Seat Selection Ripoff!!!

HanoiIG

Silver Member
OK, We are flying Business LHR-IAD in November and we can't book a seat until the day before when checkin opens unless we want to spend 75-100 GBP to do it early!

I've never encountered this before and we fly 15-30 different flights in any given year.

In the long run, we are all dead. Anyway, why would I want to do this(unless it was my AX airline of choice in which case I would do it just to burn the elusive credit, which will likely go unused this year since UA stopped Gift Bank.

My wife and I are both grownups and can sit apart if necessary. Frankly, many much nicer biz class seats don't really allow for conversation. Also since it is just an 8 hour flight during a time when we would be awake, I don't reallly care. Any other airlines do this?

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
Do you have status on another OneWorld carrier? If you attach your booking to that number, you should be able to get your seat assignments for free. But yes, I agree, it sure doesn't feel like business class when you can't get a seat assignment for free. I've not had the issue with any other carrier that I've flown.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
OK, We are flying Business LHR-IAD in November and we can't book a seat until the day before when checkin opens unless we want to spend 75-100 GBP to do it early!

I've never encountered this before and we fly 15-30 different flights in any given year.

In the long run, we are all dead. Anyway, why would I want to do this(unless it was my AX airline of choice in which case I would do it just to burn the elusive credit, which will likely go unused this year since UA stopped Gift Bank.

My wife and I are both grownups and can sit apart if necessary. Frankly, many much nicer biz class seats don't really allow for conversation. Also since it is just an 8 hour flight during a time when we would be awake, I don't reallly care. Any other airlines do this?
It’s just the way it is. BA doesn’t allow advance seat selection for free on anything below First.