Speaking out against the scourge of avant-garde hotel bathroom design

NickPFD

Mmmm.... yeah....
Staff member
Last month I took the family to Washington DC. We stayed at the K Street Hyatt Place, conveniently located a couple of blocks north of the White House. It’s a Category 3, which by PFD family standards is a Category 7. The hotel was very nice, every staff member we interacted with was extremely friendly and capable, and overall the hotel was great, except… the glass-walled bathroom.

Other bloggers have spoken out against the scourge of excessively revealing bathrooms, so I’m not breaking new ground in saying that I am not a fan of this trend in hotel bathroom design. But the point bears repeating: when you have your mother-in-law along on a trip, as I did, glass walls and doors such as the one in the Hyatt Place bathroom are not welcome, even if they’re translucent. I’ll grant you that they look lovely and they make for better pictures, but generally speaking light should not be transmitted through the doors or the walls of a hotel bathroom.

Contrast this bathroom to the one at the Comfort Suites I just stayed at in Asheville on a $65/night rate from Priceline (which is the first time I’ve paid for a hotel in years, incidentally). It had a good ol’ fashioned opaque door, plus the hot water was scalding and the water pressure was superior to what I have in my house. In other words, it’s almost a perfect hotel bathroom. There’s no bathroom fan, but that just means more steam for my hot shower.

Most big companies these days have market research teams that survey every aspect of the customer experience in order to give people what they think they want, so I can’t help but wonder who’s giving the green light for these bathrooms and why.

The post Speaking out against the scourge of avant-garde hotel bathroom design appeared first on Personal Finance Digest.

Continue reading...

R.R.

Level 2 Member
Agreed! Form should follow function, especially in the case of bathrooms. Privacy please! And comfort -- i.e. not only no flooded floors, but also no cold sprays when turning on the shower.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I have to admit, your headline made me LOL.

The Kimpton Donovan in DC has, at least, glass block for their seashell style shower, on the side that faces the room. Of course, I didn't have to share the room with my MIL.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
I don't like bathrooms with translucent doors for a different reason. No, I can't see inside but the light floods the room. And at 2am, I really don't want that. Design fail, yet it's been going on for at least 10 years and hotels continue to be built in this way.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
SD1K, I came across the translucent bathroom door deal for the first time in Nov of 2013, when we were at MXP, on our way home after our grandson was born. Stayed at the Novotel there w/Platinum Accor. Nice room, soft robes, excellent service and free cocktails at dinner and free full breakfast in the morning. But when I got up first at 5AM for my shower, Husband did zero more sleeping.

mtnAVman

Level 2 Member
I stayed in a W in Fort Lauderdale this year and was in complete awe of the full glass shower that a-joined the bedroom.
It was a full glass wall, with no frosting or anything! I felt uncomfortable, and I was the only person in the room. I agree, I don't know what the designers are thinking when it comes to bathrooms like this.