please send an email chaser to the booking dept. Again, being over-the-top courteous and friendly. Then if it hasn't cleared I follow up a couple weeks later. (Some on FT have suggested that it can be more effective to call the SQ office in Singapore; I've only called in USA.)

Kevin Lu

Level 2 Member
With SQ waitlist, I've had a couple successes when calling 3-4 days after booking the waitlist, and at that time during the callback, being very nice and asking them whether it looks like the waitlist might clear, and whether they could please send an email chaser to the booking dept. Again, being over-the-top courteous and friendly. Then if it hasn't cleared I follow up a couple weeks later. (Some on FT have suggested that it can be more effective to call the SQ office in Singapore; I've only called in USA.)
Thanks for the advice! I called the Singapore office. The guy said there's some confirmed bookings, and it's too early to guarantee anything for the waitlist, but he would send an email to booking department. Told me if nothing happens then to call around 3-4 days before departure. Hopefully it works out.

Kevin Lu

Level 2 Member
If anyone is curious how this turned out, I called multiple times and each time they said they would send a chaser email. A couple days ago I found first class saver space available for a flight 4 days later. I decided to extend my stay in Europe for a few more days, even though they told me now that I had a first class space already confirmed it would have been easier to get off the waitlist. Excited to try out one of the best first class seats in the world!

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Congratulations. Question about what this means:

...I decided to extend my stay in Europe for a few more days, even though they told me now that I had a first class space already confirmed it would have been easier to get off the waitlist.
Does this mean that they said it would be easy to get off the original waitlist because you had a confirmed booking for four days later?

Kevin Lu

Level 2 Member
Yeah since I already had a confirmed booking 4 days after they said it would have been pretty easy to get off the waitlist. Also I called the Singapore office each time.