Saving money on postpaid cellphone plans

I'm on an AT&T plan - single line and considering to switch to a prepaid plan to reduce monthly bill & avoid taxes. I pay AT&T currently $70 per month for a single line. In my research, I found these options:

1) Cricket wireless - One line would cost $35 per month and unlimited talk/text and 2.5GB of data. If you get 5 people added to the plan, cost decreases to $20 per line per month. This is on AT&T network. Max data speed is capped to 8 Mbps and no roaming provided in the middle of Nebraska.

2) Harbor wireless - This is a t-mobile MVNO. For $30 a month, you can get unlimited talk/text and 2.5GB of data on t-mo network. Compare their plans with t-mo plans. Identical features except that harbor wireless is 20 dollars cheaper.

3) AT&T Gophone - AT&T's prepaid option. For 40 bucks a month, you can get unlimited talk/text and 1.5GB of data. Superfast download and upload speeds. Cost is $45 per month but you can get refillable card from callingmart for 40 dollars.

There are other operators like MetroPCS, StraightTalk, BoostMobile, Ting. Avoided most of them as they are local or Sprint MVNOs (Sprint's connectivity is deplorable).

Add your comments on the cheapest prepaid cellphone plan with unlimited talk/text.

Last edited:

SSgrant

Level 2 Member
If T-Mobile works in your area they have Metro PCS as well. Ting can also be used on T-Mobile. It's not just Sprint anymore. Google just announced a new wireless service today using both Sprint and T-Mobile. The phone chooses whichever has the best signal at the time. It's called Google Fi, but I think it's still by invitation only.