Sapphire Reserve 28:16 Well Spent

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK. While we were in Germany, I applied for this new card, figuring 100K UR and 3X on travel and dining would be great, especially as I have a huge cruise payment due in June. I was told it was under consideration but of course when I got home I had been rejected too many cards.

I called reconsideration line and got an agreeable man (with a NY accent!) who asked several questions and seemed most concerned with my total credit outstanding with Chase so suggested swapping some from Sapphire Preferred. He then asked what sort of limit I was seeking.

I went low($12,000) figuring my wife's higher limit would enable us to charge big ticket items in tandem since we can combine the points and I really wanted the 100K bonus for signup.

I was then put through to a nice woman in Verfication Department and after only two fairly short holds, I was approved! It already shows up on my online Chase site so all should be good.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I was then put through to a nice woman in Verfication Department and after only two fairly short holds, I was approved! It already shows up on my online Chase site so all should be good.
Congrats! But don't tease a puzzle solver. What exactly does 28:16 mean?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
28 cards in 16 months?
Maybe. Hopefully. That would shine a ray of hope on my JP Morgan Reserve app .. as I'm 29/24 which is certainly a slower pace than the OP :). At first look I thought it was some type of bible reference. I was about to break mine out and look it up in case it would help.

churnman

Level 2 Member
OK. While we were in Germany, I applied for this new card, figuring 100K UR and 3X on travel and dining would be great, especially as I have a huge cruise payment due in June. I was told it was under consideration but of course when I got home I had been rejected too many cards.

I called reconsideration line and got an agreeable man (with a NY accent!) who asked several questions and seemed most concerned with my total credit outstanding with Chase so suggested swapping some from Sapphire Preferred. He then asked what sort of limit I was seeking.

I went low($12,000) figuring my wife's higher limit would enable us to charge big ticket items in tandem since we can combine the points and I really wanted the 100K bonus for signup.

Please tell us how many new accounts you opened in the last 24 months, if you don't mind.

I found out I was pre-approved in-branch even though I have 18 cards in the last 24 months. I received instant approval in-branch, but that would not have happened if I had not been pre-approved. My wife, who has less cards opened in the last 24 months, same income stats and better FICO was denied. She was not pre-approved, although she applied in-branch anyhow to see what would happen. She hasn't called yet. She received the rejection letter which stated too many new accounts in the last 24 months.

On another topic related to the Reserve's $300 annual travel credit (if this is wrong place let me know). I want to use the credit for part of a vacation rental charge, but vacation rentals rarely code as travel but instead as real estate. This is not through VRBO, but direct charge by owner. Has anyone had success calling Chase to get the credit for a vacation rental when the charge didn't post as travel?

Also, if there are any vacation rental owners here, or someone with the answer, is there extra costs involved for a vacation rental property owner if they ask Visa to change their category code to travel instead of real estate? Is the processing fee different between travel vs real estate/rental property? I know VRBO does not code as travel, but some owners might be willing to ask issuers to change the category code to 'travel' knowing that people have cards that credit for travel purchases. I was going to suggest this to an owner I know, but if it would cause their processing to increase to a higher percentage fee then I won't suggest.

Last edited:

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Please tell us how many new accounts you opened in the last 24 months, if you don't mind.

I found out I was pre-approved in-branch even though I have 18 cards in the last 24 months. I received instant approval in-branch, but that would not have happened if I had not been pre-approved. My wife, who has less cards opened in the last 24 months, same income stats and better FICO was denied. She was not pre-approved, although she applied in-branch anyhow to see what would happen. She hasn't called yet. She received the rejection letter which stated too many new accounts in the last 24 months.

On another topic related to the Reserve's $300 annual travel credit (if this is wrong place let me know). I want to use the credit for part of a vacation rental charge, but vacation rentals rarely code as travel but instead as real estate. This is not through VRBO, but direct charge by owner. Has anyone had success calling Chase to get the credit for a vacation rental when the charge didn't post as travel?

Also, if there are any vacation rental owners here, or someone with the answer, is there extra costs involved for a vacation rental property owner if they ask Visa to change their category code to travel instead of real estate? Is the processing fee different between travel vs real estate/rental property? I know VRBO does not code as travel, but some owners might be willing to ask issuers to change the category code to 'travel' knowing that people have cards that credit for travel purchases. I was going to suggest this to an owner I know, but if it would cause their processing to increase to a higher percentage fee then I won't suggest.

I think I had 8 in 24 but I don't actually keep track.