Sleeping in LHR on layover

Jamie

Level 2 Member
We have a flight this winter where we arrive in LHR early in the morning after a business class BA transatlantic, and are then flying out eight hours later in the day to MUC. We have a few hours of driving to do from MUC, so I want to prevent anyone falling asleep at the wheel (understandably). I'm thinking our options are try to crash in the arrivals lounge or try to get a day room at a hotel near the airport? Does anyone have any personal experience with a situation like this and have any advice to give?

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member
We flew overnight to LHR and when we arrived we took the tube to London. Walking around in the fresh air really seemed to make us feel better. I know you mentioned that you are going in the winter, but I do feel that being outside rejuvenates you. When we returned, we took a shower at the lounge and that felt so good. We had a 9 PM flight that night and fell asleep by 11 PM

AlohaDaveKennedy

Level 2 Member
Best to catch sleep on the flight over to maintain your day-night cycle for fighting jet lag and keep the heat low or off on that drive from MUC to stay alert.

We have a flight this winter where we arrive in LHR early in the morning after a business class BA transatlantic, and are then flying out eight hours later in the day to MUC. We have a few hours of driving to do from MUC, so I want to prevent anyone falling asleep at the wheel (understandably). I'm thinking our options are try to crash in the arrivals lounge or try to get a day room at a hotel near the airport? Does anyone have any personal experience with a situation like this and have any advice to give?

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Depends on your circadian rhythm. I can tell you that you can rent a Yotel room for a few hours. We've stayed there and it's nice and convenient. You can nap on a very comfortable bed, watch tv, or grab some food at the pub across the way (quite good for airport food with a very nice selection of beers).

Last edited:

Jamie

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look into Yotel.
We did a similar trip to Copenhagen at Thanksgiving, connecting in Vienna, but the transatlantic was in coach. We spent the day walking around Vienna unable to stay awake, falling asleep in coffee shops and churches. Made for some good pictures of "Daddy meditating", but it certainly was a struggle.
I'm hoping that since we are flying in business this time that we will get a decent amount of sleep on the transatlantic and it won't be as much of an issue.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
We spent a five hour (9 am-2 pm) connection at the Yotel at LHR and we would not do that again. The construction of the whole Yotel area seems modular-sort of like a mobile home. Every nearby footstep causes noise. Same for maids constantly going back and forth, plus there are automatic doors that open and shut each time a maid goes from one area to another.

Good idea but the noisy rooms are not conducive to sleep. Also, as I recall, Yotel LHR is in T4, and to get back to T5 on the whacky LHR trains, you have to first go to t3, change trains, then go to T5. Not too tough but time consuming.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Yotel doesn't exactly sound like the Park Hyatt, but it's an experience I look forward to having.
It's very efficient and has proven very popular at the airports in London and Paris. What I like best is that you can tailor the time for your needs (no specific check in time or check out). My husband and I slept very well for our one night there. Although I don't doubt that it can be noisy if you're there during the day when there are lots of people just outside the hotel. While I wouldn't want to spend a week in one, it was fine for the one evening we stayed and made it very easy to catch our early morning flight the next day. It's also an interesting experience in efficiency.

Apparently, the Yotels are doing quite well and are planning to expand to a number of major cities outside of airports. One opened in NYC and is fairly popular.