SPG or Fidelity 2%/Arrival 2% for daily spend?

fulthrust7

Level 2 Member
So, what are folks doing? I always use my SPG for the daily noncategorical spend, but got to thinking lately, and applied for the fidelity 2%. (The arrival is comparable in my eyes to the fidelity. You get the 10% back in pts, but it is also limited to travel only, so it breaks even in my book).

I am thinking about diverting my daily spend to the fidelity amex. I know it's simple--if you value SPG at >2cpp, SPG is the way to go. I would say I value it right around 2cpm. Further, I have about 250K SPG racked up that I had planned on using for a EY redemption on JAL, but then they started charging fuel surcharges. There's still great value but w all the AA miles, UR miles, and pockets of other currencies I have, I don't think I have a current great use for SPG. I had always treated SPG as my gold mine/treasure box, which I didn't want to touch...call it hoarding if you want. I am having some separation anxiety switching to fidelity 2%, so we will see how this lasts.

I also feel like the SPG takes FOREVER to get anywhere ( I hardly stay at SPG for paid stays). A lot of my accumulations have been though signup bonuses and AGC purchases.

Thoughts/opinions/discussion? What do you guys prefer--2% CB/Boost or SPG for noncategorical daily spend?

Bryan

Level 2 Member
I've moved just about all non bonus spend to Fidelity card the past 6 months or so. I have more points/miles than I have time to spend in the near future so I'd rather have the cash back at this point. Using the Fidelity card with the different portals for Amex GCs provides a nice 5-6% cash back every month.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I have all 3 cards. I personally use the Fidelity Amex for all non bonus spend, the SPG with one of my AP accounts and very rarely touch the Arrival card.

Rick

Level 2 Member
I am moving to a higher percentage of cashback in my spending. I use Fidelity Visa, as I can also fund my TD Buxx accounts with it. Over time, it more than makes up for the 1.5 CB on the first 15k. I'll probably get the Amex as well in my next app.

pstlb

Level 2 Member
Fidelity 2% AmEx wins in my book. I have all 3 also, but find the Fidelity more valuable in almost every instance. 2% cash back to spend, or save, beats gives you far more options than the Arrival or SPG. But strategically, all 3 have their benefits. Another card you might consider is (heaven forbid I mention this) Capitol 1 Venture - 2% on all spend applied against any travel. Not quite as good as the Arrival at 2.2%, but my sign up bonus was 50k pts and credit can be applied to those small charges that are under $25.

Anh

Level 2 Member
Fidelity 2% AmEx wins in my book. I have all 3 also, but find the Fidelity more valuable in almost every instance. 2% cash back to spend, or save, beats gives you far more options than the Arrival or SPG. But strategically, all 3 have their benefits. Another card you might consider is (heaven forbid I mention this) Capitol 1 Venture - 2% on all spend applied against any travel. Not quite as good as the Arrival at 2.2%, but my sign up bonus was 50k pts and credit can be applied to those small charges that are under $25.
The Capital One isn't bad, but I have always hated Capital One for always pulling three bureaus so I've always avoid them.
Back on topic, I think everybody should set their target SPG balance at some point (whether enough for x number of trips, or enough for y number of years) and after that should just collect cash. Cash over years will earn interests, SPG points can only lose value.

I like the Fidelity by all analysis, but my wife doesn't because she does not want to carry more than a couple cards in her wallet and if she has a cashback Visa/MC that will be the only card she needs to carry. If she carries an Amex she will need to carry an extra Visa/MC just in case places don't accept Amex.

Rick

Level 2 Member
For those with some history with FIA, I would be interested to learn how aggressive you can be with MS. I'm trying to find info on shutdown reports or warnings.

In general, I like to get a sense of how my banker "thinks".

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
For those with some history with FIA, I would be interested to learn how aggressive you can be with MS. I'm trying to find info on shutdown reports or warnings.

In general, I like to get a sense of how my banker "thinks".
I have found no issues with MSing on this card - I don't love their platfrom (online or phone support) but they haven't stopped me... yet...

