Santiago, Chile

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
If my AA pts ever post.. I'll be heading to Santiago on the 12th, arrive 13th, depart 16th. So 3 nights. Wondering how the city is, and if there is enough to do there in order to stay in one place for the duration, or if there is any magical place nearby that is worth popping to instead.

Anyone got insight on what to do, where to stay (location or hotel) and whatnot?

FlyerMarc

Level 2 Member
was the 12th-16th of January? If not, I went there as part of a 4 week SA trip last year and could give some recommendations.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
If my AA pts ever post.. I'll be heading to Santiago on the 12th, arrive 13th, depart 16th. So 3 nights. Wondering how the city is, and if there is enough to do there in order to stay in one place for the duration, or if there is any magical place nearby that is worth popping to instead.

Anyone got insight on what to do, where to stay (location or hotel) and whatnot?
I think Easter Island is a mere 5-6 hour flight to the west. Ahn, but I'm sure the city offers some interesting things to see and do. :)

FlyerMarc

Level 2 Member
I think Easter Island is a mere 5-6 hour flight to the west. Ahn, but I'm sure the city offers some interesting things to see and do. :)
correctamundo. I ended up snagging some biz seats on Lan around Xmas to Easter Island. Met a cool person on the way over who I hung out for a couple of days on the island. 'wasted' most of the time by just sleeping since I was exhausted.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
We enjoyed it- especially the drive to Casablanca valley wine country. Santiago itself is a blur right now and not sure what else we did there.. Will have to look at the pics go find out... Epic trip all round though.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
There's lots of solid hotels. I've stayed at the Hyatt Santiago several times and like it very much. I had a room facing the Andes with a sitting area and a sofa facing the window and the view. Very few hotels focus their furniture placement on the reason for their value, and this hotel very smartly does.

I like Santiago. Some ideas:
- La Chascona, Pablo Neruda house, a must - it's in the Bella Vista area of Santiago
- Shopping in Bella Vista. I love lapis lazuli. Chile is one of two places in the world still mining it. The other is Afghanistan. Chile has about depleted its resources. Shops in Bella Vista had lapis in jewelry, in dishes, in salad forks. I really enjoyed browsing.
- Los Domenicos Handicraft Village, beside a colonial church
- Plaza de Armas, the historical center of Santiago. Be mindful of pickpockets and go in daylight hours.
- rent a car and drive up to Andes. Spectacular beauty. Eat at a ski lodge.
- take a day tour or rent a car and drive to Valparaiso and Vina del Mar. Track down the other two Pablo Neruda homes.

DornierDo28

Chile as a whole is far less interesting than the rest of South America but Santiago is incredible.
  • Some of the best street art on the continent. Valparaíso also within easy reach.
  • Some of the best theatre and classical music on the continent.
  • Good variety in supermarkets for self-catering.
  • Street-food is awful compared to other countries but the top-level restaurants are as good as anywhere and not massively overpriced compared to Peru and Colombia.
  • Decent techno and warehouse party scene.
  • The wine!