Saverocity Charitable Giving - thread

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday I posted my intention to donate all of my own credit card affiliate revenue to charity. I'm looking for some support getting this going.

I see two sides of this needing support, one side is management of charity selection, the other is audit.

Management of Charity Selection.

We want to pick 2 charities each quarter, and donate equally to them. One will be an established, well known charity, and one a smaller niche charity. We will need to bring in a short list of X charities and have a vote for the winner. We can do this via the polling software here on the forum. Helpers for this - you don't need to know how to set up the poll, you just need to help me collect a shortlist of X (maybe 5, maybe less?) charities for each.

Charity selection criteria. It is critical that we pick 'good' charities. We should ensure that the costs are minimal - so we need to pick a number and use it as our benchmark using this (or other) tools http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Auditing

I have one volunteer already, I think we should have 2-3 to check one another. We will discuss the role via PM within the audit group.

Please let me know if you would have an interest in working with me in one of these roles. I don't expect them to be overly time consuming, but having an extra set of hands would be great. In the future, we are talking about expanding the charity into other areas, though that doesn't mean you will have to be involved in that if your workload can't handle it.

Goals

I want to have a shortlist of X charities for each of the two by the end of this week, if not sooner. From that we will then create the poll. In the interim, any of my own links that convert will be assigned towards whatever charities we should select.

Saverocity is a network of blogs, each blogger has their own links, please note that the charity donations are coming from my own share of that.

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I have one volunteer already, I think we should have 2-3 to check one another. We will discuss the role via PM within the audit group.

Please let me know if you would have an interest in working with me in one of these roles. I don't expect them to be overly time consuming, but having an extra set of hands would be great. In the future, we are talking about expanding the charity into other areas, though that doesn't mean you will have to be involved in that if your workload can't handle it.

Goals

I want to have a shortlist of X charities for each of the two by the end of this week, if not sooner. From that we will then create the poll. In the interim, any of my own links that convert will be assigned towards whatever charities we should select.

Saverocity is a network of blogs, each blogger has their own links, please note that the charity donations are coming from my own share of that.
I'm interested!

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Happy to help. I am between trips and heading back east so life is pretty hectic this week and then I am away, but I should have more time after mid-Sept. I am probably not an auditor type (I hate math!) but I can help with charity selection. Sounds like you'll get it done before I am back, but I can help for subsequent quarters and/or with other projects as it grows.... Will the shortlist change every quarter? every year?

Kudos to you, Matt. Lovely idea.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I’m going to be helping Matt with a “longer term vision… and bigger projects.” Some of the ideas that have been floated are a charitable foundation, a vehicle for Saverocity members to “match” Matt’s quarterly cash contributions to charity, and a way for members to contribute points and miles for charity.

I am specifically looking for folks who have experience setting up a non-profit foundation (a lawyer or other expert willing to donate time for this would be awesome) and folks who have experience or who might be willing to volunteer time to research donating points and miles to the foundation that can then be used to help those less fortunate. We also welcome other ideas and volunteers to help with those ideas.

You can post here to indicate your interest in the longer-term aspect of the project or send me a PM with your interest, enthusiam and skill. This community is awesome and I can't wait to see us pull together and run with Matt's idea.

Annie H.

StammesOpfer

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I would be interested in helping on the back end. I am good with large datasets and could help research a few charities.