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
Is It really that good for MS? The CB is low so you almost always need to portal compared to say Blue Cash where it's simple 5% cb.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
Is It really that good for MS? The CB is low so you almost always need to portal compared to say Blue Cash where it's simple 5% cb.
I am planning to use this card to buy Amex GC's (through portal where I earn 4%) and then liquidate through three (possibly four) AFT accounts. I have a couple blues at my disposal as well and will be using them for gc purchases at drug and grocery stores which will be liquidated through MO's. I have 25K cl between my two Fido Amex cards and 35K with the Amex Blues. Everything could be done with the blues but I want to spread it around a bit. I think the step of getting AGC is worth it for me.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
I have found no issues with MSing on this card - I don't love their platfrom (online or phone support) but they haven't stopped me... yet...
Mind sharing some of the ways you MS on this card? I am looking at purchasing Amex GC's through a high percentage portal and then liquidating. Also, it appears you can buy Amex TC's ($5000 a month per individual). Not sure how banks would feel about accepting $5k of TC's (or more) every month but it is a very quick way to turn that money around. Any other methods you feel like sharing?

Rick

Level 2 Member
It depends how you structure your operation. I have both. Of course, BC is king at 5%, but only for its stated categories. 1% everywhere else. You also don't want to waste the power of the BC on portal spending.

And there are things, like funding Buxx cards, that you cannot do with AmEx. Used In combination, the cards can be powerful, and will extend your spending.

Last edited:

fulthrust7

Level 2 Member
I am planning to use this card to buy Amex GC's (through portal where I earn 4%) and then liquidate through three (possibly four) AFT accounts. I have a couple blues at my disposal as well and will be using them for gc purchases at drug and grocery stores which will be liquidated through MO's. I have 25K cl between my two Fido Amex cards and 35K with the Amex Blues. Everything could be done with the blues but I want to spread it around a bit. I think the step of getting AGC is worth it for me.
What are AFT accounts?

rameninabowl

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if authorized users on the Fidelity AmEx get a new card number, or is it the same as the primary user?

torcen

Level 2 Member
Confirming that Fidelity AU have the same card number. If you're using it to load Amex Serve on multiple accounts, however, you can do it using a trick. Just delete the card after loading, then add it to the next account. You'll have to go through Amex Account Security the first time you use the card on an account, but after that, it won't ask you again even if you delete the card.

By the way, as an aside, the Fidelity Amex gets more than 2% since you get BofA Worldpoints, that can be redeemed for more than 1 cent/point through their Premium Air Awards.

BenT

Level 2 Member
Confirming that Fidelity AU have the same card number. If you're using it to load Amex Serve on multiple accounts, however, you can do it using a trick. Just delete the card after loading, then add it to the next account. You'll have to go through Amex Account Security the first time you use the card on an account, but after that, it won't ask you again even if you delete the card.

By the way, as an aside, the Fidelity Amex gets more than 2% since you get BofA Worldpoints, that can be redeemed for more than 1 cent/point through their Premium Air Awards.
Question - Do you have to repeat this process (in red above) for each daily load?

BenT

Level 2 Member
No. Load one Serve over five days, delete, add to other Serve and load.
Thanks! So it is something that has to be rinsed & repeated monthly though for each account (minus the account protection screening), correct? And lastly, can one use the secure upload link to share the AU's card and avoid a phone call? Thanks again!

torcen

Level 2 Member
They actually updated Serve in the past couple months so you can just add the same card number across multiple Serve accounts.

Allen Chung

Level 2 Member
And now the 2% Fidelity card is no longer available. I wonder if it will affect the 2% Mastercard I wrote about here: https://saverocity.com/forum/resources/fidelity-investments-529-college-2-cashback-mastercard.17/

Since I no longer have it; I wonder what will happen... that card I believe had rewards actually paid by Fidelity (not entirely sure, it used/uses a different point system).
I'm sure you know by now, but all users that were Amex Fidelity 2% are going to be migrated to Visa Fidelity 2% by the middle of the year.