Speculative award bookings

sriki

Level 2 Member
<POTENTIAL THREAD HIJACK>

I know some people hate speculative bookings. I sometimes blame that when I don't find inventory I need. However, I consider speculative bookings are an essential tool and in fact the sound and right strategy in making many travel plans.

For someone trying to travel with minimal cash cost, i.e. both flights and hotels being paid for by miles and point respectively, I would venture a guess that their travel plans center around the flight (I could be not 100% correct). My reasoning behind it being flight inventory (premier levels) is scarce and changes after ticketing involves costs that people try to avoid. Booking award tickets is a beast of its own kind when involving multi-destinations. It's rare for anyone to start and finish booking such ticket in one go. There could be that one perfect itinerary you want, but, in most cases, there needs to be some compromise either with the dates or with the places or with the airlines. While sorting this out (eg: discussing with travel companion or getting work stuff lined up), I believe it's prudent to book hotels based on the compromise. Sometimes, it's just one set of hotel bookings. Others, it might be more than 1. This more than 1 set of bookings is technically speculative booking, but, I cannot blame anyone for doing it as they are planning their trip with some unknowns and inventory is limited and on a first come first serve basis.

I only did it once when I wasn't sure of my connecting flight and had to cover the possibility of staying back one additional day in Rome. I am not sure if that counts. However, I am thinking about one speculative booking though. I want to go to two places, A & B next year. But, I haven't made up my mind on which one I would go first. It might take me a few weeks to decide (cost, feasibility of using miles & weather conditions). However, the places I want to stay are very aspiring (if I can use that with a little freedom) for quite a few and would hate to see them gone when I finally decide.

There are certain do's and do not in travel community. Some of them are very strict like do not insult the place and culture you are visiting. Some are controversial, like do you do you recline or not. I am not sure how bad speculative bookings is looked down upon. I would like to hear opposing views on it somewhere.

smittytabb

Staff member
There's speculative and then there's speculative. All future reservations are by their very nature speculative. It's one thing to book a couple of award or hotel options in the planning phase. It is another to book multiple options for the purpose of preserving options just for the sake of it. It's about intent.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I moved this out of the early award booking thread - I think that I helped the hijacking because my first reaction to an early award was the speculative nature of it. Certainly an interesting topic. For me, I tend to fit into a middle ground where I book without much care, so it is speculative in a sense, but then I just go on the trip... I haven't booked and cancelled yet, but have moved dates on flights to fit changing schedules.

I guess I am a bit guilty of this speculation when it comes to the free one ways on an award flight, as I might just book a date that completes the reservation and might move it later on.

Hotel bookings are certainly more friendly when it comes to cancellation policy, so there is broader scope for 'abuse' on this. The abuse being taking away inventory from others.

tmount

Administrator
I tend to think that if you have the miles/points - "speculative" booking isn't necessarily a bad thing. If hotels felt that it was becoming an issue, they would institute more stringent cancellation policies. For most hotel chains, I have to believe that to really impact award space, you need to have significant points balances.

vike

Level 2 Member
I do a lot of speculative hotel bookings. If you have the points to cover the extra reservations, why not? As hotels fill, award redemptions may dry up. This has happened to me before I pulled the trigger. I learned my lesson and freely spec now to cover many possibilities.