Search Options?

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Hey Matt!

Do you have any other options that you can tweak for the search options?

Now that the forums have exploded, finding information is becoming very difficult. There are probably better ways of searching the forums but I'm spoiled by the way Google does searches.:D

Today I tried to search for a thread that I posted to previously. I could only remember that it had "AMEX" and "CVS" and another term in the title so I checked the "Search titles only" checkbox. Apprently when searching it uses "or" instead of "and" with the terms.

It brought up every thread with AMEX or CVS in the title. The search results were a mile long...

Can you change the search to use ALL words in the search field?

What does everyone else think about search?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Matt!

Do you have any other options that you can tweak for the search options?

Now that the forums have exploded, finding information is becoming very difficult. There are probably better ways of searching the forums but I'm spoiled by the way Google does searches.:D

Today I tried to search for a thread that I posted to previously. I could only remember that it had "AMEX" and "CVS" and another term in the title so I checked the "Search titles only" checkbox. Apprently when searching it uses "or" instead of "and" with the terms.

It brought up every thread with AMEX or CVS in the title. The search results were a mile long...

Can you change the search to use ALL words in the search field?

What does everyone else think about search?
If you do +amex +cvs do you get it?

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Maybe it was just a fluke. The thread title I was searching for was "CVS Amex Gift Card PSA - YMMV"

When I searched for CVS, AMEX, PSA I got 72 hits. A search for just CVS and AMEX gets 72 hits as well.
When I searched for CVS, AMEX, YMMV I got 1 hit like I would have expected.

I just couldn't remember the YMMV part! :eek:

Nevermind....

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
It seems like the search does not work when the string is too short. For instance, I searched "SPG" and no results came up, even though there is at least one thread with that in the title. Since we use so many of these acronyms, is it possible to allow a search on a two-character string and up?

smittytabb

Staff member
Maybe it was just a fluke. The thread title I was searching for was "CVS Amex Gift Card PSA - YMMV"

When I searched for CVS, AMEX, PSA I got 72 hits. A search for just CVS and AMEX gets 72 hits as well.
When I searched for CVS, AMEX, YMMV I got 1 hit like I would have expected.

I just couldn't remember the YMMV part! :eek:

Nevermind....
I have had trouble with search as well. If I am looking for something I posted, I just check my own recent posts and scroll down. I agree that it is not that easy to use.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

There's a few fixes Matt can implement that should improve things. I have no idea why a basic search of just CVS is coming up empty as it is, but it'll get better.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
It seems like the search does not work when the string is too short. For instance, I searched "SPG" and no results came up, even though there is at least one thread with that in the title. Since we use so many of these acronyms, is it possible to allow a search on a two-character string and up?
Currently it will do that but only within a forum. EG you have to search SPG after clicking into MS. I'm going to upgrade things, but in the interim that might help.