Poll Saverocity Finance and Business Podcast?

Would you subscribe to a weekly or monthly Saverocity finance and business podcast?

• Yes, I'd listen to a Saverocity finance and business podcast.

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No, that's not what I'm interested in from Saverocity.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No, I don't listen to podcasts.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • What's a podcast?

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Matt and I were riffing on Twitter about the idea of another Saverocity podcast focused on finance and business topics, and I thought it would be an interesting first step to see what kind of interest Forum participants have.

Let me be clear: lots of people don't listen to podcasts at all, and lots of people who do listen to podcasts like to listen to fiction and stuff like that. No judgments.

But if there's a large enough group of people who are interested in topics of business and personal finance from a concrete, real-world perspective, the perspective most of us travel hackers have, that might be something Saverocity could offer that enough folks are interested in to make viable.

So, if you're so inclined, check out the included poll!

sriki

Level 2 Member
I listen to a lot of podcasts, varying from programming to reality show analysis. I would be interested in finance though not sure about business.

OT: Throw in investment and FIRE stuff. It would be gravy.

Jamie

Level 2 Member
I think I'd like to listen to a finance/business podcast. Like you mentioned on Twitter, I don't care for that overwrought style that a lot of business/money radio programs have. I'd very much like to gain some familiarity with finance topics, though. It wasn't really something that was discussed at home and didn't come up along the way to getting a PhD in chemistry. I almost feel like going to a class at the library or something, but whenever I've done that on other topics... Well, when they say "beginner" they really mean it.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
OK I'd be down for this. As I don't listen to many, nor know what people feel is lacking, I would want to try to get some good interaction going on in terms of topics to cover etc.

Someone

Level 2 Member
There's probably some value in doing it but I voted that I don't like listening to podcasts. If you had a transcript at the end I'd read it though. Whenever I want to know what was on a corporate earnings call or even some conf calls I've been on, I go for the transcript not the recording. It just feels faster to me.

Bury

Level 2 Member
I'm very interested. There aren't enough episodes of Observation Deck or Dots, Lines, and Destinations to keep my ears busy. Hopefully you can get some cool guests like Matt, PFDigest, or even someone like Ramit Sethi. I would like to hear tips on automation and reducing the mental overload (read: hassle) of personal finance. I would not like to hear about running a low-margin, high-effort side business like reselling.

redbirdsj

Level 2 Member
There's probably some value in doing it but I voted that I don't like listening to podcasts. If you had a transcript at the end I'd read it though. Whenever I want to know what was on a corporate earnings call or even some conf calls I've been on, I go for the transcript not the recording. It just feels faster to me.
Agreed reading transcripts is way faster. However I do like podcasts for commute time, working out, taking walks, etc.

Vic Diaz

Level 2 Member
I would be interested like others have mentioned more on personal finance rather than business unless it jumps into the entrepreneurial space. One of the questions I am battling now is if I should put my emergency fund in a conservative investment with a liquidation time frame of one week and cover the emergency with a credit card or keep it highly liquid. That would a cool topic to talk about.

newtoca

Level 2 Member
I listen to a lot of podcasts, varying from programming to reality show analysis. I would be interested in finance though not sure about business.
@sriki - can you please direct me to a few good programming podcasts, I am an avid listener but I stick to science and economist podcasts.

I think another Saverocity podcast would be great but it needs to include some investment advise as well.

sriki

Level 2 Member
@sriki - can you please direct me to a few good programming podcasts, I am an avid listener but I stick to science and economist podcasts.
It depends on what you are interested in. My day job is in .NET. So, I listen to .NET rocks sometimes. My current exploration is in Elixir. So, elixir fountain. Past: haskell cast, mostly erlang

Matt and I are moving forward with this and I want to say all your feedback is fantastic and helpful!

To clarify one thing that was ambiguous, when I said "finance and business" I meant "business" in the sense of entrepreneurship, self-employment, etc., not "dell is merging with intel."

The hope is that this will be focused on information and analysis that's relevant and actionable to folks.

Jamie

Level 2 Member
Self-employment and entrepreneurship is just what I'd like to hear about.
I'd love to hear about the basic first things a person should think about when starting a small business. I'm thinking more of a tax and legal related way - even though I understand nothing on the podcast would be considered "professional legal or tax advice". I want to ramp up reselling, but the idea of keeping track of all that for the purposes of reporting it intimidates me, because I don't want to screw something up or miss out an important piece of information. Even a recommendation on a good book would be appreciated.

Bury

Level 2 Member
Would someone please post here when the podcast is released? I heard it mentioned on the Saverocity Observation Deck as potentially releasing soon.

To update everyone who has been kind enough to provide feedback and suggestions, Matt and I have recorded a couple episodes already and are just working on building up a few more as a buffer so we can release them on a regular schedule (since we are both traveling a lot in the coming months, as you might expect). We'll no doubt promote the hell out of it when the first episode is finally released in the next few weeks.

ashishsg

a$]-[u
I love podcasts, I listen to existing Savorocity podcast while mowing and do not mind the ton of chit chatting that comes on the side

Benjamin

Level 2 Member
Absolutely. Being that we are all like minded folks(for the most part), this could be very relevant to people in this hobby. Would this be a fee-based subscription? Something nominal would be totally kosher. So that way those working on the production could have root beers, juice, what have you.