Selecting seats on partner airlines?

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Last year my family of 5 went to Maui on Alaska airlines using British Airways Avios. I wasn't able to check in online on Alaska before the flight to get seats together for all of us because Alaska did not recognize the BA PNR number. Later after we had returned, I learned that I could have logged into Royal Jordanian's site (rj.com) and input my BA PNR in order to see the Alaska e-ticket number. With the e-ticket number I could have checked in for our flight and selected seats on Alaska. I was successfully able to do this for a trip we had later in the year on Alaska to Spokane Washington.

Are there any other "tricks" like this out there in order to select seats on partner airlines?

I am particularly interested in selecting business class seats on Air Canada flights that were booked with Avianca Lifemiles and AirBerlin flights that were booked with AA miles.

Zoe

Level 2 Member
I called Air Berlin and booked my seats with them, after I booked my business class seats with AA miles. It usually works if you call the airline directly which you are flying on. Give them your name, date, flight # info. Once they establish what your booking confirmation code is with them is, then you can chose your seats with the phone representative.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the suggestion. Usually calling is my last preference unfortunately. I'd rather do it online but if there is no other way...

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
When doing this, always a good idea to obtain the ticket number issued by the partner. I had biz seats on SQ vanish overnight on me (UA Award) and no recourse without a ticket number by them... it will be different in many cases from the booking number/ticket number you have already.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Yeah I'm a little nervous about my award flight booked with Avianca. When logged into their site I see the PNR and it says it is confirmed but it doesn't show me much information compared to other airlines. AA I trust a little more.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
I wasn't able to check in online on Alaska before the flight to get seats together for all of us because Alaska did not recognize the BA PNR number.
To echo Matt and Zoe above, it is essential to always get the confirmation number of the actual airline on which you'll be flying, ASAP. As soon as you booked the Alaska flights, or shortly thereafter, BA could have given you the Alaska booking reference. It varies by airline; on UA sometimes you can see the partner airline's confirmation code online (there's a hyperlink that says something like, "Show additional booking codes") and sometimes it requires a call. In any case, especially when booking award flights on partner airlines, confirm directly with the partner airline--early and often.

smittytabb

Staff member
Yeah I'm a little nervous about my award flight booked with Avianca. When logged into their site I see the PNR and it says it is confirmed but it doesn't show me much information compared to other airlines. AA I trust a little more.
Often the ticket number is the same but the record locator will be different. I usually call the airline whose miles I booked with and ask for each record locator for every different airline I am on. Then I contact the airline I am flying with directly by phone if I cannot do it online. Lufthansa is easy to do online, but many are not. It is a good idea to double check back again too as the flight gets closer to be sure all is in order. I always have a copy of every record locator with me while I am traveling. Things do change and the more information you have the better if there are issues. Make sure to have a copy of something with the eticket number. That is the main thing that actually proves you have a reservation. I have had to call the US many times with issues mid-trip. This has happened both on revenue and award tickets. Once I almost got stranded in Accra, Ghana because British wouldn't let me board because my AA segment had upgraded from LHR to Chicago and AA reticketed me but for whatever reason my first leg could no longer be recognized by BA. It was a nightmare. Fortunately I was at the airport early and someone let me borrow their phone to call the U.S. Things happen. The more info you have the better!

Mingy

Level 2 Member
Has anyone been able to select economy seats lately on airberlin on an AA award lately without having to pay airberlin's fee?
I can see the reservation on Finnair and RJ, which Google indicates used to work at least at some point. But, unless I am completely missing it, I cannot change anything in the reservation such as selecting a seat. (Though it looks like I can input FF number into RJ).

KyRoamer

Level 2 Member
Often the ticket number is the same but the record locator will be different. I usually call the airline whose miles I booked with and ask for each record locator for every different airline I am on. Then I contact the airline I am flying with directly by phone if I cannot do it online. Lufthansa is easy to do online, but many are not. It is a good idea to double check back again too as the flight gets closer to be sure all is in order. I always have a copy of every record locator with me while I am traveling. Things do change and the more information you have the better if there are issues. Make sure to have a copy of something with the eticket number.
Great advice. In the notes section of my iPhone I put all travel details for air, hotel, other transportation, guides, tours, etc. including provider phone numbers. That has saved many a trip.