southwest

Betsy

I am trying to earn the buddy pass and have received the 2 cards. My statement closed Dec 5. Does this mean that my spending now will count as points earned in 2015 even if the charges post in December? The discussion I have seen elsewhere is confusing.

sriki

Level 2 Member
The simple answer is yes, spending now should count toward a companion pass for the year 2015.
Your reply can be confusing.

OP: whatever you points you earn this year will be for THIS YEAR. So, if you earned 110k points towards the companion pass, then you will get the pass THIS YEAR which is valid for the rest of this year and next.

But, to maximize the pass's duration, people get the card late in the year or early in the year so they can meet the minimum spend at the start of year so they can have it fir the remaining of the year and for the next.

If this isn't clear, pm me. I will explain with example.

Jonathan.

Super Platinum Elite Member
Betsy, let me take a stab at trying to clarify things. Everybody is basically trying to say the same thing, but the words can make it confusing.

The biggest thing that you need to know when it comes to Southwest points (most points, really) is that you dont "get" them (they dont post) until after your statement closes. You said your statement closed December 5th, so that means your next statement closes January 5th. So if you spent 1 Million dollars today using your southwest credit card, you wont actually "Get" 1 million points, until after January 5th, and those 1 Million points (because they posted in 2015) will count towards qualifying for the companion pass in 2015. So in short, what matters is when you actually "get" the points, and not when you spend the money. Does that make sense?

Morris

Level 2 Member
Your reply can be confusing.

OP: whatever you points you earn this year will be for THIS YEAR. So, if you earned 110k points towards the companion pass, then you will get the pass THIS YEAR which is valid for the rest of this year and next.

But, to maximize the pass's duration, people get the card late in the year or early in the year so they can meet the minimum spend at the start of year so they can have it fir the remaining of the year and for the next.

If this isn't clear, pm me. I will explain with example.
In the OP scenario spending today will count toward a companion pass for 2015/2016 since her statement has closed for December and, as mentioned by Jonathan, her points for spending today will post in January 2015.

inflightmeal

Level 2 Member
My Companion Pass came in the mail last week. I can't help but feel like I found a Golden Ticket in a Wonka Bar. But then I remember that 104% of SWA passengers wear flip flops.

Abbazappaplant

Paranoid MS'er :)
somehow my statement with chase just closed early and my points have already been credited... was supposed to close the 5th and closed on the 19th... don't even know what to do right now... feel like the wind is out of my sails... no companion pass until late 2015 for me... ugh!!!! all of you who get it, enjoy!

Jonathan.

Super Platinum Elite Member
somehow my statement with chase just closed early and my points have already been credited... was supposed to close the 5th and closed on the 19th... don't even know what to do right now... feel like the wind is out of my sails... no companion pass until late 2015 for me... ugh!!!! all of you who get it, enjoy!
Mistakes happen, but don't give into the lie that you got screwed. If you only ever got 50k southwest points for $100, thats an amazing deal ($700+ in travel for under $100). That said, nobody said you absolutely had to get the companion pass on January 1st. Just apply for another card or two and use those to get to the companion pass in 2015 (or get your spouse to apply and use your rr account number). https://creditcards.chase.com/6000329

Abbazappaplant

Paranoid MS'er :)
already got the ink in august... with the tightening of biz cards from chase I will probably have to wait until Q3 to get the CP via CC signup. If a good MS opportunity comes up, I will hit that hard, but alas, I still come out ahead with 110,000 points posting within 2 weeks of one another... or i'll just keep telling myself that.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Just got approved for my personal premier after getting biz premier in Nov 2014 in order to get the companion pass.

SO recently got CSP in Oct, so she got denied for both biz and personal in Nov 2014. Re-applied today for personal premier for SO and got approved. Now I'll have to do a little spend on my DC and apply the points to her SW account for the companion pass.

With our family of 5 total, the companion passes will come in real handy for the next 2 years!

