SFO Bay Area

salmon51

Level 2 Member
Anyone around this weekend and want to meet up sometime? I'm over in the east bay if anyone is interested.

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
I'd love to get together! I'm in Berkeley, but can easily meet anywhere near a BART station.

If I were in charge of the world :), weekends work best.

salmon51

Level 2 Member
What's everyone's schedules look like over the next two weeks? I'm free all the time now, so I'm open to most dates/times.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I will be in the Bay Area on 8/13 to 8/20. Very unsure if it would work but willing to try if something is planned.

BTW, where do you guys buy MOs in the Los Altos/Palo Alto/downtown SF area? I'd hate to leave my MSing schedule at home ;) !

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I plan to be in the Bay Area possibly next week through end of the month. Would love to "meet" West Coasters...

SC Trojan

Level 2 Member
I will be in the Bay Area on 8/13 to 8/20. Very unsure if it would work but willing to try if something is planned.

BTW, where do you guys buy MOs in the Los Altos/Palo Alto/downtown SF area? I'd hate to leave my MSing schedule at home ;) !
I've been getting a lot of "push back" from WM about MOs. Of the 2 WMs near me, one requires they check the debit card has your name on it and it matches your ID. The other allows the use of VGCs, but makes a copy of your license and makes you fill out a form with the DL# on it. I don't really feel comfortable that WM is going to protect my personal info, so I have cut back on in person MSing and limited it to using Kate or other means. I'm thinking of using an expired license next time and maybe getting a California ID (not a Drivers License, it's something else).

cocobird

Level 2 Member
I've been getting a lot of "push back" from WM about MOs. Of the 2 WMs near me, one requires they check the debit card has your name on it and it matches your ID. The other allows the use of VGCs, but makes a copy of your license and makes you fill out a form with the DL# on it. I don't really feel comfortable that WM is going to protect my personal info, so I have cut back on in person MSing and limited it to using Kate or other means. I'm thinking of using an expired license next time and maybe getting a California ID (not a Drivers License, it's something else).
Interesting - I believe there is a California law that does not permit a business to take a copy of your license or even write the drivers license number down. Sounds like time for push back (or maybe a lawsuit?)

The law only allows the business to see that the person is who he/she claims to be and can only be used for identification purposes. I had that issue at a restaurant (using a discount voucher) and told them it was illegal. The next time, I went, they were no longer trying to take the info down.

SC Trojan

Level 2 Member
I work in CA and went through a bunch of privacy training when I started a new job a couple years back. I figured what they were doing was illegal and the thought had crossed my mind of reporting it to the manager or WM. My concern is they will then just cut off the use of VGCs all together. I know that's what they did in the WM nearby, so I think that's pretty likely. It's also a huge PITA because they have to take my ID, run to the back of the store, photocopy it, then run back then they can process my multiple VGCs. I'll probably try the expired ID route, and just argue that it's a valid ID. Otherwise maybe I'll give them some random government ID like my Global Entry one.

SC Trojan

Level 2 Member
The WM fresh market in San Ramon. The WM in Pleasanton is the one that requires the card to have your name on it. Technically they have a Kate, but it down like 90% of the time, so pretty useless. Livermore doesn't have a Kate, though I haven't checked them out lately. The WM fresh market in Pleasanton I haven't been to lately, but got a bad vibe at last time. The manager was the one that checked me out when reloading a BB, she asked if I was "doing this for points" which caught me off guard, so I just repeated "it's a debit card". She gave me a dirty look and said OK. I might check back there sometime soon, but it seems like a trend. I think they had a huge increase in MS after VRs stopped being sold at the drug store with CC. VRs at the drug store used to be pretty hard to find, so I'm sure there are a lot of MSers in the area.

salmon51

Level 2 Member
The WM fresh market in San Ramon. The WM in Pleasanton is the one that requires the card to have your name on it. Technically they have a Kate, but it down like 90% of the time, so pretty useless. Livermore doesn't have a Kate, though I haven't checked them out lately. The WM fresh market in Pleasanton I haven't been to lately, but got a bad vibe at last time. The manager was the one that checked me out when reloading a BB, she asked if I was "doing this for points" which caught me off guard, so I just repeated "it's a debit card". She gave me a dirty look and said OK. I might check back there sometime soon, but it seems like a trend. I think they had a huge increase in MS after VRs stopped being sold at the drug store with CC. VRs at the drug store used to be pretty hard to find, so I'm sure there are a lot of MSers in the area.
I definitely go to the one in San Ramon and know exactly what you're talking about. Have you had any luck with doing more than 2k of MOs? They only want to do one transaction for me, even though it's a PITA.

SC Trojan

Level 2 Member
I definitely go to the one in San Ramon and know exactly what you're talking about. Have you had any luck with doing more than 2k of MOs? They only want to do one transaction for me, even though it's a PITA.
I never tried, but they seem to be OK with multiple $500 VGCs in one transaction. Actually once you photocopy the ID they seemed OK.

Miles Mademoiselle

Level 2 Member
I'll just throw this out there and see who bites -- anybody free this Friday, August 15 to get together in downtown SF at, say, 5:30? What about the Grand Hyatt Union Square? They have a nice, recently-renovated bar/lounge area overlooking the lobby.

taxicabnumber

Level 2 Member
I'll potentially bite, was planning to meet up with people in SF later that evening anyhow. That said, not 100% so feel free to not count me when deciding whether or not to go ahead with this.

(And how much are drinks at the Grand Hyatt? I'm a grad student :) )

Miles Mademoiselle

Level 2 Member
I'll potentially bite, was planning to meet up with people in SF later that evening anyhow. That said, not 100% so feel free to not count me when deciding whether or not to go ahead with this.

They're not cheap (standard hotel cocktails ~$10-12). There's also Lefty O'Douls down the street. Cheap drinks, dark corns, tons of space. Any other takers for Friday evening?

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
I'd normally be interested, but wouldn't be able to make tomorrow. Saturday or Sunday, sure. Or a future Friday.

Miles Mademoiselle

Level 2 Member

I'm game for a meetup whenever it works for folks. @taxicabnumber -- if you want to meet tonight, PM me and we can pick a place and then announce it here. Best time for me is anytime between 6 and 8.

taxicabnumber

Level 2 Member
I think I'm going to have to pass this time, sorry! I'm a little behind and won't be heading up to the city as soon as I hoped -- I wasn't sure if this was happening and started working a bit late today. Next Friday (8/23) work for people? Same general location/time?

taxicabnumber

Level 2 Member
So how does this Friday look for people? Same location/time idea (~6ish, near Union Square)? If this happens, I promise not to flake this time!

MaryE

Level 2 Member
I'll be up at my favorite Hyatt Regency in Santa Clara this coming Saturday. Anyone want to meet up? We can talk SMGC and MO and WM in local areas. Not to mention I'd like to hang out with some points and miles people. I'm a Diamond member, so we could go to the Regency Club there and talk on Sat night, or I can meet others somewhere else.

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member
I'll be up at my favorite Hyatt Regency in Santa Clara this coming Saturday. Anyone want to meet up? We can talk SMGC and MO and WM in local areas. Not to mention I'd like to hang out with some points and miles people. I'm a Diamond member, so we could go to the Regency Club there and talk on Sat night, or I can meet others somewhere else.
Ha, I'll be doing my mattress run this weekend there too. I'd go to the meetup.
Parking is free! I'm free Fri or Sat.

Last edited:

MaryE

Level 2 Member
I'll be there on Sat night. Probably around 6pm or 7pm ish. Just post here, it'll hit my email.