I am attempting to book the following using AK miles:

Seattle > Dubai (Emirates)
Stopover in Dubai for 2 days
Dubai > Johannesburg (Emirates)
Destination in South Africa for 10 days
Johannesburg > Orlando (Emirates)
Stopover in Orlando for 4 days
Orlando > Seattle (Alaska Air)

I can't get the system to allow this when trying to book as a roundtrip or as one ways. I thought the stopovers in Dubai and Orlando would be allowed, but evidently not. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

Jawa

Level 2 Member
This trip needs to be booked using the multi-city option. On the main site, hit "All search options"

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I believe AS allows only one stopover, whether you choose one way or round trip, so you get an error code searching as a RT and have to do one-ways. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution, but to add a little more detail:

Using AS miles, the outbound is no problem as a one-way. SEA-DXB-JNB, booked on EK shows up immediately. OP if you don't see this, then maybe you are searching dates with no seats available.

For the return, a search of just JNB-MCO shows the EK flights. (Again, OP if you don't see these, maybe it's the dates you are choosing. I picked a random day in Sep and see plenty of options on first search).

But JNB-MCO-SEA, with a stopover, changes to BA flights, routing via LHR and SEA to MCO, then back to SEA after the stopover. We know there is EK availability because of the previous search on the same date to MCO. And as this set of BA flights shows, there is also availability on the MCO-SEA non-stop for the dates after the stopover in Orlando.

So frankly I'm not sure why the EK connection isn't showing up either. I'd be curious to the answer to this as well. BA is an option for the OP, but with more connections and more taxes.