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Question for you guys regarding timing on CP issuance - I was thinking of applying for the Personal Plus card now and getting 50k points, mostly since I think they'll end up discontinuing it, and then trying to time either a personal or a business for the end of the year so that I could get the pass starting in 2016. How would I have to time that? make sure that my statement closed in December and it'll get issued in January? Is that even workable with them?

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member
Question for you guys regarding timing on CP issuance - I was thinking of applying for the Personal Plus card now and getting 50k points, mostly since I think they'll end up discontinuing it, and then trying to time either a personal or a business for the end of the year so that I could get the pass starting in 2016. How would I have to time that? make sure that my statement closed in December and it'll get issued in January? Is that even workable with them?
You're trying to get the pass in January next year right? Getting the Plus 50k now won't work since they'll only count for this year.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

You're trying to get the pass in January next year right? Getting the Plus 50k now won't work since they'll only count for this year.
Don't they have to work around statement closing times? So if I can time it where my statement closes at the end of December, wouldn't it get issued for the beginning of 2015?

Apply for one of the other cards around October/November, then call chase and ask them to move my closing date to the end of the month.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
I don't think that'll work. If you get your Personal Plus now, you'll have to spend $2K within 3 months to get the 50K bonus. So the bonus would post in Feb through May 2015 depending when you complete spend. It'll count towards CP for 2015 - not 2016, as you intend.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I don't think that'll work. If you get your Personal Plus now, you'll have to spend $2K within 3 months to get the 50K bonus. So the bonus would post in Feb through May 2015 depending when you complete spend. It'll count towards CP for 2015 - not 2016, as you intend.
Right, but I'm wondering if we can game the system. If you earn all your points at the very end of 2015, they couldn't possibly issue you a CP for 2015, so then wouldn't it default to 2016 to start?

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Right, but I'm wondering if we can game the system. If you earn all your points at the very end of 2015, they couldn't possibly issue you a CP for 2015, so then wouldn't it default to 2016 to start?
Well, then you can't apply now because you have to do the spend within 3 months of getting your SW card...otherwise, no bonus 50k.

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member
If you can somehow earn the 50k from your plus at the end of 2015, have it post in 2016 even though you only have 3 months from the day you get your card to complete the $2k spend, then yes

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Rambo, if you haven't applied for a Chase card in 90 days, do both Biz and Personal cards now. Finish spend on both and get the CP for 2015 and 2016...

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Rambo, if you haven't applied for a Chase card in 90 days, do both Biz and Personal cards now. Finish spend on both and get the CP for 2015 and 2016...
I'm really not going to use it in 2015, so that's why I was going to try and game the system. I have no one to travel with at the moment.

SeanPIT

Level 2 Member
Slightly off topic, but does it sometimes take a while for the bonus points to post? $2k spend posted in points, but the 50k didn't show up yet. Then again, neither has any of the RR portal spending I've done, either. SW just seems to post more slowly than most others, or am I wrong?

Dealsformelanie

Level 2 Member
My husband's business and personal Plus cards statements just closed. I spent more than the $2k each. The personal card gave him the 50,000 bonus points. The business card did not.

I sent a secure message to Chase asking about it, and they said I did sign up for the offer, I did meet my bonus spending amount, and that I should look for those points in 6-8 weeks! Good thing I don't need my CP for the next 6-8 weeks. I was surprised by this.

SeanPIT

Level 2 Member
My husband's business and personal Plus cards statements just closed. I spent more than the $2k each. The personal card gave him the 50,000 bonus points. The business card did not.

I sent a secure message to Chase asking about it, and they said I did sign up for the offer, I did meet my bonus spending amount, and that I should look for those points in 6-8 weeks! Good thing I don't need my CP for the next 6-8 weeks. I was surprised by this.
Ah, thanks. I should have mentioned, too, that this is a business card. Time to focus on the personal for the last 6k points.

EDIT: Actually, since it's only the bonus that will take that long to post, I can focus on both to get the last 6.

