Samsung WF42H5200AW Washer

Erin

Level 2 Member
Hi all,

I came home to a washer that was running non-stop yesterday after leaving home with it turned off. It is 10+ years old am I'm done with it. I've found a replacement as follows:
  • Product Name: Samsung 4.2 cu. ft. front load washer
  • Product Number: WF42H5200AW
  • Recommended Price: $899
  • Current Best Price: 664.05
My best price is based on a sale price of $699 @ Best Buy and Sears. I will use GCs bought at a grocery store using my OBC in order to get an additional 5% off.

Any tips are welcome but this one needs to happen fairly quickly as we have 3 kids that are not going to slow down the rate at which they get dirty. o_O

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Aren't you're "moving?" -- Order online using a cashback portal & purchase through BBY or Lowe's with 10% off Mover's Coupon (which from what I've read, the current BBY coupon allows you to use it for online purchases) / or use Lowe's 10% off coupon. hhregg has it for $699..and I think you can sign up for their 10% off coupon.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Erin

I bought this model, the price I see in my inbox is $539.10, additionally I got 5% cashback and about 20% off via fuel rewards, so I guess my out of pocket was something around $400.

You certainly need a 10% off coupon (if BBY), and also a portal to buy from.

You might want to skip the OBC and buy GCs. You can get about 10% off used cards.

I think the order of events for the best bang for your buck is:

Use a 2% card (arrival etc) buy Amex GC via portal (2.25% TopCashBack if possible)
Use Amex GC to buy Store GC (if you use some places like raise.com there is 1% portal here)
Use Store GC via portal (5% or more)
Apply coupon

Note that when you start playing with GCs you need to hold them until you get your machine... I got some trouble when they canceled my order first time around and refunded random amounts GCs that I had (a bunch of Sears $200's) so it adds a bit of risk/hassle to do this.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Erin, there was an eBay deal for $200 Sears GC's for $175 (12% off), unfortunately it just expired the other day. If you're able to buy eBay GC's at 5% off..use those to buy the Sears GC's through eBay. ebates also started awarding 5% cashback for eBay GC's...

Erin

Level 2 Member
First off, thanks for the input. I came out of this one a little wiser about washers as well as how to get the best deal.

In the end, I bought the listed unit from HD after price matching the sales at Sears/BBuy ($699). I don't have a Lowes in town and they weren't going to deliver this far out for at least 3 weeks. I have quite a few pairs of socks, but not that many so that ruled out the moving coupon from them. I could not find a HD mover coupon ANYWHERE in the few hours that I had to research this one so I couldn't take advantage of that.

So here's how it went down. I bought a HD gift card from GiftCardZen using my Ink card (just closed my Arrival+) at an 8.5% discount. Then bought the washer at the matched sale price. I was under the gun from a time standpoint and HD/Sears were probably going to get it here this week but it wasn't set in stone until the order was placed. I had read in a couple of T&Cs that portal rebates weren't valid if a GC was used so between the delivery timing, the price matching, and the non-payout from the portal I just decided to go with an in-store purchase. In the end I paid $722 for the washer and new hoses.

I'm satisfied with the deal I got in the span of ~8 hours of research time. On a less essential purchase I'm sure I could have done better but these kids aren't getting any cleaner no matter how hard we try and tell them that they only have one pair of pants left.

Thanks again. I hope to use and contribute to this section of the forum in the future.

WoodenNickels

Level 2 Member
I usually have the best luck with Sears. Their prices are competitive and they usually have the highest portal payouts, cheapest 2nd hand gift cards, and will have other coupons/points that you can get.

Erin

Level 2 Member
One last note on this saga. I dug into the machine last night to get the stranded load of clothes out and realized that there was a diaper that had released the little gel balls into the drain line and clogged the pump. Once I got it all cleaned out and working again I decided to list it on craigslist just to see what it would get. $120 and quite a few interested parties later I will add this to my "savings" and feel good about the deal. We were ready to send the old machine off with the delivery guys but this way we came out a bit further ahead.

Moral of the story- It doesn't always pay to wait for an appliance to die before getting rid of it. There is decent cash in used equipment.

Sesq

Level 2 Member
I'd strongly recomend not getting a front loader. Its russian roulette to see if you get a mold problem due to the way they seal it. We dumped ours and went to a high capacity top loader (bought with a portal pay out, and a mix of discounted gift cards and amex sync perks).

Erin

Level 2 Member
I know I "closed" this one out but had to add an addendum to the final numbers. HD called while I was on my way to work this morning with the 30min warning. I had to reschedule a meeting so I buzzed into the office and then rushed home to meet the truck. As it happened, I got pulled over on the way home. Fortunately I only got a warning but all my efforts at savings were nearly wiped out by my carelessness.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Thanks @Sesq ... I have tried various solutions to get rid of the "odor" from my Kenmore washer -- the cleaners that contain bleach which you're suppose to run every month. But didn't realize there's probably mold.. The rubber seal is a bit gross and have to clean it...

Sesq

Level 2 Member
We cut the discharge hose when we pulled ours and it was about halfway closed with mold in that tube. Pretty gross. My understanding is the issue is partially a lack of airflow limiting evaporation, even when you leave the door open. Not sure if it works, but at least one guy was selling a fan to try to help the airflow. We never used it, but I was looking at it before we decided enough was enough. I can't find the one I was looking at, but this is one approach for $57 washerfan.com. I found one previously that was cheaper. Seems like it could be done with a computer fan for peanuts.