SPG Platinum

swknutson

Level 2 Member
I am 5 nights away from getting SPG plat for next year. I have the points and can get the nights for 3000 points a night. Just trying to see if anybody thinks this is worthwhile. Will most likely have around 20 nights at SPG next year

Thanks

KyRoamer

Level 2 Member
Do it. No question that for me it would be worth 15,000 points. Dividing them by next years 20 stays that is 750 points per stay for upgraded rooms, suites, bonuses, etc.

Now the catch is you cannot just say take points, you have to stay the nights. Hopefully that is not too much of a burden.

MilesAddict

Level 2 Member
Plus you get the welcome amenity points back, so your net cost is less than 15,000 points. If I knew that there were 20 stays next year where I would get club access and upgrades, I would definitely spend the points to keep my status.

carlos

Level 2 Member
what is the policy for SPG to give access to their members, do you need to be platinum? I know for Hilton and Marriott access to lounge is at Gold (mid level)

MilesAddict

Level 2 Member
Don't you also get the 5th night free on award stays?
Fifth night free is for Category 3-6 only. I think @swknutson may actually need 5 stays, not 5 nights. But since he has access to a Cat 1 or Cat 2 (Weekend) @ 3,000 per night -- that would be less points than a fifth night free at a Cat 3 (28,000 points).

If @swknutson is near a Cat 1 - weekend nights are only 2,000 per night so there could be some savings there.

what is the policy for SPG to give access to their members, do you need to be platinum? I know for Hilton and Marriott access to lounge is at Gold (mid level)
Club lounge access is an official benefit only for Plats. Golds get an "Enhanced room at check-in" which might include a club room, but it isn't guaranteed.

carlos

Level 2 Member
@MilesAddict thank for the response, my thinking of the benefit was correct, I love SPG because of their lower redemption cost when doing MS, however, lounge access is something I value a lot so I only use SPG points for hotel redemption when I can't find a Hilton or Marriott property

swknutson

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the responses. I have 2 cat 2's an hour away. One is right next to the SM. Have got 3 rooms booked for tomorrow to take the kids on a night out, do some ms at the mall and crank out 3 of my nights

MilesAddict

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the responses. I have 2 cat 2's an hour away. One is right next to the SM. Have got 3 rooms booked for tomorrow to take the kids on a night out, do some ms at the mall and crank out 3 of my nights
and yes it is stays I'm trying to get too
Good luck. It's nice to be able to knock out 3 stays in one night!

I just reviewed my elite status status for 2014. Happy to say that I have locked in SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, and MR Platinum. Happy not to need to do any last minute mattress running this year.