Last edited:

cal1152

Level 2 Member
Currently Chase is offering 25k bonus points on both the SW biz and personal SW cards. Here's a link I found on slickdeals that still works for the 50k bonus point for both the biz and personal cards. I called Chase and they honored the 50k promo although I applied for the biz card with the 25k promo in effect.
Code:
https://creditcards.chase.com/6000324?CELL=6PMY

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
Crap, I didn't realize the 50k offer went away until just now. Anyone know of a working link for the 50k business card?

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Still-working emailed 50K Southwest business card link
Code:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=F99R&CELL=6MQJ&AFFID=&CLICK=&CID=&PROMO=DF01&RMID=L_141002_RREU_Chase_MQJ_Business&RRID=MTczNy5wZ2FyeS5hY2NvdW50c0BlYXJ0aGxpbmsubmV0&src=MAILRRDUPDT000MQJ141008&RR_NUMBER=ab4eb8466a05923b44e3cec1d276407dac5dbf1c&RSD=0807
from this post. No landing page.

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
Still-working emailed 50K Southwest business card link
Code:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=F99R&CELL=6MQJ&AFFID=&CLICK=&CID=&PROMO=DF01&RMID=L_141002_RREU_Chase_MQJ_Business&RRID=MTczNy5wZ2FyeS5hY2NvdW50c0BlYXJ0aGxpbmsubmV0&src=MAILRRDUPDT000MQJ141008&RR_NUMBER=ab4eb8466a05923b44e3cec1d276407dac5dbf1c&RSD=0807
from this post. No landing page.
Nice! Thank you! You've used this link and gotten 50k? Or know of others who have?
Now I just need this to still be alive after we close on our house tomorrow!

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Nice! Thank you! You've used this link and gotten 50k? Or know of others who have?
Now I just need this to still be alive after we close on our house tomorrow!
Yes, Bonnie did and others I know of. Not since December because the 50K public links came back, but it was several months old then.

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
There is no longer a 50k Plus version of the card available (unless anyone has a link for that too!), but there is still a 50k Premier available.

I'm trying to have my wife get the companion pass. She already has a SW Premier card that she got over 2 years ago (only Chase card she has left now, that's why we've kept it open). If we cancel the Premier card, then apply for it again, she should have no problem getting approved and getting the bonus, correct?

EDIT: I guess, more particularly, my question is will there be a problem canceling the Premier then applying for it again the next day? I know the terms of the premier is you can't receive a bonus in the last 24 months, and we've cleared that.

Last edited:

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I filled out Husband's apps for both personal and business (yes, we have a business) too late at night, last week, and missed the ending 0 on his income on one. OOPS.

He's been working really late, so, I called the reconsideration line today, as him. CSR, "How are you today, Miss?" ME, gruffly: My name's (Husband's name). CSR: "Oh, so sorry, Sir."

Gets info, goes away, comes back, "Sorry for the wait, Ma'am." ME: "Please don't call me Ma'am."

He got it "right" from then on. And approved the card. Heh. Companion pass, coming up for DH.

nayrb3

Level 2 Member
@MickiSue - I'm assuming you used Kenny's link above when applying for DH's SW Business card and got the 50k? Wife and I both got the premier in Jan and are looking at the Business card now to finish of CP and was just confirming that Kenny's link is still good for the 50k before I pulled the trigger...TIA!

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
@MickiSue - I'm assuming you used Kenny's link above when applying for DH's SW Business card and got the 50k? Wife and I both got the premier in Jan and are looking at the Business card now to finish of CP and was just confirming that Kenny's link is still good for the 50k before I pulled the trigger...TIA!
FWIW, I am (well really my wife is) in the same boat. However, there is nothing on application page that even references the 50K signup offer. I am not comfortable with that; we will just have to postpone our app until the 50K business offer comes back.

We were, however able to apply for the 50K personal offer earlier this month which did have a landing page.