Shifting credit availability to lower rate cards

stlcole

Level 2 Member
It took me several weeks to figure out that I could shift available credit from higher APR cards to lower APR cards. So I wanted to write a specific thread about my experience for any other reader looking to lower interest expenses as part of a plan to eliminate CC debt...

The goal, or at least my goal, is to get roughly $50k of credit card debt paid off (the whys and wherefores have been discussed in a different thread in these forums). Each quarter, I make payments totaling $5k to $8k, of which roughly $2k covers interest expense and the rest reduces balances. (I know, it makes my stomach hurt too). If only my balances were on lower APR cards...

I have a 22% APR card and a 13% APR with BofA, and a 22% APR and 15% APR card with Chase. In both cases, after having created slack on the higher APR cards from pay downs, I called BofA and Chase and had $7500 of available credit transferred from the higher APR card to the lower APR card. This thread is to simply emphasize the value of calling the banks and getting available credit reallocated. Both banks, after a soft pull and getting updated on my current income, accommodated me quickly. I don't know if it helped their decision process, but it helped me to be able to point to significant pay downs on the high APR cards and to the fact that I have never had any delinquency in my credit history.

I have potentially saved myself 8 percentage points of interest on $15k of debt over then next 12 months, which is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. In other words, I cut my interest expense by $300 per quarter or 15%. After my FICO improves a little, I plan to get another card or two and take advantage of 0% interest / balance transfers. But first things first: get my balances and interest expenses down right now.

stlcole

Level 2 Member
A Note About Shifting Credit Availability and a possible drop in FICO Scores

If the credit card statement for the card with the reduction in credit line is picked up before the credit card statement for the card with the increase in credit line, the credit bureaus will show a reduction in overall credit availability and increase in credit utilization (all things equal). As a consequence, FICO scores can drop for a short period of time (until the credit card statements for the cards with the increase in credit lines are recorded).

madage

Level 2 Member
Maybe I'm missing something. How does it save you any money to reallocate credit off the higher APR card? You're only "saving" if you're still charging to these credit cards, which costs more than paying for new purchases with cash or debit.

stlcole

Level 2 Member
@madage When I get my income, I immediately pay down as much high APR debt as I can. I am restrained in my spending, and what spending I do is charged to lower rate cards. Fairly quickly my debt as it declines also transitions from high APRs to low APRs, all the while I limit my interest expense by paying the cards down first. I also maximize my chance for cash back, and I leave minimal 'float' in cash.