Spouse with Diamond status

Abbas17

Level 2 Member
My wife has obtained Diamond status through her work. I am traveling alone for a project and plan to stay at a Hyatt. Can she book the hotel in her name (+1 guest) and I show up instead and take advantage of her perks?

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
My wife has obtained Diamond status through her work. I am traveling alone for a project and plan to stay at a Hyatt. Can she book the hotel in her name (+1 guest) and I show up instead and take advantage of her perks?
From my understanding you can do that. She should call the hotel and let them know you are checking in before her. Disclaimer: I've never done it.

cubsfan23

Level 2 Member
It has worked, but YMMV of course, each hotel/FD may act differently.

Have her book it, add your name to the reservation. Have her call the hotel on the day of and let them know that you will be arriving ahead of her and to go ahead and let you check in since your name is added to the reservation. You should be fine.

goofypluto

Level 2 Member
I'd love to know this too. My bf will be diamond and I would like to use his status to book a hotel for me. I know it's YMMV, but is this easier to do in US hyatts? What about international hyatts?

toptravelista

I do this all the time. My husband is diamond and I book the room under his account so he can get the 25 stays required for diamond. I call ahead and put my name on as secondary telling them I will arrive before him because he is at a conference. It has never been a problem for me.

tmount

Administrator
Agreed - Its definitely a YMMV, but I've been able to do this with other hotel chains for family (with same last name, as well as my mother in law). Its all about how you make the reservation.

pointsaholic

Level 2 Member
It definitely can work. I completed my entire diamond challenge using my kid's stays. I booked the stays using pts and cash and I paid the pts - kids paid the cash. I added their name to reservation. No problems although as always ymmv.

vike

Level 2 Member
Have the diamond member make the booking, and later add the sig other to the reservation so that he/she can also check-in. This is tricky when done internationally, since often they want passports for everyone registered for the room, but perhaps can be finessed with saying the other person is arriving on a different flight and will be checking in later. As others have mentioned, it may not work.

Last edited:

Jamie

Level 2 Member
I've never heard of anyone for whom this didn't work. Anyone out there ever had trouble? Anyone ever been completely blocked from getting into the room as a registered addl guest?

smittytabb

Staff member
I've never heard of anyone for whom this didn't work. Anyone out there ever had trouble? Anyone ever been completely blocked from getting into the room as a registered addl guest?
No, but here is something that I did experience. I am the Diamond. My husband was checking into the room a day earlier than me and I was joining him the next night. I called Hyatt to let them know that even though the reservation was in my name, that he was checking in first and to please let him do so. No problem there. The next night I joined him and didn't bother to check in for obvious reasons. I just met him in the lobby and went up to the room. So on the day we checked out, I checked out in person and gave them my credit card, etc. So a few days later the stay posted to my husband's account. I called Hyatt to ask why this had happened and they told me that I had never checked in, so they credited it to the person who did. After explaining everything, they eventually did credit the stay and points back to me. So, as a rule, I now just don't bother to call anymore to flag it and if my husband is the one checking in I have never had a problem since.

niehlin2

Level 2 Member
I booked with points for my husband and daughters for a 5-night stay at the Grand Hyatt Taipei. I mentioned my husband will check in and asked to put his name on the reservation. They got a suite upgrade and diamond perks.

tkky

Level 2 Member
This is why I like this forum. On FT, we'd get some sanctimonious a-hole telling us that Diamond status is something that must be earned.

smittytabb

Staff member
I booked with points for my husband and daughters for a 5-night stay at the Grand Hyatt Taipei. I mentioned my husband will check in and asked to put his name on the reservation. They got a suite upgrade and diamond perks.
I love that property. Just moved up a category. Great lounge.