Serve/BB/RedBird and Social Security Benefits

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member
My dad is 65 and will likely claim social security benefits next year. I've been avoiding using his SSN to sign up for Serve/BB/Redbird just in case MS'ing on it could negatively impact his benefits. What do you guys think? Would it be safe to get a redbird for him?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
My dad is 65 and will likely claim social security benefits next year. I've been avoiding using his SSN to sign up for Serve/BB/Redbird just in case MS'ing on it could negatively impact his benefits. What do you guys think? Would it be safe to get a redbird for him?
Better question, can he find a way to not claim until 70, assuming he is in good health?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
he's not in good health unfortunately.
diabetes and an aneurysm that's hopefully stopped progressing... :(
Sorry to hear that. Regarding your initial question, MSing on the RB should not impact SSI.

That doesn't mean it won't.

If you elect to embark on the MS route the risk offset is that it 'might' create a situation where income is challenged. It's a fight you 'should' win, but you need to accept you could lose.

c2nah777

Yes, it is a goatee.
Great question. I feel (after reading Matt's response) that that is as close to an answer you could have. It may not be worth the risk of even having the fight, whether you prevail or not. If there are big spends and/or deposits tied to him, it may set off the audit alarm bells. Good for you for being concerned and responsible about the decision!

On a side note, I don't think I should hold out until 70, even if in good health at the early retirement age. Being a man, makes it tougher to pass the break even point. That is a gamble I am concerned about down the road. Just my current opinion (at mid 50's age range), and it is subject to revision.