Sonoma!

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
We'll be running away from PDX for a week in March, heading to SMF and from there to Sonoma, Napa, and Mendocino. I've never been, so I am happy for any tips/advice.

I know there are lots of fun B&Bs, but we'll use points, so if anyone has a fav chain hotel, what is it? Ditto for wineries you especially like, as well as day hikes and any sights to not miss.

Also, should we plan on any time to Sacramento, or just pick up a car and head west?

Thanks!

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
One chain hotel in Sonoma is the Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa. It's part of the Marriott Group. I've stayed there a couple times. It's far enough from town square that you will want to use your car to go anywhere. There's also a Fairmont property, the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn. I've eaten there and the property seemed very big and sprawling, not my taste.

Napa has both the Westin Verasa and the Andaz (Hyatt). The Andaz is in downtown Napa, great for those who prefer to walk to restaurants for meals. The Westin is a comfortable time share property, near Oxbow Market, but in general you would use your car to get anywhere.

Use AwardMapper and you will see more properties including the Hilton Garden Inn and Embassy Suites. I thought that the HGI was boring, on the edge of town. Then, again, free is good with points. I've not stayed at the Napa Valley Marriott.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Why SMF instead of STS? Not sure there's much to see in Sacto unless you're RR buffs but depends on what you want to do. As I recall there are some nice bike trails along the Sacto river. If you get to Santa Rosa (Fulton, actually)be sure to check out Kendall Jackson's seven course wine and food pairing--it's very nice.
http://www.kj.com/reserve-wine-and-food-pairing

Sonoma County-- the new Napa (seriously, the county is exploding with wineries bringing more tourists and traffic and higher prices, good for business, bad for natives is still more laid-back and slightly cheaper than Napa. Sonoma Co. is starting to be know for its breweries if you are interested in beer:
http://www.sonomacounty.com/activities/breweries

Bring your Visa signature for free wine tasting in Sonoma Co:
http://www.sonomawine.com/visa-signature-perks/vs-winery-guidewinery

Check out cell phone wine apps like WineryGeek http://www.winerygeek.com/ and WineCountry.com. for specials and coupons for wine tasting.

It can be foggy this time of year, esp. the Mendo Coast so check weather and don't plan too much night driving. The drive down or up the coast from Bodega Bay (Bodega Bay is a nice stop or you can start further north) to Mendocino is spectacular.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Thanks, @Annie H., very helpful. It is SMF because we wanted a non stop from PDX using Avios. I will check your links and appreciate the info and advice!

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
AS has a nonstop flight from PDX to STS on which you can use Avios.
Thanks for that. We have our flights all set and I already booked a PointBreaks hotel for the evening we arrive in SMF. I think we'll stick with that. But it is good to know for future trips!

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Thanks for that. We have our flights all set and I already booked a PointBreaks hotel for the evening we arrive in SMF. I think we'll stick with that. But it is good to know for future trips!
Yes, please remember;). Our little airport just lengthened the runways and is trying to convince AS to add more service (PHX and apparently Las Vegas) and attract another airline. We need all the passengers we can get and don't forget if you are willing to accept the liability AS doesn't charge for wine shipping. I've never been to SMF but STS takes me back almost 50 years when I first started flying

I've been able to use Avios to fly into STS but haven't been successful flying out. Have gotten two different stories each from AS, AA and BA. I need to do a post on this.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Yes, please remember;). ...and don't forget if you are willing to accept the liability AS doesn't charge for wine shipping.
I saw this someplace too - but is it a free service only if you travel out of STS, ir will it work out of SMF too?

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
"If you book through Alaska Airlines, up to a case of wine is included as part of your free luggage allowance on flights originating from Sonoma County Airport." (from the website; bolding is mine)

Wonder if booking through BA using Avios to fly on AS would qualify....?

Does anyone have any experience...?